Hide
5 Posts

Takenoko» Forums » Rules

Subject: Objective cards - showing or not? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Larry Grady
msg tools
We just got this game for my 8 yo daughter for Christmas. Great for the family, just enough light strategy to engage the older kids (and dad) but cute and simple enough to keep her interest.

After our first game I have a question. When you complete objectives do you leave them face up or down. I think you definitely need them spread out or at least let your stack be accessible so your opponents know how close you are to finishing the game. However, I thought it may be more fun/challenging to have to remember or guess how many points are in that stack from the fulfilled objective reveal. If I know exactly how many points are out there and what I need to win I would probably hoard completed objectives until I had enough, that could be fun strategically as well.

The rules don't seem to directly address this. What do you all do? Thanks and Merry Christmas!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Monsen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the rules state when you complete an object you place it face up.

they don't say you can hide objective cards on top of each other.

this would be a case of implicit/explicit, which is if the rules don't cover a situation, you can't do it. the rules don't say you can hide objective cards (they do say they are face up), therefor you cannot hide objective cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hindmarch
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
We leave the completed objectives face-up. Interested in trying face-down, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MunchWolf wrote:
the rules state when you complete an object you place it face up.
Indeed, very explicitly they do.

To complete an objective, the player places the card face up in front of him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For really hard-core Takenoko play with unclaimed objectives open (face up), and claimed objectives closed (face down).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.