Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Where'm I sposed to put these things?

Let me back up. Got my copy of Mission: Red Planet yesterday. Haven't played it yet, but I punched out the bits. Here's the box:

Looking at the box on the right, You can see the insert where the wooden bits (astronauts) go, as well as the two decks of cards. On top of that go the two boards, folded up. Originally, on top of that, were the cardboard sheets holding all the rockets and tokens to be punched out. They all fit fine when penned up in their little cardboard cells, but now that they've been freed...

What am I supposed to do with this big pile of cardboard?

This?

Seriously, I already know the box insert is gonna have to go. And I'm not really broken up about that, that's fine. But really, you went through the trouble of making sure the insert was custom measured so it would perfectly hold the two different-sized decks of carks and the two different-sized boards. Did no one bring up the big honkin' pile of cardboard that also was supposed to go in it? Did you pay the insert designer a whole lot considering I have to toss out his contribution?

(I'm just funnin' you, Asmodee. I can't wait to play the game, even if my storage problem makes the Insert Buddha weep.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nairb Attobas
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah...

Insert's not so good.

I ziplocked all the small cardboard scoring bits together, and kept them in the little hole where the astronaut men go. Boards go on top of that, and then we spread all the little spaceships across the top of the boards. Not the bestest solution, since the little ships can move around a bunch, but better than nothing, I s'pose. They seem pretty sturdy since they're nice, thick cardboard, so not really a big deal.

But the real question is: how long did it take you to open the glossy box...

Fortunately, the game is all kinds of fun. My friends and I have been enjoying it. Hoping to take it for a spin again soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(Mr.) Kim Beattie
United States
Rocklin
CA
flag msg tools
Embrace your inner geek!
badge
In Flanders fields the poppies blow Between the crosses, row on row, That mark our place; and in the sky The larks, still bravely singing, fly Scarce heard amid the guns below.
mbmbmbmbmb
As soon as I started punching out the Spaceships I realized that the all of the pieces would not fit into the insert. How strange that a game can be published with little or no thought given to how the game will be stored after it is opened and played. Or maybe the folks who designed the package always throw out the inserts anyway and just assumed everyone else does as well. Strange. Compare this to such well designed inserts as come with Elasund: The First City and Rum & Pirates.

I threw out the insert. Bagged up the counters and found a box to put the Spaceship counters into. Ironically, the box I am using to hold the Spaceships counters is the Dark City Citadels expansion box...

But the insert is really a minor issue. What's important is the game itself and I like the game a lot! The theme, as pasted on as it is, still makes the game for me. I'm glad to have a copy of my own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
June King
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
Bring me her heart in this box.
mbmbmbmbmb
Uberplay's Wildlife has the same problem, only worse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stan Mamula
United States
Oakmont
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I stared and stared and still couldn't deduce where to store all of the rocketships. It is amazing that the insert is custom for all of the other components.

Did anyone else have any trouble with their rocketships peeling apart? or is my copy a fluke?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stas wrote:
Did anyone else have any trouble with their rocketships peeling apart? or is my copy a fluke?

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/128758

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Couldn't you store the cardboard bits *under* the insert? Not exactly conventient, I know, but it would allow the insert to help in what little capacity it can, and therefore feel fulfilled in reaching it's Buddha nature.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
Montara
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
ben_ethus wrote:
But the real question is: how long did it take you to open the glossy box...

Man, you said it. That box is a real pain to open.
At least it won't fart when you close it -- it can't possibly move fast enough to make a box fart.
--mike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Marchlewitz
Canada
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ludocrazy wrote:
Uberplay's Wildlife has the same problem, only worse.

I disagree. It's not the best, but I have no trouble getting things into the box...with some help from a few ziplocks and the insert.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie B
United States
Unspecified
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Put all the astronauts and tokens in the insert (it will fit). Put the cards in their space, put the two boards in their place, put the rules on top of that and then make 11 stacks of 3 spaceships and put them on the rules. The remaining spaceship can go anywhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Landes
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
burrie wrote:
Put all the astronauts and tokens in the insert (it will fit). Put the cards in their space, put the two boards in their place, put the rules on top of that and then make 11 stacks of 3 spaceships and put them on the rules. The remaining spaceship can go anywhere.

I didn't realize this was a dexterity game. I'll have to take another look.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie B
United States
Unspecified
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Consider it two games for the price of one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.