Subject: Is this runner a good idea? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Redston
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Inspired by this thread, but made more balanced: (hopefully)

What does this mean? two things:

1. Neutral cards don't cost you any influence.
2. The corp has no idea what to expect.

Basically, this is a 45/10 shaper/anarch/crim ID with the special ability of being able to include all neutral cards for free (except it's better than that because of the surprise factor of it being a neutral ID).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
General Norris
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
Well, it's not broken but it gives you 4 extra influence if you decide to play an Event deck (3x Lucky Find (6ing), 3x Oracle May (3inf) = 9 inf but you have less five influence = 4 extra inf).

I don't think trading a fun ability for that extra influence is particularly great design so I'm not fond of it. But it shouldn't be too powerful or too weak, just kind of dull.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Redston
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The fun part comes from the fact the corp has no idea what your faction of choice is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nushura
Japan
Sendai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kroen wrote:
The fun part comes from the fact the corp has no idea what your faction of choice is.

But but but... They will make their first usual turn (ice, ice, econ), and as soon as you play two cards they will know!

Replace her by Kate/Andromeda/Andie and you get a way better idea. Compare it to the Jinteki id with 3 possibilities!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Redston
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nushura wrote:
But but but... They will make their first usual turn (ice, ice, econ), and as soon as you play two cards they will know!

Yeah, I'm sure that after Sure Gambe>Lucky Find>Dirty Laundry they would know my faction. You can subtract one of those for Datasucker and they would still remain clueless. You can even mess with them by playing Desperado, making them think you chose criminal, but if fact you chose shaper. The possibilies are endless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lou Lessing
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Technicality: As the influence rules are currently written, a neutral runner would still have to pay influence on neutral cards unless specified otherwise in their rules text. You pay influence on any card that doesn't share a faction with your runner. Neutral isn't a faction, neutral cards don't have a faction. So any runner has to pay influence for neutral cards (it's impossible to match factions on a card that belongs to none) and a neutral runner has to pay influence on everything (it's impossible to match factions with anything if your runner doesn't have one.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea, but I wouldn't give them free neutral cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nushura
Japan
Sendai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kroen wrote:
Nushura wrote:

Yeah, I'm sure that after Sure Gambe>Lucky Find>Dirty Laundry they would know my faction. You can subtract one of those for Datasucker and they would still remain clueless. You can even mess with them by playing Desperado, making them think you chose criminal, but if fact you chose shaper. The possibilies are endless.

First of all, the possibilities are not endless. A first turn in hich you play neutral economy cards is great for corp. Your first turn did basically nothing so I go on with my plan.

And in any case, even if you play cards with small influence, the point is the same. As Corp I want to protect my serves and advance agendas. Sure, against a crim I will defend more my Hq and against shaper probably R&D....but the changes in the forst 3-4 turns are minimal. I suggest this exercise. Pick any corp deck and play the first 2 turns against a prepaid Kate. Then restart and with the same cards play against andromeda. How much do you think these 2-3 turns will change? I dont expect many changes.

This idea makes much more sense in a corp. I am a neutral corp that installed something face down, and iced rnd and hq. Do you run the face down card? It could be an astroscript if nbn, or it could be a psychic field if jinteki.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Redston
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All fair points, except that psychic field is just 1 influence. You can already run it wherever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk Meijer
Netherlands
The Hague
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Off topic: Nice avatar, kroen, it's good to see fans in this part of the internet.

On topic: Eh, boring. If something like this should exist, I would go with a 45/20: When deckbuilding, treat G00ru as the runner faction of your choice.

But thematically, G00ru should be Anarch.

I hope we get to see these faction-crossing IDs eventually, but there's a reason some neutrals cost influence, and allowing those influence free is too good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Boring.

I think ANR has been very good with creating abilities that OFFER choices rather than muddying the waters to take away choices. Saying "The corp wouldn't know what to expect!" is just as good as saying "Here's one more opportunity for someone to lose outright without any informed decisions! Wooh!"

That new Jinteki ID is one exception, but even then you know what to look out for, AND Jinteki is supposed to be about muddying the waters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Barton
Canada
Dryden
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mildly off the topic of the card's use: How did you design the card? Manually, Template, or is there an application like Arkham Horror's Strange Eons?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Jamet
France
Paris
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One way is to use this tool : http://cardcreator.grndl.net/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Barton
Canada
Dryden
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pyjam wrote:
One way is to use this tool : http://cardcreator.grndl.net/

Very Nice, thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Keddie
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
kroen wrote:

Off-topic much?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Redston
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, this was meant for the card creation thread

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.