Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Ellis
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
After trying a practice game with my son, he had a good question: When buying a unit card (like Champion, with the knight piece), you place the card in your discard pile, but where does the Knight piece go? Does it go to your Barracks, to be deployed, once you pull the Champion card from the draw pile (after reshuffling the discard pile into it)? This is the way we played it, but I thought I would ask here.

A second question he had was about the Guard card, with the Pawn piece: It has an Order for its training action, which states: "Deploy your unit in an empty square adjacent to your Sovereign unit." He was wondering if this meant he could do a normal pawn Deploy during the Deploy phase, then use the Guard's Deploy action to deploy another pawn next to his King (Sovereign)? I too am curious as to why the Deploy order was included as an action on the guard card, when it can already be deployed during the deploy phase. Is it there in case you have a sovereign unit more than two rows away from your side of the board and want to deploy it next to your sovereign unit, instead of row one or two? Or can you use it to deploy a 2nd unit during your action phase?

I also have a question about once you deploy a unit like Champion: Do you take its card out of your deck, or do you keep it by placing it in your discard pile for later use?

Let me summarize my 3 questions to make it easier to address them:

1. When buying a unit card, where does the unit piece go? (To the Barracks?)

2. Does the deploy order on the Guard card allow you to bring out a 2nd pawn during the action phase? (Or is it there just to allow you to skip the deploy phase, where you have to place the unit on row 1 or 2, and deploy it adjacent to a sovereign (King) unit anywhere on the board?)

3. Once you deploy a unit, where does it's card go? (Discard pile, or is it out of the game only to be referenced for its movement/attack details?)

Thank you for helping us out. We are both eager to play this, but want to clarify the rules before we get too far into a game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Eric Reuss
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
UglyElmo wrote:
1. When buying a unit card, where does the unit piece go? (To the Barracks?)

Nowhere. You've bought a card which can train a unit, but it hasn't done so yet!

To train the unit, you have to wait until that card ends up in your hand, and then play it as your Action.

When you do, two things happen:
a. You add a piece of the shown type to your Barracks from the supply.
b. The card leaves the game. (Because it's a Training Action - this isn't true of other Actions)

Quote:
2. Does the deploy order on the Guard card allow you to bring out a 2nd pawn during the action phase? (Or is it there just to allow you to skip the deploy phase, where you have to place the unit on row 1 or 2, and deploy it adjacent to a sovereign (King) unit anywhere on the board?)

There is no "Deploy" Phase per se - there is an "Order" phase, which lets you do one of three things(*):
a. Make a normal Chess move;
b. Deploy a piece from your barracks to an empty first-rank space;
c. Play a card from hand with an "Order:" effect.

The "Order:" effect on the Guard card just lets you deploy into a different place than usual. It's generally good for getting better positioning, and occasionally incredibly useful for blocking check.

(If the "Order:" effect on the Guard card were an "Action:" effect instead, then yes, you could use it as your Action to Deploy a second piece in one turn. There are some cards like this, but they're all on the expensive side, because deploying a piece as an Action is incredibly useful.)

(*) = Technically, four, because the rules distinguish between "moves which result in a capture" and "moves which don't", but I can't remember the terminology offhand.

Quote:
3. Once you deploy a unit, where does it's card go? (Discard pile, or is it out of the game only to be referenced for its movement/attack details?)

The card for a unit leaves your deck when you Train it (put it into your barracks), so by the time you Deploy it its card will already have left the game.

Hope this helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Ellis
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yes, it helps a great deal. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.