Sebastien Phaneuf
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, I need a good suggestion for a game that can play with 2 and more players with some confrontation. I will mainly play the game 2 players but I want to be able to play it with more as well.

I was thinking in the line of:

Nexus Ops
Serenissima (is it any good with 2?)
Antike (is it any good with 2?)
Euphrates and Tigris (is it any good with 2?)

Other suggestions are welcome!

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Earles
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Elasund: The First City and Domaine both have good scalability from 2 - 4, and have elements of confrontation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastien Phaneuf
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I already have both (sorry I should have said it). Personnally I think that Domaine with 2 player sis kind of bland. I really like it witrh 3 or 4 though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Nexus Ops! (though I haven't played the others).

As a two player, it's a fight for the central space (the monolith). As three and four, you have more fronts to cover, so it's trickier in that respect. A very good game and different with different numbers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Johnson
United States
Boonville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Antike plays decent with two, but it is a quite different game than it is with more players. In a multiplayer game, attacking an opponent's city when it doesn't net you a temple sacked really hurts both you and the person you're attacking, giving your other opponents a net gain in position (resources) relative to you. In a 2p game, it plays out much more like a wargame, as there isn't much incentive NOT to attack. Still a good game though, and I believe that some of the 2p variants can alleviate this problem.

E&T is great with any number (2,3,4), in my opinion. While it is definitely a bit different with different numbers of players, I'd recommend it wholeheartedly. There is enough confrontation to stay interesting, and tactical play to keep your brain pumping.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Heaton
United States
Springfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't care for the two player vesion of Antike that came with it, but someone just posted a two player version that looks pretty good. It is played on the easten half of the Mediterrainian map, Greece vs Persia and with the reduced personality cards, it should play much like a 4 player game, except for that having to watch out for three other players thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
lochrist wrote:
Hi, I need a good suggestion for a game that can play with 2 and more players with some confrontation. I will mainly play the game 2 players but I want to be able to play it with more as well.

I was thinking in the line of:

Nexus Ops
Serenissima (is it any good with 2?)
Antike (is it any good with 2?)
Euphrates and Tigris (is it any good with 2?)

Other suggestions are welcome!

Thanks.

Absolutely my first thought was Tigris and Euphrates. Fascinating game. Highly confrontational, works best with 2 in my opinion but best with other numbers in other people's opinion.

A game that exercises a similar part of your brain is Reef Encounter and might be considered here.

Not sure if Caylus fits your definition of confrontation, but it might fit your needs anyway. You don't blow the opponent up, but there certainly is tension in competing for various actions.

Elasund does fit, is very confrontational, but I haven't yet decided if it's a good game or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mary T.
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dos Rios has lots of confrontation. I think it's great with 2, slightly less good with 4. Haven't played with 3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Pool
United States
Carmel Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blue Moon City

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Cubberley
United Kingdom
Luton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Try Dungeon Twister too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JP LaChance
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Attika - Best with two IMHO can play with 2-4

Knights of Charlemagne - 2-4 players

best of luck

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Sekela
United States
Camp Lejeune
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Without a doubt Nexus Ops is a great choice (although it is better with 3-4 players, but 2 players still works fine).

Others:

Age of Mythology (The Boardgame)- great for 2-3 players
Fury of Dracula - great for 2-5 players
Heroes, Incorporated - great for 2-4 players
Risk (any of the variants - pick your favorite theme)- great for 2-4
Blood Feud in New York - best with 3 or more players)

Good Luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Jones
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
custom golf clubs wrote:
Attika - Best with two IMHO can play with 2-4

I still think it's a fun city-building game with two players, but I think it becomes less confrontational. Usually for us it comes down to dividing the initial board about equally in half, giving up hope of connecting the shrines, and a race to build all your buildings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.