Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul McKenzie
United States
Ashburn
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently ordered some games from SimplyFun(SF) mostly because they carried a game I couldn't find anywhere else (Meltdown 2020) and found a couple of good games I can use to help my daughter work on some of her basic math skills while still getting some game in (Quartile which I'm going to be reviewing shortly & Summy which I'll be playing today and hopefully reviewing shortly thereafter).

Several reasons for my thumbs-up:

1. Ordered shortly (less than a week!) before Christmas, all three of my games arrived well-packed and before Christmas, despite my not paying for any special shipping options.

2. I ordered the playsaver membership because my order discount (15%) more or less paid for it on an $120 order, and the playsaver package (with a few very small free things that were nonetheless very cool) arrived before Christmas also, and had way more packing than necessary (could have shipped it cheaper just as easily with a smaller box & peanuts or bubble wrap or paper wads) but still cool.

3. When I had trouble applying a $10 bonus for joining SF, I corresponded with tech support a few times and couldn't get it resolved. Two days before Christmas in the afternoon before going home the tech support person who'd been corresponding with me called me to talk me through it and apologize for what she admitted is a non-intuitive web page procedure.

I originally only intended to make the three initial purchases because the membership was more or less covered by the discount, but they sent me a catalog of stuff that definitely interested me.

Fair warning and full disclosure: The site is not named at hard-core game geeks, but note that there are some many "gamers' games" on their site that seem to be repackaged euro games "with no credit given to the originals so if you didn't KNOW the game already existed you might think SimplyFun invented it."

Some of them have some serious crunch to satisfy even some deeper gamers. They also have a bunch of educational games and games in general aimed at a younger audiences that might interest other geeks like myself to work with my kids in a way that doesn't seem so much like work. They also have a lot of resources aimed at educators (including many special-needs resources), but I'm not competent enough in the field to comment more intelligently than that.

Their web site also needs a little work.

Their customer service is great, and the game quality (which I'll cover in more detail in my individual reviews of the games) are outstanding. Thumbs up and recommended, with the caveats listed above.

Hope this doesn't sound too "shill=ly," I really am just a satisfied customer, and I hadn't seen anything about them on-site.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had assumed that shipping would take longer or I might have also given them a try this Christmas. Oh well, there's still after-Christmas money.

Anyone interested might like to carefully go through their catalog. They have Euros that have been totally repackaged with no credit given to the originals so if you didn't KNOW the game already existed you might think SimplyFun invented it. Two such titles that have caught my eye :

Eat & Tweat (p.24) Tweeeet

[in the Upper Elementary section! I've played Tweeet with a full complement of adults and it's a pretty mean game...]

Pelican Cove (p.32) Pelican Cove

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul McKenzie
United States
Ashburn
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And yet again I find myself totally corrected...

Both Tweeeet and Pelican Cove are now speeding their way towards me...their reviews and game descriptions both look fantastic and well-suited to my taste.

I'm going to assume it's okay and edit my original post with your observation so as to more clearly inform readers.

My wallet hates you.

I'll also add Aether (called "Matter" in Simplyfun) to your list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Nowak
United States
Greenville
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
You have paid retail for the last time.
badge
The human race, to which so many of my readers belong, has been playing at children's games from the beginning, and will probably do it till the end, which is a nuisance for the few people who grow up. - GKC
mbmbmbmbmb
SimplyFun Board Games From Designers Geeks Know

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you ever use www.boardgameprices.com (or www.boardgamesearch.com) when looking for games?

It seems like Gamessurplus and Timewellspent have had Meltdown for quite a awhile.

http://www.boardgameprices.com/prices/meltdown2020

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul McKenzie
United States
Ashburn
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Guantanamo wrote:
Do you ever use www.boardgameprices.com (or www.boardgamesearch.com) when looking for games?

It seems like Gamessurplus and Timewellspent have had Meltdown for quite a awhile.

I do now. Thanks for the links.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul McKenzie
United States
Ashburn
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
overtheboard wrote:

Thanks for the list, also read your comments about SF's model with great interest. I had already come to the same conclusion although I think they call my level "playologist" as the discount (15%) is the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.