Puerto Rico» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Second 2P Session Ends in a double draw rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron Doty
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My GF and I played our second game of PR last night. We have been using the excellent 2P board provided here on the Geek by Carrotteer (see files and photo below). For a game released as a 3-5 player, we find that it plays very well as 2P.

View of final position at the end of our game (see close-up of game boards below)

After my first game, where the game ended just after I had built the Residence, but before I could occupy it with a colonist, I was determined that the University and the Hospice would be the first buildings I built -- to ensure that my buildings and plantations would come pre-occupied, without needing to subsequently use the Mayor role.

My GF, on the other hand, concentrated on production and export, taking a firm lead in Victory Points, particularly through early corn exports. Once my production capacity had caught up, I was able to inflict one disastrous round on her -- when she was unable to export and did not have any occupied warehouses to store her massed production. All the same, I was still convinced, right to the end of the game, that I was trailling badly behind.

My GF chose the Mayor role and we ran out of colonists, just as I had accumulated enough doubloons to buy a large building in a desperate attempt to recover lost ground. However, when the counting was done, it turned out that we had tied (each with 18 VP and 12 building points). We then counted goods and money to determine the final winner, only to discover that we were tied again -- each with 8 doubloons and 6 goods. As you can see from the final board positions below, I miscalculated badly in the end game, allowing the colonist supply to run down while I still had three spare colonists sitting on San Juan.

Close up view of game boards at end of game (top - me, bottom - GF)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you playing the Alea two player variant?

We normally score much higher and have big building out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Doty
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes this result is from playing the Alea variant - but both times we've run out of colonists just at the point where we are looking at building big buildings -- we are thinking of bumping the colonist numbers up (maybe from 42 to 56) and adding another 10 VPs, just to lengthen the game a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.