Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael D. Kelley
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen several suggestions that with 2 players, the overlord should draw 1 card a turn, and with 4 he should draw 3 a turn. What's the general thought/opinion on this? Does it balance things a bit, or is it terrible?
-Mike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently played a game with 4 heroes where the I, as Overlord, drew 3 cards per turn to try to balance things. I defeated the Heroes...so it certainly wasn't the hero cakewalk that the normal rules can lead to. Whether or not it is balanced is hard to say though.

I do like the idea in theory.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander B.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
I can say one thing for sure: never play 2 player with the OL drawing two cards a turn.

With the other player playing two heroes, there is just too much spawn to hack through. This assumes that the OL is good, knows how to do hit and run tactic, save up spawn cards and such: in other words, it assumes both players are good and familiar with the game.

The only problem with 1 card a turn is that it might not be quite enough. Maybe 1 card one turn then 2 the next?

As far bigger games, yes, when you have 4+ heroes, it can get too easy for the players. Drawing 3 cards might be needed depending on the scenario and the skill of the players.

It isn't a bad way to tweak the game. One thing is for sure about this game: it needs to be carefully balanced, or it can be pretty boring. The more I play, the better I get at balancing based on how good I know the players are, how tough the scenario is, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Forsythe
United States
Strafford
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmb
I do one card per turn for two heroes and like it. I haven't gone back and forth to try it both ways on the same scenario, but it did feel like with only two heroes, it was easy to swamp the heroes with spawns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My experience with drawing 1 OL card for 2 heroes has been good. The heroes are still winning less than 50 percent, but they weren't winning at all when I was drawing 2 cards. Besides less spawning, the biggest impact on the OL is that it's very difficult to get Power cards in play - you just don't generate enough Threat.

I have never tried a 4-hero game, so I don't know what the impact of drawing 3 cards would be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Spoto
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played the first 5 or 6 scenarios scenarios as the OL, with several different groups...

When playing against 4 heroes, at least with veteran players, drawing 3 cards for the OL per turn makes the game much more interesting and competitive. I'd still likely use 2 cards per turn against 4 newbie players, especially if they're not big gamers.

With only 2 cards vs. 4 heroes, the limited spawn options, diverse collection of characters/skills, and players who know to push hard for the first treasure, all add up to big trouble for the OL. All 4 characters getting to bronze/silver gear typically happens before the OL can activate the good stuff. Certain combinations of skills and items are just incredibly powerful, and nothing the OL has usually comes close, especially late in the game - which is just when hero "posession" gets interesting devil

I'd really like to try some of the later scenarios with this rule - they do appear harder, but unfortunately also much *longer*. And already being a 4+ hour slugfest for the earlier ones, I'm not sure if a full game is realistic for a typcial evening. So whether a 3-card-draw vs. 4 heroes is overkill for those, I can't really say.

But against 4 competitive, experienced gamers, 3 OL cards makes the game just about right, for the scenarios I've played.

I haven't tried 1 card vs. 2 heroes, but I've heard positive things about that tweak as well....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.