80 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Hot Deals

Subject: Best UK Store rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: online [+] best [+] gamestore [+] uk [+] [View All]
Rabid Hamster
msg tools
Im looking for advice on the best UK store. I have looked at Gameslore, ThePlaceforGames and Boardgameclub. Any suggestions for a good game too!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What criteria are you judging the shops by? BTW - some other game shops you missed include Shire Games and Leisure Games. Also for some games it can be worth ordering from Europe (cheaper prices and earlier availability) - either a dedicated shop like Adam Spielt or Playme or from amazon.de.

Also what type of game are you looking for? What have you played before?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Euron Crows Eye
United Kingdom
radcliffe
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have used Gameslore , Land of Games and IGUK, and all have been fantastic , quick deliverys and good customer service. I know for a fact Shire are great to , but I cant use them as they don't accept Paypal which is the only way I can pay for my games.

Andy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shire Games for the win!
A beacon of light in the (Nick knows my views of Stoke) that is Stoke....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve K
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Also ... your profile page doesn't mention where you live.

There might be a really nice bricks & mortar store near you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Fisk
United Kingdom
Stoke on Trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
Come on you Seagulls! Sami Hyppia's Blue & White army!
badge
That's weird. This bit used to mention Shire Games, and tell you all how wonderful we are. But it seems to have got deleted. Let's see what happens this time ....
mbmbmbmbmb
There seems to be a surfeit of rather disgruntled hamsters on the 'geek at the moment ...

This could call for a (humane) culling.

ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Palfreyman
United Kingdom
Swindon
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
My first choice (when I'm not supporting a bricks and mortar store) is IGUK http://www.iguk.co.uk/
but I have also used Shire http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/shiregames/
and Games Lore http://www.gameslore.co.uk/acatalog/index.html

and have had great service form all three

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Connor
United Kingdom
Brentwood
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As well as some others previously mentioned I've used these three without any cause for complaint.

The Games Store - http://www.tgs.co.uk
The Games Player - http://www.thegamesplayer.com
Second Chance Games - http://www.secondchancegames.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Rourke
United Kingdom
Chesterfield
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I am biased as shire games is where this hobby took off for me, and it is just down the road from me, so I would recommend there. Also they have a really good selection of unusual games.

Stoke on trent is really good too, very nice welcoming people (Isn't Hamster from Birmingham?)

If not there see if you have a local games store near you and if you can play and buy from there.

Try before you buy will help with your second question of what to buy, 'cause you can discover what you like and what you don't like

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike hibbert
United Kingdom
Gloucester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Moviebuffs wrote:
There seems to be a surfeit of rather disgruntled hamsters on the 'geek at the moment ...

ninja

Where's the back of the queue??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Robinson
England
Bewdley
Confusion
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I do my best to support Bricks and mortar, and for my money, Spirit Games in Burton upon Trent is excellent. It also has the added advantage of being where Gandalf the White works now that the LOTR franchise has dried up for a bit...(Can't imagine how they'll do a 4th, although I bet Hollywood are up for it!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mikehibbert wrote:
Moviebuffs wrote:

ninja

Shame on you Mike Hibbert, shame on you.
Just for that I will swear an oath to always kingmake AGAINST you for all eternity.

And yes, I'm in Birmingham and we have Waylands Forge which sometimes has good service and sometimes does not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike hibbert
United Kingdom
Gloucester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HamsterOfFury wrote:
mikehibbert wrote:
Moviebuffs wrote:

ninja

Obviously I want to find the back of the queue so that I can start pleading your case - what did you think I meant??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Fisk
United Kingdom
Stoke on Trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
badge
That's weird. This bit used to mention Shire Games, and tell you all how wonderful we are. But it seems to have got deleted. Let's see what happens this time ....
mbmbmbmbmb
mikehibbert wrote:
HamsterOfFury wrote:
mikehibbert wrote:
Moviebuffs wrote:

ninja

Obviously I want to find the back of the queue so that I can start pleading your case - what did you think I meant??

Wouldn't it make more sense to plead a case near the front of the queue?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike hibbert
United Kingdom
Gloucester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Moviebuffs wrote:

Wouldn't it make more sense to plead a case near the front of the queue?

Gotta start somewhere

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Key
England
Guildford
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another $0.02, or should that be 2 new pence....

Boardgameclub.co.uk have very good prices provided you can spend £50

My local is Guildford Comics & Games, on Chertsey Street

Leisure Games in Finchley has served me well in the past

The Games Shop in Aldershot is also worth a mention - basically its the outlet for (and used to be) Esdevium Games which is the sole distributor for a LOT of stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stephen
United Kingdom
Burton on trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I vote for spirit games, very friendly, easy to get to and a good stock.
Been buying there for over 15 years.

Shire games are also very good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Seddon
United Kingdom
Congleton
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shire Games and Spirit Games. Both are close enough for me to visit and have v. friendly staff. They also run The Cast are Dice and Beer and Pretzels respectively - and both are well worth attending!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Tanchel
United Kingdom
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shire Games are best.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben .
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tomski wrote:
Boardgameclub.co.uk have very good prices provided you can spend £50.

