Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim U
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
My cousin Steve and I played GEV by Metagaming this weekend. Neither of us had played GEV before, although we’ve played a couple games of Ogre in the past.

We started by reading the rules. Yup. It's good to know the rules. The main differences between the Ogre and GEV rules are Overrun and Spillover. Overruns occur infrequently, but spillover affects nearly every attack.

We played the first scenario (Breakthrough) twice, using only the standard rules and the "basic" deployment. Each of us playing each side once to fairly deal with any play balance issues; the player with the highest combined point total would be the winner of the match.

In the Breakthrough scenario, the attacker tries to get 12 GEVs across the map. He enters from the south and earns points for exiting his GEVs off the north edge as quickly as possible.

We were playing with the 1st edition rules published by Metagaming. The map and counters were from the more recent Steve Jackson Games version. Set up was complicated in two ways:

1) The two versions of the map had a different numbering scheme, so the scenario deployment in the old rules referred to different hex numbers on the new map. After digging in my box of games, I eventually found an old map and resolved this.

2) Second, the 1st edition rules stated that the defender should deploy his units upside down to hide them from the enemy. The old counters were single sided, but the new counters we were using have DISABLED versions of the units on the reverse side. DELUXE!!! Since Steve couldn’t hide his units by inverting them, I took my glasses off; I can't see beyond 2 feet without them. Yup. Blind as a bat

ROUND ONE - STEVE DEFENDS AGAINST JIM'S GEVs

I noticed that Steve deployed a lot of blurry units on the east side of the map, so I entered along the west side to avoid them. Good thing I did, as one of those units was a howitzer defending the lake.

After turn one, defending units are no longer hidden, so I put my glasses back on and learned STEVE'S ARMOR DEPLOYMENT: Howitzer, MSLTANK, and 3 other wus-bag units that didn't see any action - I forget what they were.

I was able cruise up the west side of the map and pretty much cruise past the two infantry units he had there. Just as I was exiting, he managed to get a missile tank in range that took out a couple of my GEVs. Another GEV was disabled trying to pass through a forest hex and was quickly dispatched by Steve’s infantry.

Any disabled GEV ended up destroyed. 7 of my GEVs made it through very quickly. The final score was about 62-30 in my favor.

ROUND TWO - JIM DEFENDING AGAINST STEVE'S GEVs

JIM'S ARMOR DEPLOYMENT: 6 light tanks, 1 GEV, 2 HVY Tanks.

Armed with hindsight, I deployed all my defending units blocking two unobstructed paths that a GEV player might want to use to zip across the board. One each was located on the east and west sides of the map. The east side of the map has a clear path just east of the city, and the west side has a path through the lake.

Steve entered and speed along the east side of the map, down the river to the lake. Once on the lake, his little bastard GEVs started harassing my defending units, dancing in to attack and pulling back of range to the middle of the lake.

My deployment mistake became quickly obvious. I had picked no armor with range capabilities. Only my GEV could hit his units in the middle of the lake. Steve took out that GEV quickly and I was left with nothing that could easily attack him.

However, Steve left a stack of GEVs a couple hexes from shore. I could hit them if I entered the swamp hexes surrounding the lake. I risked it and ended up with half my light tanks disabled and a Heavy Tank permanently stuck! "Permanently" or no, the HVY didn't stay stuck long as Steve nailed it the very next turn.

My light tanks and Steve’s GEVs mixed it up at the lake for a couple turns. Any unit disabled soon ended up destroyed. Steve then pulled back from the lake and quickly flanked me in the middle of the map, swiftly taking out 4 infantry squads. Steve now had a comfortable lead and would win the combined match if he could score another 12 points.

I reacted to his flanking attack by pulling back and consolidated all my forces within tree cover just north of his GEVs.

Steve made a mad dash to the lake again, hoping to quickly breakthrough and get his GEVs off the map. Alas, it was not to be! His GEVs had to stop cold upon entering the swamp hexes. The swamp disabled a couple of his GEVs, and I managed to disable a couple more. He executed an overrun attack with three GEVs to make his final escape, which cost him another GEV. Only three GEVs survived to exit off the north edge of the map, and they were so late in the game that they were worth only 3 points each. Steve went from an 18-point lead to a 24-point loss in the final couple turns.

Conclusions

1) The first game gave me valuable insight for my own deployment, giving me an unintended advantage.
2) Disabled units are extremely vulnerable.
3) The defender needs some way of hitting GEVs hiding on the lake. GEVs, MSLTanks or Howitzers have this capability.

GEV is a simple, fast moving tank game and a lot of fun. I’m planning a rematch soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Since Steve couldn’t hide his units by inverting them, I took my glasses off

laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Reinert
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jimu wrote:

Since Steve couldn’t hide his units by inverting them, I took my glasses off; I can't see beyond 2 feet without them. Yup. Blind as a bat

Actually, bats have quite good vision. Oh, but you already knew that. goo

Ralph Reinert, the pedant

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dude, where did you get that map image!?

(I mean, I know ultimately where--I wrote the code which generated it--but I didn't think there were more than two or three people who ever used it.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim U
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
kuhrusty wrote:
Dude, where did you get that map image!?

I hit the print button on my GEV's GPS system, and it spit out: www.boardgamegeek.com/image/26024

p.s., your nose scares me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.