Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Curtis
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I just got the game, and though I've played a couple times with a friend, I have spent a few times enjoying the solo game. Its a lot of fun, but not particularly difficult. I've tried the money goal and the solid with all contacts goal without problem. Then I tried the misbehave goal, but when I finished it, I noticed I was solid with 4 contacts and had $20,000 with 5 turns left. So I flew to Patience and got a goal to be solid with her and managed it on my last turn. So in the 20 moves I was able to complete all three solo goals together. I've played with Mal, Marco, and even Naomi (which I thought would be harder because you already start with 4 crew, so her bonus is very minimal, but she was the one I had when I completed all 3 goals). I did the River-Simon combo crew in only 1 of the three, and really tried a completely different set of starting crew for each game. Was I just really lucky or is it pretty easy?

Has anyone made up some solo story cards that are a little more difficult? Or even some that have a certain set crew of 5 you start with? I've seen most of the story cards made up here are for multiple people, but I may have just missed any that were solo.

This game is so fun, but if its really this easy to win it kind of takes the replay value and challenge out of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remus Rhymus
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I think that this situation absolutely requires
badge
a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part!
mbmbmbmbmb
Here ya go: Solitaire Story Card: Beholden to Niska AND solo house rules to add difficulty
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Dexsting wrote:
So I just got the game, and though I've played a couple times with a friend, I have spent a few times enjoying the solo game. Its a lot of fun, but not particularly difficult. I've tried the money goal and the solid with all contacts goal without problem. Then I tried the misbehave goal, but when I finished it, I noticed I was solid with 4 contacts and had $20,000 with 5 turns left. So I flew to Patience and got a goal to be solid with her and managed it on my last turn. So in the 20 moves I was able to complete all three solo goals together. I've played with Mal, Marco, and even Naomi (which I thought would be harder because you already start with 4 crew, so her bonus is very minimal, but she was the one I had when I completed all 3 goals). I did the River-Simon combo crew in only 1 of the three, and really tried a completely different set of starting crew for each game. Was I just really lucky or is it pretty easy?

Has anyone made up some solo story cards that are a little more difficult? Or even some that have a certain set crew of 5 you start with? I've seen most of the story cards made up here are for multiple people, but I may have just missed any that were solo.

This game is so fun, but if its really this easy to win it kind of takes the replay value and challenge out of it.

Welcome to the boards, Jason! You've certainly come to the right place!

I agree with you that the game is a ton of fun -- but that the solo card is not particularly challenging.

Good news: without even diving into variants (and there are a fair amount), you can apply the "solo turn" to other Story Cards. I don't think it works well with "money grabs" but does work perfectly with any of the "story" oriented cards (in the core game, Niska's Holiday, Harken's Folly, and King of All Londinium).

A lot of folks play solo and have tried variants. I recently collected links to many of my threads here:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1281407/whats-gwek-been

You'll find, among other things, a small collection of threads dedicated specifically to solo play, but there are other resources that you might find useful depending on your taste.

Want to make the game more challenging? Why not try Leader Disadvantages?

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1239700/complications-leader...

Or maybe add an NPC opponent, like that low-down scoundrel Ott:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1259698/now-something-totall...

Alternately, if you'd prefer to make the game feel more "like the show", consider some of my house rules here, which (among other things) give each professional a "special ability":

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1257194/cards-house-rules

Or "Loyalty tokens":

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1278954/loyalty-tokens-gweks...

Or "Crew Relationships":

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1088489/relationships

Personally, I like a lot of variants to be "modular" so I can mix and match depending on how I feel that day. Hopefully, at least some of these ideas will interest you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've still only ever tried the solo story card in the box, but really need to try some of the alternative ones on here sometime.

The solo game is pretty easy, though aiming for all the goals makes it tougher. Having a hand-picked leader,ship, and crew makes the game quite a bit easier. So what I tend to do is to greatly restrict the choice of starting crew, usually by just choosing from those available in the discard piles at the start of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay K
United Kingdom
West Malling
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
Nothing to see here. Please move on
badge
It's about time!
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried the solo mission with no crew and the expansions added in. That made it tougher! A lot tougher! Still not won yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.