Yeah, that.

tomski wrote:
My local is Guildford Comics & Games, on Chertsey Street.

errrr.... and that.

tomski wrote:
Leisure Games in Finchley has served me well in the past.

Uh-huh.

tomski wrote:
The Games Shop in Aldershot is also worth a mention.

Yep - that too.

Hmmmmmm - maybe I don't need to post here. In fact, if you could just do all my 'geek posts for me from now on, Tom, that would save me a whole heap of time!!

laugh ninja laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Franklin
United Kingdom
Braintree
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tomski wrote:

Leisure Games in Finchley has served me well in the past

I'm very much in two minds over Leisure Games at the moment, at least in respect of their web site. They have a great selection, well presented, and delivery is fast and well-packed. But... their stock info is bordering on farcical, and they don't much seem to care. I called them on it after the last round of "all in stock, place order" / "oh no, we don't actually have that, maybe in a couple of weeks", and got a moderately rude response basically telling me that running a shop is hard, and if I was that bothered I should just come in to the shop or phone. (Ignoring the fact that shop is two hours travel from me, and that Finchley makes all the whining about Stoke pale into insignificance.)

No, I don't expect a small business to have the mighty well-oiled logistics machine of the likes of Amazon behind them, but presumably you have to run some kind of stock control to know what to order from your suppliers, and you have some record on your till / point-of-sale as to what you've sold today, so if you have a web site too, one of the end-of-day (or at least end-of-most-days) tasks ought to be to run a report of 'items where stock went to zero today' and set them to out-of-stock on the website. I'm a geek, so I'd automate it all, but I don't think it's too much to ask as a manual task.

And getting attitude for pointing out that woefully-out-of-date stock info on a web site reduces its use to me, a lot, frankly just stinks. (And I do mean really out of date - once I did some digging, there's at least one item that I've been round the dance with twice that turns out to have been out of print for a couple of years, and yet is still showing as in stock on their web site!)

Sorry for the mini-rant, but they annoyed me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Rollings
United Kingdom
Peterborough
Cambs
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to order from Gameslore and always had great service. Recently I have been using Shire Games, who have fantastic and personal service and a very easy to navigate website. They also stock some more unusual and hard to find games and they have the best bricks and mortar store that I have had the pleasure of visiting (ie it actually looks like a shop )

Getting worried about the negative comments about Stoke.... just booked a week in a holiday cottage near there....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Rollings
United Kingdom
Peterborough
Cambs
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dipdragon wrote:
Stoke stinks, but the Derbyshire Dales are nearby. Get away from Stoke and out past Leek and it's wonderful - highly recommended. Stay in the Dales and you could a great holiday and pop to Stoke for a visit to Shire Games - pure heaven. (Unless your wife falls off her horse when you're there of course. cry )

It is actually Leek we're staying in

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Fisk
United Kingdom
Stoke on Trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
markrollings wrote:
dipdragon wrote:
Stoke stinks, but the Derbyshire Dales are nearby. Get away from Stoke and out past Leek and it's wonderful - highly recommended. Stay in the Dales and you could a great holiday and pop to Stoke for a visit to Shire Games - pure heaven. (Unless your wife falls off her horse when you're there of course. cry )

It is actually Leek we're staying in

Leek is great.

Just remember - when you leave Leek - to head in the direction of Buxton, not Stoke

Some great walking to be had at "The Roaches" ... halfway between Leek and Buxton.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Ingram
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Best UK Store?

I wouldn't claim any of the bricks & mortar stores I've visited to be the best, how could I unless I'd visited them all!

I think you'd be better served by asking what stores if any are local to you, then go and judge for yourself. A lot will depend on what type of games you are looking for and whether you shop on price alone or you look for the 'community' angle as well.

If your question refers to on-line stores, then that's slightly different because of their 'accessibility' to all and from the thread so far it looks like you already have some good leads.

One piece of advice.
Include your location in your profile details then you might get some more relevant feedback (also include your real name, Forename at the very least).

Okay, let me throw some B&Ms into the pot (those I've had the pleasure to visit) not knowing whether they're in striking distance for you...

Playing Games - London : Excellent Wargames & Euros selection (in the basement)
Leisure Games - Finchley : haven't been for probably 4yrs but their selection used to be excellent.
Bishops Games - Coventry : not the biggest store. Limited range but they can and WILL get any game you desire reasonably priced. They also never fail to go above and beyond my reasonable expectations of Customer Service - absolutely first class.
Spirit Games - Burton : visited almost a year ago to the day (following the 2005 Derby Games con) and whilst there appeared to be a good range I was a little disappointed that the wargames section was smaller than I expected. However, they were going through a shop refitment at the time so everything seemed a little chaotic and maybe stocks had been temporarily displaced?

There you go. Only 4 but not a bad one between them and they all have merits in their own rights.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.