Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Mason
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope this idea hasn't already been proposed elsewhere. I have been experimenting with a few of the new NPC ideas here on the forums. I've come up with an alternative way to introduce them to the game: The fame point track.

In a 20 FP game, I place a marker on the 5 FP, 10 FP, and 15 FP spaces. The first player to reach one of these FP spaces on the track collects the token (representing an NPC), and rolls d20 to randomly spawn this NPC into the game.

I have only tested this idea in a mock-solo game, so it hasn't really had a thorough play test. The concept is that a tier 1 NPC would spawn when the lead player reaches 5 FP, a tier 2 at 10 FP, and a tier 3 at 15 FP. This allows for the NPCs to increase in strength as the players advance through the game. I have been going with a pirate theme for the NPCs, but this would certainly work for the alien invasion theme that others have proposed.

During pirate encounters, the player may choose to: 1) Surrender all cargo, 2) If no cargo, pay the pirates 1,000 credits, or 3) Fight it out. If they choose option 3, and win, the player collects the standard [1 FP x pirate ship tier] + [bounty accumulated from previous combats] + [any cargo and payoffs collected]. When defeated, the pirates do not respawn like the standard NPCs.

What does everyone think? Any holes in this concept that negatively impact gameplay?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kip Kwiatkowski
United States
Bethel Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Stop it! That tickles! :P
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea of NPCs getting stronger, but they will still be outclassed due to the "attack stacking" rule. Introducing them based on FP, means that some will be introduced late in the game, and will be virtually ineffectual.

Due to being outclassed the option to fight the Pirate is like giving someone a FP. That's why Outlaws run or move on without direct interaction.

As I've said before, the game is much more fun if you do 1/1 die rolls. It makes the NPCs impact on gameplay much greater. That rule should be nerfed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
kgk4569 wrote:
As I've said before, the game is much more fun if you do 1/1 die rolls. It makes the NPCs impact on gameplay much greater. That rule should be nerfed.

It would also make combat against non-NPC's near impossible. Not a good trade-off at all. Since players can stack shields, prohibiting the stacking of weapons would mean no weapon except MAYBE the d20 missile would have very little chance of doing any damage to a player.

I've never seen a player one-shot an NPC. It could happen, but it would take a very good attack roll and a very poor shield roll for the NPC. Usually it takes 2 or 3 turns to kill an NPC at best, and that's not all that much better than most other methods of gaining FPs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kip Kwiatkowski
United States
Bethel Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
kgk4569 wrote:

It would also make combat against non-NPC's near impossible. Not a good trade-off at all. Since players can stack shields, prohibiting the stacking of weapons would mean no weapon except MAYBE the d20 missile would have very little chance of doing any damage to a player.

I've never seen a player one-shot an NPC. It could happen, but it would take a very good attack roll and a very poor shield roll for the NPC. Usually it takes 2 or 3 turns to kill an NPC at best, and that's not all that much better than most other methods of gaining FPs.
1/1 means no stacking shields.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kgk4569 wrote:
sigmazero13 wrote:
kgk4569 wrote:

Well, to each his own, I guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kip Kwiatkowski
United States
Bethel Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
kgk4569 wrote:
sigmazero13 wrote:
kgk4569 wrote:

Well, to each his own, I guess.
Seriously, try it, NPCs are less "cannon fodder" and more "valuable addition to the game". I feel that it gives you more incentive to upgrade shields, since you aren't counting on multiple die to soak the damage. It also makes Nebulae and Asteroid fields more hazardous.

More like taking a video game off of the "Easy" setting where you can ignore most dangers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While easier than other players, as I've said before I've never felt that NPC's are an easier FP path than anything else in the game, so making that one aspect harder would just mean everyone would be focusing elsewhere.

I've seen the results of 1 vs 1 die - when the Enforcer attacks the Scoundrel or the Scoundrel attacks the Merchant. I am really not all that enthusiastic about the results. As a player, if I had to follow the same path, I'd just never buy weapons and focus on all the other methods of gaining VPs.

Otherwise, the D6 blaster is worthless. The D8 blaster/missile is not much better. Only the D12 is worth much (and only if the defender doesn't have D12 shields), and the D20 missile may be the only weapon worth buying.

It doesn't work well as a dangerous strategy when the NPC's do it, and they aren't even trying for points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Clarke
Canada
Port Coquitlam
B.C.
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:

In my last game, a player with a Tier II ship playing to 10 FPs one-shotted the Enforcer two turns in a row for 4 FPs to win the game.

He hit it with a d12 missile, then a d8 blaster in each attack. Granted the NPC shield roll against the missile was middle of the road and the roll against the blaster was a ridiculous "1" BOTH times which is flukey but he still did it.

That said, I don't think attacking the Enforcer is necessarily unbalanced because those were long odds. I have to play it a lot more before making that decision.

I usually like to play games for awhile with the rules as written for fear of missing the subtleties in the design. Sometimes the "fix" is better game play not a rule change.

That said I don't allow trade routes to be played next to each other or a player to sell the same good at the same planet twice in a row. I use the last token for marking the planet where a sell has occurred and the player can't sell there again until he moves the marker by putting on another planet where he's selling somewhere else.

This still allows traders to ply the board, they just need good engines and encourages players to diversify and explore the other eight ways of getting Victory Points which I think is what Xia is all about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Dyer
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
P&P RPG>Tabletop>Sports>VideoGames
badge
I love all kinds of games and competitions.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure what you mean by One-shotted the enforcer? At least the way I define "one-shot". You cannot fire a missile and a blaster in the same attack.

"Players cannot use Missiles to attack adjacent ships; the targeted ship must be at least 2 spaces away."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think he more means "in one turn" rather than in one actual attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Clarke
Canada
Port Coquitlam
B.C.
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's exactly what I meant and what I described. Yes I know it's two attacks but that's a technicality. He shot it with a D12 missile, moved next to it and hit it with D8x2 blasters and killed it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.