Popular Tags: [View All]
Tiago Perretto
Brazil
Curitiba
Parana
flag msg tools
Thinking about my next move.
badge
So, if my only options are these, then I shall...
mbmbmbmbmb

Hello, people!

The session reports follows bellow.

Trentini & Éder - Free People
Trentini - Gondor & Elves
Éder - Rohan, Northmen & Dwarves

Marcelo & Tiago - Shadow
Marcelo - Sauron & Minions
Tiago - Saruman, Southrons & Easterlings

We played with the War of the Ring: Lords of Middle-earth expansion.

The game started with some amazing roll by the Free People - all four dice allowed the Fellowship to move and, to make this even better, no Shadow dice showed an Eye, so the box was empty. However, the Fellowship was only moved once or twice, with the other dice being used to other things (I think bring Elrond to the board was one of those uses). Well, without Eyes, the Shadow could muster and move the armies of it a lot. Gothmog lead an army from Minas Morgul in the direction of Minas Tirith. A small battle happened in Osgiliath, and the units there didn't retreated and were destroyed. Not long after this, the Balrog awoke in Moria and a Saruman's army leave Orthanc to attack the Fords of Isen and, latter on, Helms Deep, which fell easily, beign caught almost empty.

The Fellowship passed through Moria, but the companions divided soon after (due to a Shadow card) and, with this, Strider and Merry went away, apart from the group. Little after, so did Gandalf and Pippin. Galadriel showed herself and took control of the defense of Lorien. Gothmog avoided Minas Tirith, were Strider became Aragorn, the King. An army of southrons, leaving Umbar, started to go towards Gondor, while a huge easterling force leave Rhûn to threaten the whole North.

The easterlings got near Dale, but the purpose of them is probably the Woodland Realm or Erebor. Dale show little resistance, being so outnumbered, and the city falls to the invaders.

A mixed forces of southrons from Umbar and orcs from Mordor threaten Minas Tirith. The troops under Gothmog command got near Dol Amroth. In Edoras, the rohirrim muster forces and get ready to responde to the attack made by the devious from Saruman. The Ringbearers are found by the leader of the Nazgûl and the path of them gets even more dangerous. An enormous army moves inside Mordor, going to Minas Morgul. Erebor is besieged by the easterlings, while, from Rhûn, a second army advances.

Erebor besieged and a second army coming from the east.

The counterattack of the rohirrim against Orthanc fails, even being lead by Gandalf, once a strong force stationed in Helms Deep leaves the fortress to intercept the rohirrim. The battle in the Fords of Isen threatens to kill everyone there, which seems fine by the side of Saruman's forces, so the rohirrim retreat. Gandalf then went to Minas Tirith, the help the defenses of the city. And the capital little after is attacked, and the fierce fight leaves heavy losses in both sides, but the leadership of Aragorn and Gandalf is key and the enemy is left unable to continue the attack. Dol Amroth is besieged by Gothmog. An immense orc army arrives in Minas Morgul and gets ready to advance towards Minas Tirith and continue the attack there. Troops coming from Moria besieges Lorien. The Ringbearers continue to be chased closely by the Nazgûl.

Gothmog leads a mixed army of orcs and southron against Dol Amroth, which resists in spite of losses and beign outnumbered. The army from Minas Morgul, lead by a Nazgûl, reaches Gondor and start the siege around Minas Tirith.

Saruman's army chases the rohirrim, which turns to the North, with the intention of taking an almost empty Dol Goldur. And this fortress is unguarded because the troops there went to help the siege against Lorien, but not even with this help the elven city fall - on the contrary: the invaders suffer great losses and conquering Lorien seems out of reach, mainly because Galadriel is still able to muster new forces to keep the elves fighting. The only thing that could turn the table for the Shadow is the coming of the Balrog of Moria, but because of a northmen and rangers battalion comes from the west an gets close to the gates of Moria, so the Balrog stays to defend the mines.

The easterlings are victorius in the battle for Erebor and conquer the Lonely Mountain. The second easterling army arrives in Dale and start to make preparations to attack the Woodland Realm, but the elves have enough time to muster forces and reinforce their position. The dwarves of the Iron Hills also gather soldiers, probably intending to take Erebor from the easterlings.

Dol Amroth still resists, basically to the last men. In Minas Tirith the siege is uneventful - the siege continues, but no new attacks are made. Lorien remains unconquered and even threatens to wipe out the whole besieging army. Moria strengthens its position and there is no more fear of a northmen attack. The easterlings still remain in Dale. But the fate of Middle-Earth was decided in Mordor when the Ringbearers entered there, after huge difficulties. They try to take the Ring to chasm of Mount Doom, however the path was too long without the companions, and the corruption of the Ring was stronger this way. And is in the first steps in the Mount that corruption finally wins the heart of the Ringbearers. Sauron, at last, recovers the Ring, and shadow and darkness will befall in all Middle-Earth.

