Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
B. B.
Germany
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The objective's size modifies your attack roll against the objective. That makes sense when firing at the target, for example when attacking a large building with a M72 LAW. So, for example I get +2 to the attack roll, when attacking the Jungle-Objective's VIP Sit-Down structure, because of the +2 Size.

Using an M2 SLAM against the VIP Sit-Down structure at range 0 I get 2 dice for attacking and 1 defeat cover die. I need an 8 for one kill and I am able to achieve two kills, because it's explosion mode. I get +5 to the attack and defeat cover rolls, because the target is a structure (see M2 SLAM). That means: Attack +7 (+5 M2 SLAM and +2 Size) and defeat cover +5 (+5 M2 SLAM). So, in the end it is 2 auto-kills, because even if I roll 1,1 on the attack dice I end up with 8,8 and even if I roll 1 on the defeat cover die I end up with a 6. With two actions and two M2 SLAMs I could auto-kill the 4 needed kills to destroy the hole building and to achieve the Objective and to win the mission.

So, the question is: Do I really get the size mod when attacking with an explosive like the M2 SLAM? When firing with a ranged weapon the size mod makes sense, but I don't think that it makes sense to get it when placing a mine. Should this be an errata, i. e. Size - Modifies your ranged attack rolls against the objective?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lutz Pietschker
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Funny. I understood that Size +2 means that you have to add that to the Kill number, making big structures harder to kill, but on re-reading the keyword glassary I clearly was wrong; must have been an echo of my role-playing sessions where big targets were a bad thing . Life just got a lot easier; boring, in fact, because of automatic kills.
Un-thematic, too, since just "hitting" any part of a building or vehicle does not necessarily do critical damage. In a structure, "big" means either using large quantities of explosives (as in those "so many kg per cubic metre" formulas) or finding and destroying the crucial load-bearing points, which takes some expertise and a certain amount of time. On second thoughts, maybe that knowledge from my blasting days was the real reason for my mis-interpretation.

To the question: As long as the designer does not say "I was wrong there" I see no reason to re-interpret his clearly (if tersely) stated intentions, even if I am with you to doubt his wisdom in this point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vladimir Lehotai
Slovakia
Piešťany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PunTheHun wrote:

To the question: As long as the designer does not say "I was wrong there" I see no reason to re-interpret his clearly (if tersely) stated intentions, even if I am with you to doubt his wisdom in this point.

Pretty much this. It is not unusual for a game to sometomes (or often in some cases) ignore the common sense in favor of the gameplay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vladimir17 wrote:
PunTheHun wrote:

Pretty much this. It is not unusual for a game to sometomes (or often in some cases) ignore the common sense in favor of the gameplay.

I totally agree Vladimir. Sometimes, certain realistic flavor may be omitted for gameplay reasons. There can certainly be a lot of outliers that would add more rules and sub-rules for this game.

There was a thread about an ACOG/Red Dot sight on the M203 Grenade Launcher. Thematically it doesn't make sense to be used like that, but otherwise there would need to be an exception. Though maybe having for use with non-explosive ranged attacks only on the equipment cards could have worked out, but that will add to the text and reduce the text size that may not appeal to some.

For the Convoy objective, there are moving cars/vehicles. You do get a 2 turn limit to show that they are on the move, but there isn't a penalty for shooting at a moving vehicle. I mean, tossing a grenade into a window of a moving vehicle should be tricky.

Drinking from your canteen gets you 3 extra cards. I mean right in the middle of a firefight, you're going to stop to drink down your canteen?

I think part of the appeal to the game, aside from it's general awesomeness is that it's pretty streamlined and straightforward, without a boatload of extra rules and charts etc. This makes the game more accessible to gamers and easier to teach others.

That said, this is also a game where we can houserule things to make it more realistic for our liking. It's not a competitive game, so any tweaks are only going to affect the solo player or the group of co-op players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lutz Pietschker
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hahma wrote:
I mean, tossing a grenade into a window of a moving vehicle should be tricky.

Been there, done that a 100 times… in Ambush!

Honestly, so far (3 games into the jungle campaign) the time track was my strongest opponent, but I reserve my judgement until later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Lederer
United States
Farmington Hills
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the vehicle convoy might be stopped (perhaps you brought down a tree across the road) and now you are using grenades against the trucks...but you have a limited amount of time before they can clear the road and get underway again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.