Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Cates
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really really enjoyed it! After it was over I kept thinking about strategy and the story that happened during the game. I couldn't go to sleep for a couple hours. We had 3 players which *I think* is a bad number for this game but everyone still enjoyed it. I played 4 characters and Yargo (Will H) and Jeremy each played 2.

Initially we struggled a bit with the rules but as we got used to them the story developed.

The first melee happened when ol' Tex ran up behind Sir Gwain in the Future labryinth. Unbenknownst to Tex he was pickin' a fight with the wrong fella. Sir Gwain jousted him with two hits and came back on the next turn for a beheading. Poor ol' Tex should've know better than to bring a knife to a gun fight.

Ace Cannon was a star. He defeated 3 guardians quickly and was running around with a powder gun, a sub-machinegun, and a claymore sword. You can just picture this quarter back running around the fields with these weapons.

Agent 911 surprised me with his "6-12 is a miss and 5 you damage the opponent" ability. 3 turns were completely wasted trying to hit him while the other characters were defeating guardians and gaining vicktory points. I see now that it's important to slow your opponent down and Agent 911 did a good job of that.

All in all it was an enjoyable experience I can't wait to play again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Mathews
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Three players aren't a bad number for the game. It just means you either need to split things up like you did, find another way to mark guardians for in the labrynths and play 3-way, or download the cutthroat rules from the website. The cutthroat rules are the more advanced way to play with shifting alliances and such but good games can be played 3-way with everyone having their own bunch of people and giving 2-1-0 pts for victory in the labs and character count.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Brooks
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Some are born to move the world To live their fantasies But most of us just dream about The things we'd like to be Sadder still to watch it die Than never to have known it For you, the blind who once could see The bell tolls for thee...
mbmbmbmbmb
How many platters did you use and what was the time limit for the game? I think you'll find that the set-up parameters of this game are very important. Four characters per team is probably fine for a learning session, but I think you'll find playing with a greater number of characters more enjoyable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cates
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We used four platters and we played for an hour and a half. We went into it knowing it's a learning session. I'm sure next time we'll play more characters for longer. We didn't even move one of the guardians. One platter was almost totally avoided so it seemed like there was a lot of wasted space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Brooks
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Some are born to move the world To live their fantasies But most of us just dream about The things we'd like to be Sadder still to watch it die Than never to have known it For you, the blind who once could see The bell tolls for thee...
mbmbmbmbmb
[I find that some people get turned-off to this game because their initial game is set-up in a simiar way as your learning game. Too few characters on too many platters for too little time tends to be a common problem. It usually makes for a boring game as there is very little combat and character interaction, little time to develop characters (get equipment cards) and a feeling that there's no "point" to the game. Fortunately, it doesn't seem that your group got that impression.

There's other threads on the "best" set-up parameters for this game. I'd suggest you read some to get some opinions. My general "rule of thumb" is X platters, 2-3X characters per team, for X hours (where X is usually 3 for a shorter game and 4 for a longer game).

Hope this helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.