Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Blackwell
United States
Queens
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi! I do not have Rise of the Runelords, but was thinking of getting it. I have the Skull & Shackles Character Add-On Deck and would like to use those characters in ROTR but don't know if they will work equally well; particularly if I trade the S&S base game away and have none of its cards available.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

EDIT: Clarification -- I want to use the S&S Character Add-On with the ROTR base set only. No other PACG materials will be available. Is this a fully functional possibility?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chip Crawford
United States
Aubrey
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably, but the equipment and stuff would be a little off theme.

I say go for it and let us know what you think about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Noetzel
United States
Duluth
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I would think some characters would not work well. For example, the gunslinger wants firearms and those aren't part of the RotR deck.

So, I think it's a case of 'some yes and some no'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Blackwell
United States
Queens
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rickn99 wrote:
I would think some characters would not work well. For example, the gunslinger wants firearms and those aren't part of the RotR deck.

The Gunslinger is part of the base set; I'm thinking of trading the base set away entirely. The character add-on characters come with some cards that work with them, but I never played ROTR so I don't know if it has other cards that would be a match.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Blackwell
United States
Queens
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ChipChuck wrote:
Probably, but the equipment and stuff would be a little off theme.

I say go for it and let us know what you think about it.

It may come to that, and if it does I will report back!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Noetzel
United States
Duluth
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
bbblackwell wrote:
rickn99 wrote:

The Gunslinger is part of the base set; I'm thinking of trading the base set away entirely. The character add-on characters come with some cards that work with them, but I never played ROTR so I don't know if it has other cards that would be a match.

Yeah, he's a base set character but he's the one I knew was an example of a new concept. Any other characters that rely on firearms or swashbuckling would be difficult.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bbblackwell wrote:
I want to use the S&S Character Add-On with the ROTR base set only. No other PACG materials will be available. Is this a fully functional possibility?

Damiel will still work pretty well, although the overall selection of potions in Runelords isn't as impressive as in Shackles, with over half of them just giving auto-successes to sporadic types of checks. Runelords also doesn't have any "grenade" potions, so you won't get any beyond the add-on's Alchemist's Fire and Noxious Bombs.

Feiya will work fine, although Hexer is a way more attractive role for Runelords than Sea Witch is, unless you specifically want the Sea Witch power upgrade that lets you recharge (rather than discard) an Animal to grab a spell from your discard pile.

Shackles Lini is a little better off in her native set, where Aquatic banes come up more often, but you could still use her in Runelords.

Oloch doesn't really have anything Shackles-centric in either of his roles, so he'll cross sets quite smoothly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Blackwell
United States
Queens
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDragonScholar wrote:
bbblackwell wrote:
I want to use the S&S Character Add-On with the ROTR base set only. No other PACG materials will be available. Is this a fully functional possibility?

Damiel will still work pretty well, although the overall selection of potions in Runelords isn't as impressive as in Shackles, with over half of them just giving auto-successes to sporadic types of checks. Runelords also doesn't have any "grenade" potions, so you won't get any beyond the add-on's Alchemist's Fire and Noxious Bombs.

Feiya will work fine, although Hexer is a way more attractive role for Runelords than Sea Witch is, unless you specifically want the Sea Witch power upgrade that lets you recharge (rather than discard) an Animal to grab a spell from your discard pile.

Shackles Lini is a little better off in her native set, where Aquatic banes come up more often, but you could still use her in Runelords.

Oloch doesn't really have anything Shackles-centric in either of his roles, so he'll cross sets quite smoothly.

Excellent! This covers it all, Thank you so much, Kurt!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.