Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a copy of AA: Europe and Nexus Ops, one of which I am going to give to my 14 year old nephew. He has been into classic Risk lately, and tried to get his parents to play but they shied away from the extended playing time. Now, the obvious solution would be to send him Nexus Ops, but I want someone to tell me it's ok to send him AA:Europe instead, because I got it for 10 bucks and it's still better than Risk. I believe he can still round up friends to play this.

Then, I get to play Nexus Ops with my sons, who will probably appreciate it more anyway since I'm not sure he'll play *anything* I send him. He even looked derisively at Heroscape when I brought it out last Christmas, until I gave him the evil eye.

I may be rationalizing and kidding myself, and maybe I should just sell the AA:E here on the geek, pony up 10 more bucks and get a second copy of Nexus Ops.

Regardless, even writing this out has been useful.

Ethics answer man, where are you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Nexus.

The play time of AA is still scary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep Nexus Ops

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M G
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
craniac wrote:
Now, the obvious solution would be to send him Nexus Ops, but I want someone to tell me it's ok to send him AA:Europe instead, because I got it for 10 bucks and it's still better than Risk. I believe he can still round up friends to play this.

Then, I get to play Nexus Ops with my sons, who will probably appreciate it more anyway since I'm not sure he'll play *anything* I send him.

I bought a copy of Nexus Ops for a nephew, and did so because I thought that he might enjoy it more. Personally I think Nexus seems more "kid-friendly" than AA: Europe, and has sort of a videogame-type of appeal.

Of course, I have no idea if any of the gifts that I give will actually be used, game or otherwise, but that isn't really the purpose of giving gifts anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Keuler
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
redgamer wrote:
Of course, I have no idea if any of the gifts that I give will actually be used, game or otherwise, but that isn't really the purpose of giving gifts anyway.

Not to thread jack here, but I gotta' disagree. I won't give a person a gift that I don't believe that there isn't some chance they'll use or appreciate. I definitely think that's part of the purpose of a gift - i.e. here's something that I think you'll appreciate it and I want you to have it. Am I alone here?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Bell
United States
New Milford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say that it depends on how interested he is in World War II vs. Sci-fi. He's 14; he's got all the time in the world and so do his friends. If his parents are his only opponents, then I'd go with Nexus Ops, but if he's got other people to play with and he's into WW2 stuff, go with A&A.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Nexus, but A&A:Europe is $9.98 with free shipping from toysrus.com, so why not get both?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Herbst
United States
Sayville
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yesterday Toys R' Us cancelled my order of A&A Europe for $10 with free shipping so I think the choice has been made for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Martin
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nexus Ops, man. It's the better game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M G
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rickkeuler wrote:
Not to thread jack here, but I gotta' disagree. I won't give a person a gift that I don't believe that there is a good chance they'll use or appreciate it. I definitely think that's part of the purpose of a gift - i.e. here's something that I think you'll appreciate it and I want you to have it. Am I alone here?

I get where you're coming from. To clarify, I don't just grab anything and pass it out as a gift; I do buy with the individual's interests in mind. However, ultimately, I have no control if they will use it or not.

If I think that someone will enjoy one game more than another game, I won't hold back the first game simply because I 'think' that they may not like it (who is to say they will like either?). In that case, it would be better to just get something else entirely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe I will check with his mom and see if he is still in Risk mode or has moved on to some other hobby and then take it from there. If I got the sense he was able to play with his friends on a regular basis I might just send out AA, as it does have cool bits and he has room to set it up. Otherwise I will send Nexus Ops and sell AA for $15+shipping and get a second copy of Nexus Ops. Case closed!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Green
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dude, he's 14. Two years from a driver's license and hormones probably raging up to 98% capacity. I'm guessing boardgames are the last things he and his friends are going to be doing in their spare time.

I'd get him something short, cool and violent, like Cash N Guns or Mall of Horror. Or Busen Memo, and become his favorite uncle. HAH! Just kidding.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Young
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Old Ways Are Best!
badge
Check Six!
mbmbmbmbmb
Nexus in a heartbeat. Replayable slugfest that is simple, fast-moving and fun. The hidden mission cards drive the play in an effective, straightforward fashion which discourages "turtling," and also ensures that alliances, if any, will be short-lived. Could be viewed as a gateway to a number of genres of strategy/wargames. A better option than any of the A&A derivatives, if you still have doubts about Nexus, would be LotR Risk or Risk: 2210.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
North Central Louisiana / No Longer A Resident of the Shreveport/Bossier City Area
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
craniac wrote:
I have a copy of AA: Europe and Nexus Ops, one of which I am going to give to my 14 year old nephew. He has been into classic Risk lately, and tried to get his parents to play but they shied away from the extended playing time. Now, the obvious solution would be to send him Nexus Ops, but I want someone to tell me it's ok to send him AA:Europe instead, because I got it for 10 bucks and it's still better than Risk. I believe he can still round up friends to play this.

Then, I get to play Nexus Ops with my sons, who will probably appreciate it more anyway since I'm not sure he'll play *anything* I send him. He even looked derisively at Heroscape when I brought it out last Christmas, until I gave him the evil eye.

I may be rationalizing and kidding myself, and maybe I should just sell the AA:E here on the geek, pony up 10 more bucks and get a second copy of Nexus Ops.

Regardless, even writing this out has been useful.

Ethics answer man, where are you?

---> The Ethics Answer Man is: IN .

Unless you know for certain that your nephew is already a confirmed and bonafide World War II buff, then you should consider sending him "Nexus Ops" instead.

After all, I cannot think of a more careless and uncaring thing you could do than to send "Axis & Allies" (Classic or Revised Version) to somebody who isn't knowledgeable about World War II and/or simply isn't interested in World War II and any such themed games.

Therefore, I recommend you send your nephew "Nexus Ops."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I opened Nexus and played with my six year old twice, and it is a fun light risk variant. I will have to sell AA now and get Nexus for the nephew!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.