Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Weber
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaivai, a really good game that hasn't got much attention on this board, is one you might want to look into. It plays 2-4 players, and has an edgy feel to it because you have the option of sinking another player's boat(s) albeit at a cost in victory points.

Oops, my mistake, the game entry says 3-4, I've only played it 3-4, but not sure why it wouldn't work with 2 as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
John Weber wrote:
Kaivai, a really good game that hasn't got much attention on this board, is one you might want to look into. It plays 2-4 players, and has an edgy feel to it because you have the option of sinking another player's boat(s) albeit at a cost in victory points.

Oops, my mistake, the game entry says 3-4, I've only played it 3-4, but not sure why it wouldn't work with 2 as well.

Best I can tell, a truly excellent game. And thanks, John, because I hadn't heard of it until recently when you were touting it elsewhere.

I note that I have never seen someone judge it worth the VP cost to sink someone else's boat, which surprises me because some of my friends would ordinarily sink another players boat even if it didn't really benefit themselves at all. I really need to go find some new friends.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
It's an OK game. It can become a bit math heavy and run long in my book. It has a lot of tough decisions, and is pretty tight when it comes to resource allocations. There is quite a bit of "take that" by other players, but besides that not an overly exciting game. I would rather play La Citta or Reef Encounter

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bailey
United States
Broomfield
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
GO ROCKIES!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I played it at BGG.CON last year and we all quit halfway through. Personally, I didn't think it was all that great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lajos
Japan
Hachiouji
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
John Weber wrote:

I remember reading somewhere (probably www.boardgamenews.com) that you can get the 2-player rules for free at the Pfificus booth in Essen this year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben .
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It has THE most annoying box dimensions EVAR.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
MWChapel wrote:
It's an OK game. It can become a bit math heavy and run long in my book.

Yep, it isn't a short game. Delightful tradeoffs tho. I've been very pleased with my two playings, enough to give it a fairly stable 8 rating, possibly shading to an 8.5 depending on how future experiences with the dice and possible variants to reduce the variance of the dice values work out. (My concern isn't that the variance of the dice is large, but rather that the variance of the dice across players can be large)

Quote:
It has a lot of tough decisions, and is pretty tight when it comes to resource allocations.

I especially liked our last game in which few players fished (newbie effect), and the average rate of fish production ran roughly 20% under average. KaiVai really sings when the economic engine is stressed.

Quote:
There is quite a bit of "take that" by other players...

I've yet to see this. What I have seen is considerable manipulation of incentives through boat and tile placement, attracting players in certain directions or precluding them from others. Good stuff.

Quote:
...but besides that not an overly exciting game. I would rather play La Citta or Reef Encounter

I find KaiVai considerably preferable to La Citta, even with the various anti-clog variants for the card display in La Citta. Reef Encounter is probably the slightly better game, but I'm finding the tradeoffs, especially the VP/money tradeoffs, in KaiVai far more interesting than Reef Encounter's set manipulations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
ixnay66 wrote:
I played it at BGG.CON last year and we all quit halfway through. Personally, I didn't think it was all that great.

Were I to play troll, albeit an honest and overly candid troll, I'd say that KaiVai combines the good elements of Puerto Rico and Caylus, along with strong spatial and logistic elements, to make a good (not great) game that outshines either of the other two (I'm not fond of either Puerto Rico or Caylus).

Shrug.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michelle Zentis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played it once with the correct rules, but I really enjoyed it -- despite losing the game through colossal stupidity on my part in the last turn. I'm looking forward to the expansion, which sounds like it might even out some of the fishing luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.