Independence
Missouri
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey everyone.

I have decided to team up with my father, (an old school carpenter) to design, produce and sell Crokinole boards.

We have amassed some very nice wood... (maple, oak, ash, cedar, mahogany... etc.)
And now I am brainstorming (pie in the sky stuff) about what to do to make ours unique.

What sorts of things have you all wanted to see on Crokinol boards?

I am a Graphic designer, and a painter by trade, so sky is the limit on ideas.

I have wondered about a Fire and Ice board, where the start zones have subtle flames / ice-cycles.
I have also considered doing theme boards, i.e. Battlestar Galactica, etc.

What so you all think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steve
United States
SE
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds pretty cool, custom boards..

I'd love to see a Philadelphia Eagles board, to play while tailgating

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to see a $50 price tag, for a board worth using, or a kit that I could assemble and finish myself for the same price, or even just the circular blank, unfinished, for $20. But that's just me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben .
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do they come in wicker? ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Waits
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There seems to be a shortage of affordably priced, quality, plain old Crokinole boards.

--Steve

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loren P
United States
Winston-Salem
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmb
I would do one that's the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel.
Also, I wonder if it would be cool to paint a set with Black Light paint and play under a black light.
I also think it would be cool to do something like the cover of Zendo.

You could do like what appear to be ancient paintings of people playing Crokinole.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Johnson
United States
Independence
Missouri
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah. I agree that the boards are pricey.

In researching what it will cost, I've realized that its just not a cheap indevor.

Materials, even the cheap ones, add up and then there is the time involved. Pine boards for example are the cheapest way to go, but in my opinion, look less than stunning. Part of the attraction in this game is the quality of the board. That's why Im thinking that a pine board with custom graphics maybe an affordable option.

Over the course of fact finding, I have found that I can probably make a great board for around $60 to $70. To sell it for only $100, would be a tragic waste of time. So I can see why the boards are upwards from $150.

Im not sure what ours will cost... At this point it's an idea on paper. I know that I will make 2 or 3 at least... one for me, one for a friend, and we are thinking about making one for the purpose of loaning it to several of the 'Pool Bars' here in town.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan O'Rourke
United States
Tobyhanna
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I don't usually go for the ones with designs on them. The most attractive ones to me involve nice pieces of wood, with stain in natural colors that balance or contrast well to appeal to the eye.

I really like about 20% of the Hilinski boards. I don't like any of the ones with graphic designs. And many of their color choices I don't like. On their gallery, I love Cimarron, and next I like Bolero. But I don't really like any of the other color choices, however they've done many boards I like that aren't in the gallery. An attractive wood pattern, like the North Star board, I very much like as well.

I think I'm with the others, in that I would prefer a quality, simple, affordable board. However, I would not buy a board that is made affordable by cutting corners or a reduction in quality. Basically I want a Hilinski, Eagle, or a Miracle Ventures board for $100 or less including a matching score box/disc holder and a carry case.

Ryan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Johnson
United States
Independence
Missouri
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FerrumEtBombyx wrote:
I would do one that's the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel.
Also, I wonder if it would be cool to paint a set with Black Light paint and play under a black light.
I also think it would be cool to do something like the cover of Zendo.
You could do like what appear to be ancient paintings of people playing Crokinole.

Hmm. Blacklight could be cool... The pucks would have to be re-painted, as we are going to buy those on-line (way too much of a hassel to make those!)

Has anyone used a découpage method on something like this before?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Johnson
United States
Independence
Missouri
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
facesnorth wrote:
I don't usually go for the ones with designs on them. The most attractive ones to me involve nice pieces of wood, with stain in natural colors that balance or contrast well to appeal to the eye.

I really like about 20% of the Hilinski boards. I don't like any of the ones with graphic designs. And many of their color choices I don't like. On their gallery, I love Cimarron, and next I like Bolero. But I don't really like any of the other color choices, however they've done many boards I like that aren't in the gallery. An attractive wood pattern, like the North Star board, I very much like as well.

A thought just occured to me. What do you think of a board with a ying-yang '15' area (wood inlay) with a wood inlay tiger on one side, and a wood inlay dragon on the other?

Hard to accomplish, but it could be a signature piece....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan O'Rourke
United States
Tobyhanna
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You're right, I'm dreaming. In reality, I do want a quality board, like I said, and I know I will have to pay $150 or more. I wouldn't pay less for a junky board like I said. And I personally wouldn't be interested in an inferior piece of wood with a graphic design, but that's just my taste.

My ideal board would feature an attractive piece of wood like purpleheart or padauk. Playing this game, I want to enjoy the qualities of the wood, much like a fine go table.

Come to think of it, the premium gallery on hilinski's site has a few more I like. Here's a nice padauk one:

http://www.crokinoleworld.com/slideshow/phpslideshow.php?dir...

That's the kind of board I would buy (and pay $200 for).

Ryan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Robinson
England
Bewdley
Confusion
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like a board that has the still-beating heart of Elizabeth J. Magie impaled in the centre. I'd also like to swap the little discs for Shuriken (Might hurt my nails though...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
June King
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
Bring me her heart in this box.
mbmbmbmbmb
Bluenose wrote:
I'd like a board that has the still-beating heart of Elizabeth J. Magie impaled in the centre.

