The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Can I imitate LOTR's story? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Murat tatala
Albania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I haven't played the game yet, but can I recreate the original book's story using its cards?

*edit: And will it be a play-viable deck?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Roskam
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That is what the saga expansions specifically do. Hobbit is complete already in two box sets, and the first 2 of 6 have been published for Lord of the rings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb Kester
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd refer to the game page to see more info on the Saga expansions that Muratone talked about. One of the great thing about the games is each saga expansion / adventure cycle all have their own theme and supporting cards to go with that theme. While this isn't to say that you're not missing some nice cards from the other expansions, you should be able to create a decent deck just off of one expansion.

I normally introduce cards one set at a time, but if you want to just play the book story to start with, I might introducing all of the cards for the expansions since you don't have any of the adventure packs.

Good luck! I hope you enjoy it! Remember the core set is required for all expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tenshu tenshu
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, you really think that playing the saga expansion with only the core set cards is a viable option?

I was about to get the first Mirkwood cycle but I think my co-player would prefer to re-enact the Hobbit/LotR story line.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tenshu wrote:
Hi, you really think that playing the saga expansion with only the core set cards is a viable option?

I was about to get the first Mirkwood cycle but I think my co-player would prefer to re-enact the Hobbit/LotR story line.

Yes. It won't be "optimal" but that's like describing playing Settlers of Catan without Seafarers or Traders and Barbarians as "less than optimal." Still a fun game.

Bottom line is you can play it and have fun with a single core and a Saga Expansion. Eventually you're going to want the second half of that saga to finish the story.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brown
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tenshu wrote:

the saga expansions even have premade deck suggestions using only cards from the core and that expansion

they vary in terms of usefulness, but the saga expansions are certainly doable with box + core

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Walton
United States
Ada
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is also an official easy mode variant of the game that makes playing with a smaller card pool much more viable. You simply remove all the cards with a gold ring around the encounter set symbol from the encounter deck, and start with an extra resource on each hero. It's a great way to learn the game, and still provides a rich experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.