Popular Tags: news [+] california [+] [View All]
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Saddleback, covered by a blanket of winter snow
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure I've chosen the right place to post this, but it does appear to be where Aldie and the moderators will see it, which is the idea.

BGG was prominently mentioned when OCBG, the largest of several local boardgaming groups in Orange County, California was featured in the Irvine World News section of the Orange County Register. BGG's top five was in the most prominant sidebar, and boargamegeek.com was mentioned more than once. For a limited time (I think) the article is online at:

http://epaper.ocregister.com/Default/Client.asp?enter=true&s...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antigonus Monophthalmus
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
We're famous now! YAY!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antigonus Monophthalmus
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Quote:
Another invites her to play Munchkin.

She says no, and describes the group...

Good for her.

edit:

Except wow, they really poo-pooed American games, despite havign C&C and other clearly American games prominently featured in the pictures.

Way to play to the common base and not make it seem like a sophisticated, hoity toity venture for snooty people. Oh wait... no... that's not what they did at all.

Thsi article bothers me

But any publicity is good publicity

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BagpipeDan wrote:
Except wow, they really poo-pooed American games, despite havign C&C and other clearly American games prominently featured in the pictures.

Yeah, I was a little bugged by that, too; but it was really just one comment from one of the members that the reporter noted. I would also mention ease of play before "strategic", but for a few hours training in Eurogames, she did very well.

I might say that the article was supposed to be about how the internet brings people together, but Heather sold Eurogames so well--well, you see what the article is about. Me, I just played Tempus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice article!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Harris
United States
Oshkosh
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Firstly it is nice to see ANY gaming article in the press. Bonus that BGG was mentioned. But I see two problems with the article. First of all the "clue" they scoff at IS a Euro-game....and secondly...LAY OFF THE CANDYLAND!! Nothing says drama and strategy like a double blue square card right in front of the peppermint forest. Rock on Lord Licorice... Rock on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Wankel engine
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool. I've been thinking of contacting my local paper to see if they'd be interested in writing a feature on German gaming. It would be great if we could generate some publicity for the hobby that way and get more people interested in gaming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A second article has been published by the Orange County [California] Register. (Orange County is part of the Los Angeles area, with a population of about three million. While the OC Register is the major paper in OC, the LA Times also has heavy penetration.) The new article is somewhat different from the previous article, concentrating on the hobby, not OCBG. So, BGG is mentioned, with web address, but not OCBG.

http://www.ocregister.com/ocregister/news/homepage/article_1...

The quote about American games being uninteresting is still in there, but I know what was meant was, "American games from major manufacturers are uninteresting."

As for contacting local papers, you now have at least two articles from a pretty major paper on the subject to show them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Doum
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BagpipeDan wrote:

Way to play to the common base and not make it seem like a sophisticated, hoity toity venture for snooty people. Oh wait... no... that's not what they did at all.

Thsi article bothers me

But any publicity is good publicity

What can I say. I talked to the reporter for 5 minutes, discussing the recent trend in copublishing among other things, but that is the quote that they used.

The stack of games pictured is mine. That should clear up what I feel about American Publishers.

I started another thread on this, as I did not see this one. (It had rolled off the front page by the time I logged on.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The link in my first post now points to a later issue of the paper. This link will still work:
http://epaper.ocregister.com/Default/Scripting/ArchiveView.a...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.