Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robin Reeve
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
Looking for a game session in Switzerland? Send me a pm!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,
I don't grasp the Recovery rules :

The first part is easy:
Quote:
Recovery: At the end of your Combat Phase, remove all Routed
markers in play whose borders match your side’s color (blue-bordered
if you are the French Player or white-bordered if you
are not), and are not in an EZOC.

Here is how I understand it :
I have a French unit marked by an Allied Rout Marker (it was routed during the French Combat Phase).
Comes the Allied Combat Phase : if not in an Allied ZOC, the French removes the Rout marker, but if in an Allied ZOC it keeps it.

It is the second part which I don't grasp well:
Quote:
At the end of your opponent’s Combat Phase, those Routed
markers
are removed from each of these units, but only if it is
not in an EZOC. Otherwise, they remain on those Routed units,
with full effect, and are checked again for removal at the end of
your opponent’s next Combat Phase!

What are "those Routed markers" ?
Are they the "markers in play whose borders match your side’s color", as described in the first paragraph?
Which would mean that one removes markers matching one's own colour in addition those matching the opponent's colour...
e.g. French units marked by French coloured counters can be removed at the end of the Allied Combat phase as well as units with Allied markers - which seems to directly contradict the first paragraph.

I am looking forward to seeing the answers to my (possibly naive) question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Robin wrote:
Here is how I understand it: I have a French unit marked by an Allied Rout Marker (it was routed during the French Combat Phase).
Comes the Allied Combat Phase : if not in an Allied ZOC, the French removes the Rout marker, but if in an Allied ZOC it keeps it.

Not quite. To (hopefully) clarify the situation let's use an example:

It is the French player turn. The French player is conducting two attacks. The first one is by his 1e Corps against the Allied I Corps, and the second one is by his 2e Corps against the Allied II Corps. In the first attack the French get a DR result against the Allied I Corps; after retreating the Allied I Corps it is marked with a white Rout marker. In the second attack the French get an AR result; after retreating the French 1e Corps it is marked with a white Rout marker.

Play then proceeds to the Allied player turn. The Allied player conducts one attack: his III Corps against the French 3e Corps, resulting in the French 3e Corps getting a DR (after retreating, the French 3e Corps receives a blue Rout marker). At the end of the Allied player's Combat phase there are three units with Rout markers: Allied I Corps and French 2e Corps both have white Rout markers, and French 3e Corps has a blue Rout marker. Assuming all three of these units are not in enemy ZOCs after the Allied Combat phase, you would remove both the white Rout markers (from the Allied I Corps and the French 2e Corps); the blue Rout marker would remain in play on the French 3e Corps.

The essential concept is that Rout markers are removed at the end of the correspondingly colored Combat phase regardless of the nationality of the unit which the Rout marker is on.

Now, let's extend the example to assume that the Allied I Corps unit was in an enemy ZOC at the end of the Allied player's Combat phase. In this case, the white Rout marker would remain on the Allied I Corps. Then, at the end of the next French player turn, that white Rout marker would not be removed -- even if the Allied I Corps was no longer in an enemy ZOC -- because only blue Rout markers are removed at the end of a French player turn.

Quote:
What are "those Routed markers"? Are they the "markers in play whose borders match your side’s color", as described in the first paragraph? Which would mean that one removes markers matching one's own colour in addition those matching the opponent's colour... e.g. French units marked by French coloured counters can be removed at the end of the Allied Combat phase as well as units with Allied markers - which seems to directly contradict the first paragraph.

"Those" refers to Rout Markers of the appropriate/corresponding color associated with the just completed Combat phase: blue Rout markers at the end of the French player's Combat phase, white Rout markers at the end of the Allied player's Combat phase. Again, the nationality of the unit in question is not important, only the color of the Rout marker.

Hope that clears things up.

Lance McMillan
Developer for VPG's "Napoleonic 20" series
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Reeve
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the explanations!
All in all, Rout markers matching the phasing side are removed at the end of the Combat phase, whatever the side of the unit affected - excepted if that unit is in an EZOC.
I don't know why, but my brain had problems with the wording of the rule...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Reeve
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lance,
FYI I revised my recently posted QRC file for Salamanca - there was a typo and I had forgotten to note the Allied Objective Hex.

As I did not manage to follow the instructions given by BGG correctly, I deleted the previous file and then uploaded a new one (which is waiting for approbation).

Its name will be : "Salamanca 20 - QRC v. 1.1.pdf"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.