8 Posts

The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game – The Road Darkens» Forums » Rules

Subject: MInes of Moria rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
mroni mnn
Poland
flag msg tools
Let's suppose that I have active location and Mines of Moria (Whiles Mines of Moria is in the staging area, progress must be placed on Mines of Moria before it can be placed on the current quest) in stagging area. I must place three progress tokens on current quest card. And that's the question: on which location should I place these tokens?
Thanks for your help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty sure it all goes on the Mines of Moria until it is cleared (removed from the staging area) then any remaining tokens are placed on the active quest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
black spark
msg tools
Mines of Moria: "While Mines of Moria is in the staging area, progress must be placed on Mines of Moria before it can be placed on the current quest."

I would think the active location is not part of the "current quest". I'm inclined to place progress on the active location, then Mines of Moria, then the current quest card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
black spark wrote:
Mines of Moria: "While Mines of Moria is in the staging area, progress must be placed on Mines of Moria before it can be placed on the current quest."

I would think the active location is not part of the "current quest". I'm inclined to place progress on the active location, then Mines of Moria, then the current quest card.

Hmmmm, on further reflection (assuming that's the correct text) I think you are right. The quest resolution order would then be placing tokens on:

1) the active location.

2) the Mines of Moria.

3) the current Quest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Fuller
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
black spark wrote:

Id have to double check, but I believe its in the Rules that any active location becomes the 'current quest.' If it said 'Quest card,' then that would be the case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Lanser
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the current quest is the active location if there is one. Here's some relevant passages from the FAQ.
Quote:
Q: Does the effect on Legolas (CORE 5) place progress
tokens on an active location, if there is one?
A: Yes. Always place progress tokens on an active
location instead of the quest, unless the ability
specifically states to bypass any active location.

And
Quote:
(1.00) The Golden Rule
The Golden Rule reads: “If the game text of a card
contradicts the text of the rulebook, the text on the card
takes precedence.”
The Golden Rule applies when there is a direct
contradiction between card text and rules text. If it is
possible to observe both card text and the text of the
rulebook, both are observed.
Example: The rulebook (p. 15) reads: “Any progress
tokens that would be placed on a quest card are instead
placed on the active location.” Legolas (CORE 5) has
an effect that reads, “...place 2 progress tokens on the
current quest.” Legolas’ effect would place 2 progress
tokens on the quest; the core rule from page 15 instead
places those tokens on the active location. Thus, the
Legolas ability can successfully resolve, and the core
rule can be observed, without creating a golden rule
situation.
(If a card effect read, “place a progress token on the
current quest, bypassing any active location,” a direct
contradiction between card text and rulebook would be
created, and the golden rule would then take effect.)

That to me means that you place progress on Mines of Moria first, then the active location, and finally the quest card. And yes, that is a serious pain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie
United States
Belmont
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you guys notice that the Cardboard of the Ring guys (https://youtu.be/v63aiHLs9Hc?t=1957) concluded:

Active Location -> Mines -> Current Quest

Now, it is my belief and how I've played so far anytime the words "current quest" appear on ANY card (I don't believe Mines is the first at all), the current quest is: "the active location if any, then your quest card"...

but the group in that twitch stream concluded what I wrote above. In part supported by someone quoting the rulebook that worded active location separately from 'current quest'. I almost want to believe that...

p.s. the quest is harder if you make mines absorb before active location!

edit: an interesting point could be made that this FAQ entry supports current quest != active location:

Quote:
Q: If there is an active location with the text "Immune
to player card effects" when Legolas participates in an
attack that destroys an enemy, do I place 2 progress on
the active location or the quest?
A: No. When Legolas' ability would put progress on
the current quest, if there is an active location, it puts
progress on that location instead. If that location is
immune to player card effects, it ignores Legolas'
ability. Therefore, no progress would be placed on the active location or current quest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Fanchi
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Official response:
I wrote:
If a location (e.g. Wall of Trees, Mines of Moria) has the text "Progress must be placed on _____ before it can be placed on the current quest", does progress get placed on those locations before or after being placed on the active location?

Caleb Grace wrote:
I am afraid that we have ruled the opposite in the past. I believe Nate and I had a conversation about these types of effects and the end result was that progress must be placed on Wall of Trees before it is placed on the active location. The reason is you only put progress on the active location when you would put it on the quest, but Wall of Trees says you must put the progress there first, so it never has the opportunity to go on the quest (or active location) until Wall of Trees is explored.

And just in case there was any doubt, I asked this follow up:

I wrote:
Gotcha. But in a case like the Lorien Guide of an effect that places progress directly on the active location itself, or even an effect like Arod that places progress on any location, those progress can go directly onto the active location because they do not say to put it on the quest. Correct?

Matt Newman wrote:
Of course. If something places progress directly to the active location, then there’s no reason for that progress to be redirected anywhere else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.