Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Will Chambliss
United States
Phenix City
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK guys, I want to pick up about $35 worth of game extra for my collection.
I have 2e Base, LoR, and Crown of destiny.

Is there anything else really nice to have?

a small expansion and a Lt pack?
or SoN?
a hero monster pack?
thanks in advance for input.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kiss Balázs Kunó
Hungary
Fót
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the SoN campaign, monsters and heroes - IMO this is the best choice. MoR or Trollfens are also a good choices, and I dont like the hero-monster packs, I think these product don't worth the cost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hungry Hippo
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Having at least one lieutenant pack adds a whole new dimension to gameplay, so I would certainly recommend one of those (I have Skarn). My favorite expansion would have to be Manor of Ravens so that would be my recommendation as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Summerfield
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
I (third?) these thoughts. Shadow of Nerekhall provides something drastically different from the base game in terms of theme, and Manor of Ravens has an excellent mini campaign. As far as bang for your buck, having Manor and Skarn added into any normal campaign adds a lot of value to both items.

Skarn is used in each quest in Manor, so he'll definitely see field use as a lieutenant at least once per campaign and if certain circumstances can be achieved, you can use him as an agent in as many as 6/9 (3 Act I and 3 Act II quests) of the remaining quests from the big-box campaign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Chambliss
United States
Phenix City
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems like Manor or ravens is a really well liked small box. Sell it (like give me reasons not your copy)
I'm torn because I do think SoN is the best for the $ but i want some Lts...
I don't want to spend more than $40

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk Meijer
Netherlands
The Hague
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Big box expansions:
+ Best bang for your buck
+ 4 heroes, 4 classes, 4 monster groups
+ New campaign
- Quests don't integrate into existing campaigns
- Expensive

Small box expansions:
+ 2 new classes
+ New campaign (Trollfens and Manor have really good campaigns, imo)
+ Quests are integrable into running campaign (via Rumors)
- Only 2 heroes and 2 monster groups

Hero & Monster collections:
+ 4 heroes, 3 monster groups
+ 2 quests, 1 rumor card
+ Cheaper than other expansions
- No new classes
- No new Overlord class
- No new campaign

Lieutenants:
+ Miniatures
+ Inexpensive
+ Having one really improves a campaign
- Having more than one doesn't

The Raythen and Serena lieutenants are must-haves imo, because they come with interesting heroes.
Other than not, none of these are bad choices. Big boxes are more bang for your buck, but it's also more money at once.

And who are we kidding, you're going to get them all in the long run anyway
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Benedikt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Get SoN. It offers a completely new and different atmosphere via the city maptiles, highly interconnected maps in the campaign (contrary to the corridor like maps of the base game and LoR to a certain extent), 4 very cool classes and 4 awesome monsters with very specific abilities.

Imo it is the best expansion you can get for this game and seeing that you already have a few extra monstergroups, there is no reason not to get it.

If you plan on getting SoN either way, your campaigns will last for a good amount of time and you didn't grow old of the atmosphere of LoR and the base game, Crusade of the Forgotten hero&monsterpack is also a very good choice.

However make sure you get SoN at some point in time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Chambliss
United States
Phenix City
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks for the help guys.
I got LoW, Valyndra, and Queen Ariad.

I chose this over SoN because i have 2 full campaigns to play i wanted additions. i know it would have added a lot but I think a chose right. really if I'm honest a bgger (shnr or something) when asked on a forum, whats your favorite small box posted a pic of Valyndra. I was sold. I really like painting. I do wish it came with 1 more monster group so it didn't feel as small.
I got queen ariad as to have the bosses of all sets I have a bunch of old lot minis i made into proxies for most humans lets from the base game.

dwjmeijer wrote:

And who are we kidding, you're going to get them all in the long run anyway

too true.

I will get SoN when we are ready for something fresh.

thanks again

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk Meijer
Netherlands
The Hague
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not the small-box expansion I would have picked, but I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.