Apparently, she whupped you pretty bad at your last Crokinole match.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Johnson
United States
Independence
Missouri
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
facesnorth wrote:
You're right, I'm dreaming. In reality, I do want a quality board, like I said, and I know I will have to pay $150 or more. I wouldn't pay less for a junky board like I said. And I personally wouldn't be interested in an inferior piece of wood with a graphic design, but that's just my taste.

My ideal board would feature an attractive piece of wood like purpleheart or padauk. Playing this game, I want to enjoy the qualities of the wood, much like a fine go table.

Come to think of it, the premium gallery on hilinski's site has a few more I like. Here's a nice padauk one:

http://www.crokinoleworld.com/slideshow/phpslideshow.php?dir...

That's the kind of board I would buy (and pay $200 for).

Ryan

I don't really view pine as inferior... its just less expensive. In the hands of an artisan, pine can be very pleasing. I agree that specialty woods are best and wood inlay is prefered to painted graphics. But i plan to offer the graphics on the less expensive pine boards since I don't feel that the painting of the wood detracts from it's elegance.... like it would from mahagony or cherry.

-Ryan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Johnson
United States
Independence
Missouri
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think a Paduk or purpleheart board would be awesome... so would a teak or cocobolo. But these materials are so expensive that its best to leave them as inlay pieces.

For example; here is what the material would cost alone for these woods... (3' x 3' area, 1/8" thick)

Paduk: $90 - $100
Purpleheart: $60 - $70
Teak: $160 - $180
Cocobolo: $180 - $200

as compared to:

(1/4" thick)
Ash: $40
Mahagony: $60 - $70
Cherry: $50 - $60
Birch: $50

All very nice, but on the low end here... your board is going to cost $140 min.

So thats why Im looking at pine or cedar, with a design option... as well as some ultra nice inlay boards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Green
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Forget pine. The wood's too soft, and would start to get dings, dents and scratches to easily. Cheaper, but problematic if you're going for long-lasting visual quality.

I recommend birds-eye or curly maple. Visually gorgeous, nice hard wood, and it would have long-lasting visual appeal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Would a piece of glass work or would it get scratched to pieces?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Johnson
United States
Independence
Missouri
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Glass is not an option, since it wont hold wax well, and would look terrible with the wax. Plus... glass is expensive as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
another n00b question, then I'll shut up--would pine really get dinged up if it had the prerequisite 50 coats of polyurethane? Thanks...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Reiners
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Captain America's shield would be great for a crokinole board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Marchlewitz
Canada
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice quality solid wood, regulation size with a great finish is what I'd want. No silly graphics to musk it up. : )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. David Koch
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Hey...That Tickles....
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryan,
Very interesting thread.
I have been thinking about a Crokinole board for the family.
Looking at some of the other sites that feature handmade boards, I find myself drawn to the "burl" type patterns most interesting.
In your experience, does this type of pattern interfere with the playing of the game?

I'm from Hawaii originally, so the woods that most appeal to me are:
Koa
and
Teak
and after to moving to Indiana, I now also find myself drawn to Cherry and other lighter tone woods.

Would be interested in talking to you about costs, timeline, etc.

Thanks,

Dave

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Johnson
United States
Independence
Missouri
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
craniac wrote:
another n00b question, then I'll shut up--would pine really get dinged up if it had the prerequisite 50 coats of polyurethane? Thanks...

I think most of us are noobs when it comes to this topic... and since i don't see Norm Abrums posting....

Pine is soft, but isn't considered 'soft-wood' It would ding if you dropped anything heavier than a small ball bearing on it probably, but add sufficient wax and take care of it and no... you shouldn't have to worry about it.

Really... should anyone have anything but pucks in their hands when they are hovering over your boards? I dont thing dings are an issue unless you dont have a cover for your board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Johnson
United States
Independence
Missouri
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
everlong205 wrote:
Captain America's shield would be great for a crokinole board.

That would be nice... Im sure I could find the tinted stains to make that a really nice looking board.

Also... anyone reading this post that either wants to make boards or does already... feel free to use the ideas generated! The more the merrier! I'll call dibs if I can!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had very good luck making 2 boards out of one sheet of finish quality (birch I think?) plywood. Of course, I didn't notice the terrible warp in the plywood when I bought it and never really got it fully out, but it's small enough that it doesn't affect play.

All of the parts and such (plywood, finishing materials, bumpers, and playing pieces) all came to around $75 US for two boards. But it took me well over a week to make them both. I could definitely do it again faster, but I can't see doing it so much faster that it would become affordable to sell them for under $100. Although, the idea about selling round blanks is very interesting. I'll have to work out some scenarios on that to see if it'd be a worthwhile project (if you could find a decent/affordable way of shipping, there might be a decent market for it)....

Basically, it's not the materials, but the time that makes them so expensive. I still can't imagine how the Hilinski guys do their custom boards at the price they do it.

Someday I plan on getting my act together and putting my plans up for other geeks. Hopefully, it'll help avoid the same mistakes I made.

As far as design, Captain America's shield is an awesome idea (even has the right number of circles, if you don't mind truncating the outside most ring). Personally, I find a plain board very nice to play on and score. Possibly a multi-colored inlay depicting the scoring areas would probably be as far as I'd want to go with the design. But I tend to lean towards the simple side of things when it comes to my tastes in woodworking.

Good luck with your endeavour, Ryan. I wish you the best.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.