Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bryce Callighan
United States
DeKalb
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tuesday nights are board game nights at our newly opened FLGS. I brought my copy of Samurai, not yet having a 4 player experience. After rounding up 3 other persons, and explaining the rules, we set up the board so that there was a fairly even distribution of the three types of pieces (no island was resource heavy in one time or another). Also, it was agreed to have a random starting hand, so as to have equal footing. Once this was completed, we were off to spread our influence all over Japan.

I ended up going last in the turn order, which ended up being to my advantage. For the first tile placement, all three of my opponents made a bid on Edo’s resources with there first move. Seeing that Edo was going to be a mess, I decided to be different and place my 3 Samurai at Hokkaido.

The game would have probably progressed in a fairly uneventful manner for me, until we reached about the mid-point in the game. While my opponents had started to draw and place their boats, I still had none (at this point, we had all played our tile swaps). My ronin must have been lost, because he was no where to be found either. This really limited what I could do with my hand, as I would not have enough influence to close off resources. By the time I was down to 6 tiles left to draw; only one was not a boat. I did get a chance to play a couple of boats at the very end, when the opponent to my right took the last Buddha.

When we revealed our figures, there was a three way tie for majorities. We then counted up the total of our other figures, and I actually ended up winning with 6 figures (3 Buddha and 3 rice paddies). The others had 5(the one who took the last Buddha) and 3 (He had actually gone a little Buddha crazy, and didn’t capture the other resources).

Even though they hadn’t won, everyone agreed that it was a very entertaining game. I know it was a little more tense than usual for me, with my boats coming in so late into the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.