United States
Carlisle
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
XENON PROFITEER 2015!
mbmbmbmbmb
So, just like many Kickstarter backers this year, I just recently received my Rabbit packs from Dice Hate Me. Sadly, because of my holiday work schedule, I haven't been able to get any to the table and instead having been solving mysteries in 19th century London with Sherlock Holmes. For some reason, this sparked my interest in solo games and I sat down and created a quick solo version to play!

Any additions, comments, or feedback is very welcome. Enjoy.

GOAL

Reach 21 points (or more), before the card deck is exhausted.

HOW TO PLAY

This solo variant uses all the same basic rules from the normal Brew Crafters: The Travel Card Game, with a few additions to create an AI that tries desperately to ruin your brewing facility. I will note the NEW rules below, but otherwise assume that play is the same as normal.

SETUP

(Remove the cards shown above. Make sure they are the versions that show HOPS & Barley respectively.)

Shuffle the main deck, deal 4 cards to yourself, and deal 4 cards face-up to the AI player as shown. If the cards are the same type of ingredient, splay them so that the ingredient is easily seen (the abilities on AI cards will not be used).

Then turn the next five cards face up in a row in the middle of the table, and keep the deck face-down nearby to the left side. Create a discard pile as play continues.

PLAYER TURN

1. As normal, Draw 2 cards into your hand, either from those face-up in the center row or from the deck.

2. NEW After drawing 2 cards into your hand, slide all cards to the right. The AI player will retrieve the two cards furthest to the right and add them to his tableau, splaying cards as needed. (If there is ever less than 2 cards, the AI player will take all that remain.)

2b. NEW Before taking the rest of your turn, refill the center row to 5 total cards as shown making sure that the oldest cards are slid furthest to the right. This will allow you to plan for the next turn and take extra cards from the row with special abilities.

3. Take 2 actions. This extra action will be needed as the AI can many times be vicious. As normal, you may either play a card to your Brewery OR Brew a batch of beer OR Pass as a single action. You may complete any of these actions in the order of your choosing and may repeat the same action twice if needed.

4. NEW End of turn. Check to see if the AI player has completed a set of three ingredients of the same type. For every set of three ingredients, you MUST discard a Built Brewery card. Discard the Brewery card from play, along with the 3 ingredient cards. (If the AI player has more than 3 ingredients of a type, any remaining ingredients stay in play.)

GAME END

The game ends either when you have reached 21 points, or on a turn when you are unable to add 5 total cards to the center row. Complete that turn, and if you are unable to reach 21 points, your terrible management has caused your Craft Brewery to close its doors forever.

NEW BREWERY TOUR & EMPLOYEE MANAGER

These two cards cannot be built. When playing them to your Brewery, they are immediately discarded and instead of scoring points at Game End, you immediately score points equal to your current Worker or Equipment total.

NOTES:
If you want to make it more difficult, randomly remove a few cards at game start. If you want to make it easier, add back in the removed cards.

The AI destroys cards at the end of the turn. You'll get to take your actions before a card is discarded, so use them wisely!

Thanks to Ben for creating a cool portable card game with my face in it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Frahm
United States
Queen Creek
AZ
flag msg tools
badge
And here I assumed that the solo variant would just require me to locate 2 of the 3 brewmaster cards in the deck...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mat Thomsen
United States
Medway
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent! Thanks TC.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Studley
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Who fell asleep in the rain? Did you fall asleep in the rain? Yes you did. Oh yes you did.
mbmbmbmbmb
I played it twice last night. It works great. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elizabeth Nugent

Washington
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What do you do if the AI is dealt three of a kind?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TC Petty III
United States
Carlisle
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
XENON PROFITEER 2015!
mbmbmbmbmb
ENugent wrote:
What do you do if the AI is dealt three of a kind?

Resolve it like normal at the end of the turn. Probably a good time NOT to build something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Brown
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Only going through the deck once?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TC Petty III
United States
Carlisle
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
XENON PROFITEER 2015!
mbmbmbmbmb
Pheurton13 wrote:
Only going through the deck once?

Yep! That's the endgame timer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wil
United Kingdom
South London
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmb
Re: Removal of Employee Manager cards
Could someone please clarify the following.

The solo instructions above say to remove the Employee Manager cards with the Malt and Hops ingredients symbol.

In my pack I have the following Employee Manager cards. 4 number in total.
1 with the Yeast symbol
1 with the Malt symbol
And 2 with the Hops symbol

So. Do I remove both Employee Manager cards with the Hop symbol or one as shown in the above photo? The photo implies only one with the Hop symbol.

Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wil
United Kingdom
South London
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmb
chris_r_wilkins wrote:
Could some please clarify the following.

The solo instructions above say to remove the Employee Manager cards with the Malt and Hops ingredients symbol.

In my pack I have the following Employee Manager cards. 4 number in total.
1 with the Yeast symbol
1 with the Malt symbol
And 2 with the Hops symbol

So. Do I remove both Employee Manager cards with the Hop symbol or one as shown in the above photo? The photo implies only one with the Hop symbol.

Cheers

Anyone?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.