Marion Jensen
United States
Taylorsville
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So my son wants to get into Pokemon. I used to play Magic, and think it would be fun to get into a CCG with him. However, is Pokemon the best way to go? Is there a better game out there? I don't think he's dead set on Pokemon, I think he is more excited about spending time with me. And I'm excited to spend time with him. So if we can get a game that we both enjoy (not to difficult for him, but can hold my interest), then we will be better off all around.

Any suggestions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Have faith
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Check into these:

Memoir '44
Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation
Hey! That's My Fish!
Ticket to Ride
HeroScape
Hero Clix
Risk - The Lord of the Rings - Trilogy Edition
Risk - 2210 A.D.
Risk - Godstorm
Risk - Star Wars: The Clone Wars Edition
Nexus Ops

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thee Insidius Doktor Glaze & His Sidekick Donut Boy with the Amazing Monkeytime Dancers Ooh!
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
I_have_heard_the_mermaids_singing,_each_to_each. I_do_not_think_that_they_will_sing_to_me... We_have_lingered_in_the_chambers_of_the_sea By_sea_girls_wreathed_with_seaweed_red_and_brown Till_human_voices_wake_us,_and_we_drown
mbmbmbmbmb
CCG's get notoriously expensive quick. I'd try to cards on the cheap for whatever you end up choosing.

Check out my review of the Harry Potter CCG: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/119815 . You can get 1500 cards from the first 3 waves for ~$30 new in boosters if it sounds like it's up your alley.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander B.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'm a bit of a CCG fan, and I absolutely hate Pokemon, as well as Yugioh.

MtG is probably the best done, but has complex rules and is expensive.

Vs. System is similar to MtG in many ways and is a nice change if you liked MtG but want something fresh.

I really like the Call of Cthulhu CCG that is starting to go a bit out of print, but can still be easily found. Nice art (scary), great rules that are much easier to understand thatn the first two, and plenty of skill.

LotR CCG is of a similar level of complexity as the CoC CCG, but I like the CoC one much more.

The new Conan CCG isn't bad. Expensive and not the greatest art, but it has some nice new ideas in it.

In any case, I feel that Pokemon and Yugioh are extremely inferior compared with all of these. Limited power decks, ultra rare cards, and extreme expense for no reason is what I think of Yugioh, and Pokemon is just not... a quality CCG IMO.

One more thing to consider is Blue Moon. This allow deck building, has clean rules, and amazing artwork. Best of all, it is NON-collectable, meaning that you can buy the 8 main decks fairly inexpensively and each deck has a fixed set of cards to build with. In other words, no praying to "pull" some power rare as you waste tons of money cracking open booster packs: yuck! I highly recommend Blue Moon.

Have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
My 7 year old and I just got into Pokemon. I think its great for him, and his friends are getting into it too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thee Insidius Doktor Glaze & His Sidekick Donut Boy with the Amazing Monkeytime Dancers Ooh!
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
I_have_heard_the_mermaids_singing,_each_to_each. I_do_not_think_that_they_will_sing_to_me... We_have_lingered_in_the_chambers_of_the_sea By_sea_girls_wreathed_with_seaweed_red_and_brown Till_human_voices_wake_us,_and_we_drown
mbmbmbmbmb
diamondspider wrote:
The new Conan CCG isn't bad. Expensive and not the greatest art, but it has some nice new ideas in it.

We're talking about a third-grader or so... is it wise to expose a third-grader to cards like Split Head Like Ripe Melon, or the graphic Eye Gouge? And there's also the classic Impale To The Hilt. Just some food for thought!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander B.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
dr glaze et al wrote:

We're talking about a third-grader or so... is it wise to expose a third-grader to cards like Split Head Like Ripe Melon, or the graphic Eye Gouge? And there's also the classic Impale To The Hilt. Just some food for thought!

Haha! Good point... it is a bit bloody. Then again, Pokemon might be too cutsey for some 9 year old kids: probably depends on the kid.

I'd think that Blue Moon or the Harry Potter ideas would be pretty good. That LotR CCG by Decipher might appeal to kids who loved those movies too: it is pretty fun, even for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Fuller
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Some fairly cheap CCG's I have bought for my son

Kids next door- he loves the show the game is a cross between slapjack and war but with the advanced game you may enjoy it. I found it for 3 packs for a dollar.

Avatar- another show he loves with a really unique system

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
fullerbd wrote:
Avatar- another show he loves with a really unique system

Fully compatible with Pirates Of The Carribean, BTW.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Davidson
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
www.istroyworking.com
badge
www.istroyworking.com
mbmbmb
My 9 year old son and I like to play Pokemon and Harry Potter.

Harry Potter is a bit cheaper since you can get booster boxes on eBay for $15 or so. My son is reading the Harry Potter series so he really likes that game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
Canada
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pokemon is a good game. (I haven't played it "for real," but I've enjoyed dozens (hundreds?) of games of it with the Pokemon TCG Gameboy cartridge.)

Vs. System and Blue Moon (not a true CCG, but similar) are great games, but probably a little much for many 9-year-olds.

On the not-so-good side, I'd skip Yu-Gi-Oh. The gameplay is tolerable, but rather bland. (And personally, I don't like the theme or art.)

