Subject: Heavy Game where you feel like you accomplished something. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I am in the look for a good heavy euro with an arc to it. So many of the new shinies(Kanban or Five Tribes for example) have more of a Black Friday Sale feel to them. You rush in and try to flail better than other folks in the brief time you have, counting up your basket (points) at the end to see who wins.

Conversely something like Le Havre, Roads&Boats, or Through the Ages makes you feel like you did something at the end. Win or lose,you are fiddling with sticks at the beginning and assembling great works by the end. Anything new have that bite? Medira maybe? I'd even be curious for not-new but findable things I don't own/haven't played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Lanza
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Indonesia tells a story.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mlanza wrote:
Indonesia tells a story.

Aye I've long had my eye on it, but at 200+ it is a pipe dream for the forseeable future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Weber
Germany
Wendeburg
Germany
flag msg tools
Yo quiero estar contigo, vivir contigo, bailar contigo
badge
Yo quiero estar contigo, vivir contigo, bailar contigo
mbmbmbmbmb
Any Civ-Building game may be up your alley. As you do not have Nations listed as owned, I'd recommend it. It plays comperably fast, can be very punishing and you certainly have the feel of achievement at the game end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olivia Dunlap
United States
Little Rock
Arkansas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Because of the franchise it's probably not as heavy as what you are looking for, but have you looked at Risk Legacy?

The gameplay is fairly simple, but the game PERMANENTLY changes based on the outcomes of each of the 15 first games. It's really cool; players get to name continents and cities, sign the board for their victories, and certain mechanics and events of the game are not even available until certain things are accomplished over a long period of time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hmmm, Euro about starting off with few and building an engine.....

Keyflower
Homesteaders
At the Gates of Loyang
Brass: Lancashire

G'luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Caminha
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
badge
And so it begins...
mb
High Frontier, definitely. From colonizing to building an aerostat, you can truly feel you have accomplished something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wykthor wrote:
High Frontier, definitely. From colonizing to building an aerostat, you can truly feel you have accomplished something.

Yeah, I think the answer is probably somewhere between Phil & Eklund.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Y'all,are trying to bankrupt me I appreciate the input though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chip Crawford
United States
Aubrey
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
History of the World
Clash of Cultures
Napoleon in Europe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nevin Longardner
United States
Westerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Test
Another vote for Nations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Thomas
United States
North Kansas City
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Die Macher if you have a group of 5. A near-perfect 4-hour game, largely because of the flow.

Twilight Struggle if you have 2 - definitely a story-arc to this one :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dominant Species
Power Grid
Viticulture
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Lang
Germany
Gaißach
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fields of Arle

Two player game about farming. At the end you have your own farm. Sounds strange but is an excellent game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman Hedden
United States
Greenville
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
+1 High Frontier

Hear plenty about this one in regard to what you are inquiring. Good luck with the rules, though. Check out Rahdo's video play through.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bender
United States
New River
Arizona
flag msg tools
Rebellion to Tyrants is Obedience to God
mbmbmbmbmb
Since you mentioned Le Havre you might like Caverna: The Cave Farmers, as it has a nice arc to it. Russian Railroads does an excellent job of making you feel like you accomplished something, but is relatively easy to learn and plays in a reasonable amount of time (2-3 hours).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Burleigh II
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Bless the Maker and His water... Bless the coming and going of Him... May His passage cleanse the world...
mbmbmbmbmb
If you wanted to try Eklund, but don't want (can't afford) to start with High Frontier, you could try Greenland - It probably doesn't have the level of "upgrading" throughout you're looking for, but the mechanics are solid and it's pretty brutal to survive through the game.

An option that is both Eklund and closer to what you're looking for (and just a few copies left), try Bios: Megafauna. You'll start off as a proto-dinosaur, or proto-mammal, and you'll need to outcompete other player's organisms to feed and reproduce into the next turn.
You start off as a raw, hardly formed ancestor, and could end up as a bow & arrow wielding, vegetarian velociraptor colony…. Or, flying carnivorous dolphins… and other, stranger bizarre oddities…

BMF is a reissue of American Megafauna, and it brought a lot of updates to the gameplay. Eklund games are infamous for being science simulations mores than "games" per say, but BMF plays much more like a heavy Euro.

There's about 10 left before it's OOP, and secondary market only!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Boyd
United States
Evansville
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadrach wrote:
So I am in the look for a good heavy euro with an arc to it. So many of the new shinies(Kanban or Five Tribes for example) have more of a Black Friday Sale feel to them. You rush in and try to flail better than other folks in the brief time you have, counting up your basket (points) at the end to see who wins.

Conversely something like Le Havre, Roads&Boats, or Through the Ages makes you feel like you did something at the end. Win or lose,you are fiddling with sticks at the beginning and assembling great works by the end. Anything new have that bite? Medira maybe? I'd even be curious for not-new but findable things I don't own/haven't played.

Terra Mystica is my favorite game and you definitely feel like you accommplished something by the end. The systems interplay in Terra Mystica is tight and well thought out and the box contains about half a tree.

Shut Up & Sit Down does a really good review of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Gustafson
United States
Warsaw
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
“The elements of good trading are: (1) cutting losses, (2) cutting losses, and (3) cutting losses. If you can follow these three rules, you may have a chance.” – Ed Seykota
mbmbmbmbmb
18xx
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Steward
United States
Meridian
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
Fretboard Gamer
badge
p/g
mbmbmbmbmb
Big Euros with a sense of accomplishment at the end:

Florenza
Antiquity
Vinhos
Constantinopolis

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to all the suggestions. I went with one that's not very long, but that I did want: Madeira. I had many of the other ones that were suggested already

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachel Schnoor
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Dominant Species (Love this game! Really feels like eons are passing as your creatures develop and the land changes over time)
+1 for Brass (solid and enjoyable game, sounds like something you'd like based on criteria)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.