Stephenson's Rocket» Forums » Rules

Subject: Scoring metropoles in a tie & how to round? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pieter Bruring
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just started to learn how to play this classic game. I bought it directly from the 999 games warehouse in the Netherlands in their yearly outlet sale for 10 Euro's (together with a bunch of other games, with those prices which geek could blame me!).

Anyway, I have some newbee questions ...

1) In case of scoring the metropoles (that's the dutch naming) when players have the same amount of goods, what happens?
a) nobody has majority, nodbody scores, or
b) no majority, everybody gets the 2nd best reward: 1000 pounds?

The answer to this question wil also apply to scoring station cities when players have the same amount of stations on a line. But the 2nd best scoring of stations and fusions leads me to the following question:

2) In case of scoring the station cities or fusions how to round the money? Since there are no 500 bills in the game, should say 1500 pounds be rounded to 1000 or to 2000?

Anybody?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Kinney
United States
Bellefontaine
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, ties for most mean they split the payout. And amounts are always rounded down to the next lowest 1000. (2500 -> 2000, 500 -> 0)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter Bruring
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gecko23 wrote:
Yes, ties for most mean they split the payout. And amounts are always rounded down to the next lowest 1000. (2500 -> 2000, 500 -> 0)

By spitting the payout, do you mean: add the 1st place payout with the 2nd place payout and divide it by the number of player who tie?

For example in a two player game, both players have 1 good when scoring a metropole: (2000+1000)/2 = 1500. Rounding will make that 1000 each. I noticed that this is the method of scoring for determining the score in the end.

This example is pretty straightforward, but I just played a 2 player game where a merger happened while the two players had the same amount of shares with 23 scorable cities. Pen and paper is definitely needed to determine the score.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bigney
United States
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, that's the way you do it. So in your 23 cities example, the payout would be (23+23/2)/2, although all fractions would be rounded down at the time of division. So it would be
11 (which is 11.5 rounded down)
__
/2
__
17 for each player.

Wow, I made it look for more complicated than it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Eric Martin
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
Bruur wrote:
This example is pretty straightforward, but I just played a 2 player game where a merger happened while the two players had the same amount of shares with 23 scorable cities. Pen and paper is definitely needed to determine the score.

In a two-player game, why not skip scoring this line since both players receive the same amount of money? No sense fiddling with that paper money when no one gains an edge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.