It was an unusual play mainly due to an uncanny luck in my rolls - it was something amazing to behold: I failed once, and only once, when rolling to find the Fellowship when it moved. This, of course, meant for a lot of corruption and reveals, costing not only companions early on, but also actions to hide the Fellowship. Also, while revealed, we used some nasty cards to make matters even worst.

And my luck in with the dice wasn't only for the hunt rolls: in the battles it was there. This, together with Éder wanting to keep fighting in the Fords of Isen, made for an easy siege to take Helms Deep. But, this was the only fortress that fell easily. Dol Amroth resisted everything - it was four or five attacks, most o them with boost of cards, and yet the troops there resisted (in the end there was a single unit there). Minas Tirith wasn't ever in real danger of falling to the Shadow, not only because there were four (!!) companions there (Aragorn, Gandalf, Merry and Pippin), but also because there was several musters there. So when I attacked with the southrons, the Gondor army hold its ground instead of retreating into the city. I rolled 5 hits in the first attack (as I said, I was hot with the dice), but Trentini also rolled 5 hits. I attacked again, but gave only one hit, while receiving three. So I was unable to continue the attack - and this was the last attack made against Minas Tirith (the army of Mordor besieged, but didn't attacked it).

Mordor, by the way, after Dol Amroth, entered in another thorny situation: Lorien. The ability of Galadriel to be able to muster even under siege made all the difference. The invaders, even reinforced by Dol Goldur troops, attacked two, three times, and lost more and more every time.

More to the North, however, things were better for the Shadow. The easterlings took Dale and Erebor without too much losses. And I was able to muster and move another army from the East quickly, since Marcelo leave me the necessary dice, using, at first, more events and character dice. But, once he put the Mordor armies fighiting in Lorien and Dol Amroth, and moving towards Minas Tirith, I have no option but to give time for the Woodland Realm to muster and prepare.

With so many successful hunt rolls, Trentini and Éder tried, around mid-game, to go for a military victory. First with a rohirrim force that went for Orthanc, but was beaten by my army that took Helms Deep early on. And in this fight the Free People almost lost Gandalf. But most of the rohirrim still survived and started to go towards the almost empty Dol Goldur. Another attempt was made by a northmen army going to Moria, when only the Balrog was there - but we notice this and mustered there in time to prevent an attack.

With Lorien, Dol Amroth and Minas Tirith under siege, with the Woodland Realm soon to be in the same situation, and with Moria and Orthanc protected, Trentini finally gave ears to the pleads of Éder, to advance the Ringbearers at all costs. The path continued hard, and when they were about to enter Mordor, I used Cruel Weather to put them one step away, so the Free People had to use the last elven ring to advance again, and by this time the Ringbeares were lead by Gollum, since everyone else were split (Aragorn, Merry, Pippin and Gandalf) or killed (Boromir, Legolas and Boromir).

Inside Mordor the situation didn't improved, of course. And the Ringbeares only made as far as the second step in Mount Doom before being corrupted after an Eye tile (for 4 corruption) and a 3 tile were revealed. Victory for the Shadow by corruption.

The expansions adds some very interesing elements to the game - in ours, Gothmog and Galadriel were the ones with the biggest impact overall, but with more dice and some different cards (and even a new way to use Gollum when leading the Ringbearers), there is several new ways to approach the game as a whole. I liked it! And it was fun to see in a round the Free People have more actions to do than the Shadow!

Well, that was it!

Regards,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Collins
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Minis look great, and those location pieces! Wow. Where did you get those? I need to get them!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Perretto
Brazil
Curitiba
Parana
flag msg tools
Thinking about my next move.
badge
So, if my only options are these, then I shall...
mbmbmbmbmb
TartanArmy wrote:
Minis look great, and those location pieces! Wow. Where did you get those? I need to get them!

Hello, Martin!

Here, for the strongholds:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/773232/middle-earth-strongh...

Here, for the Mt. Doom:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/460343/mount-doom-miniature...

But these are made for the CE, which has a bigger board. In the link bellow you can get a different set of strongholds, however, they are supposed to work with the 1st and 2nd edition of the game.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/699072/miniature-stronghold...

Regards,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Itamar Parann
Israel
Ramat Gan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately, SickDave is not currently making any more of his minis, as far as I know....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.