Or as one poster recommended above, there are many non-collectible games which are often cheaper and more fun. Do you require a CCG?

Edit: (I'd kinda forgotten the original question. shake ) Sure, Pokemon is fun. If the kid's keen on it, go for it. I don't know about the economics involved, or which sets are good, but the gameplay is fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clandaith wrote:
My 9 year old son and I like to play Pokemon and Harry Potter.

Harry Potter is a bit cheaper since you can get booster boxes on eBay for $15 or so. My son is reading the Harry Potter series so he really likes that game.

Look harder! It's more like $6-$8 for an entire box of 36 boosters!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Thorp
United States
Granite Falls
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"Come on! Come on! Come and get it, baby! Come on! I don't got all day! Come on! Come on! Come on you bastard! Come on, you too! Oh, you want some of this? "
mbmbmbmbmb
Remember people, the kid is 9! Ccgs like Conan are really innappropriate for that age. That said, I'd go Harry Potter, or MtG Portal, or maybe Overpower. All 3 of those you should be able to pick up for ubercheap.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Have faith
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can vouch for Harry Potter CCG. It's good. Basically MtG Lite, or was when it first came out (I haven't played it in many years.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Bolderson
United States
Circleville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was going to say that at 9, Magic itself is probably a decent choice. If you stick to the core sets, the cards aren't typically that tough to understand. Portal is a good kickoff point, as the cards are all basic, so you really just focus on learning the mechanics. The next step up from Portal is there are core starter sets out there which have a CD-Rom that teaches the game through interactive lessons on your computer. They also include basic decks to start with. Plus, it is a game you already have some experience with, so it would make his introduction to the game smoother I would feel.

If not that, the Vs. card game is a current one I'd point towards. The system never struck me as particularly difficult to learn (in fact it reminded me a bit of a refined Yu-Gi-Oh system), but it's been a while since I played.

As for a defunct (I believe) game you should be able to find cheap, Magi-Nation was a decent game, I enjoyed that one for the short time it was around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Hessler
United States
Oregon
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Might I suggest Blue Moon. It's an excellent two player game and its a non-collectable CCG. The "class" decks all are complete, ready to play, and they are beautifully balanced off of each other. An extra bonus is that each "class" (or people) in the game have their own unique style of play.

Deck building is also possible (but you don't have to do it either) which adds another level to the game.

This is a wonderful game for exploring different starategies and play styles.

Oh, if scantily clad females are something you think is not for a nine year old then you might want to skip the Mimix deck. Other than that anything else is fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Dowd
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play Duel Masters with my 8-year-old twin sons. We got started at the beginning (a couple of years ago), and started going to tournaments this past year. The game has enough complexity to hold my interest, yet is straightforward enough that one of my sons has won a local tournament even though he is younger than most players. There is a certain amount of goofiness built in; some set names include, for example, Evo-crushinators of Doom and Stomp-atrons of Invincible Wrath, and the flavor text on some cards contain running jokes. The short-lived TV program shared the sense of humor.

I'm told the game shares some elements of MtG, but I don't play MtG, so can't say how similar they are. Those who play both tell me that MtG is more complex, but that Duel Masters is sufficiently deep that they can enjoy both. The turn sequence is relatively simple, and I prefer it to, for example, Yu-Gi-Oh.

The game is by Wizards and is on its 12th set, due out soon, and that may be its last set. The first six sets can be found for around $30 for a booster box, the more recent ones will be more expensive. Sets 1 (Base) and 6 (the aforementioned Stomp-a-Trons) are core sets with the most variation (120 cards instead of 60); the tenth set (here's another good name: Shockwaves of the Shattered Rainbow) is also a core set, but is sold out and much more expensive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Werth
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
I found Pokemon to be enjoyable, Yu Gi Oh to be obtuse, confusing, and un-fun. I'd say no to Magic for now - it'll be there in 5 years when you want something more complex, and there's not the same "cool creature" aspect that kids' love in Pokemon and Yugioh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Have faith
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cull wrote:
Check into these:

Memoir '44
Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation
Hey! That's My Fish!
Ticket to Ride
HeroScape
Hero Clix
Risk - The Lord of the Rings - Trilogy Edition
Risk - 2210 A.D.
Risk - Godstorm
Risk - Star Wars: The Clone Wars Edition
Nexus Ops
Sorry, I missed that you're looking for a CCG

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silverdragon
United States
Unspecified
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My 10-year-old has been playing ccg since he was 3 (his choice, he he). I agree, I hate Yu-Gi-Oh, but we play MtG, Duel Masters (Magic light, if you will), and Xaiolin Showdown, which isn't bad. He also plays Blue Moon (not quite as expensive).

Good luck!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david funch
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
mb
There's a dead CCG called Magi-nation that you can probably get a booster box or two pretty cheap off E-bay.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/3279

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marion Jensen
United States
Taylorsville
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all for your input. A lot of great suggestions.

I had forgotten that with whichever CCG I picked, I didn't want to get sucked into a money pit, so Blue Moon or Harry Potter look interesting. My sone has read all of the HP books and would probably love that game. I'll let him get into MTG when he can buy his own packs...

Again, thank you very much. Some really great ideas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.