Tony Alonzo
United States
Eagle Mountain
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just recieved the base game if Robinson Crusoe for christmas yesterday. I read through the rules and tried the 1st scenario solo. It's way fun. I won, but for some reason it seemed too easy. Maybe I better go over the rules to double check I was playing correctly.

I am wondering how the Voyage of the Beagle expands the base game. I usually obtain expansions to either widen game mechanics (Last Night on Earth) or add content (Lord of the Rings LCG) or strengthen the core game with additional cards and such (Fortune and Glory) or induce more variability of character and scenario selection (Descent Journeys in the Dark 2nd Edition).

From the looks of it, Beagle is a really different game. Do you even use the core game board or only the ship? Are any of the components designed to be used in the base game and current scenarios?

Usually I like when expansions beef up character selections, cards, weapons, enemy choices or abilities, but last night when I played I drew some terrible "?" Cards that ceased resources, drew a "fight spiders" mystery card, and fought a nasty gorilla. After that, I said to myself "I don't need any more cards in those decks" lol.

Oh, I already ordered the extra content pack from Portal games and the 1st set of special ability cards from BGG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
mbmbmbmbmb
Voyage of the Beagle adds only very few cards of the already existing types to the game. There are a few Event cards that include a neat little mechanism which doesn't change the game, really, just makes it a little more interesting. 12? Something around the tennish area, I think.

Then, there is ONE new character - the Missionary.

The rest are either cards with completely new (more or less) mechanisms (like the Crewmembers) or are scenario-specific components.

The Crewmembers are basically new and varied Helpers, like Friday or the Dog, only a little less useful than Friday (often) and a little better than the dog. They provide variety of the helpful kind.

However, the big thing is the scenarios.
VotB provides 5 new scenarios that have fresh, new and partially even completely different mechanisms included. Don't get me wrong, you still use most of the base game stuff (at least in most scenarios), but you also use new stuff! Lots of new stuff.

Oh, and the scenarios connect to form a campaign of 5 scenarios "in a row"...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bolton
England
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
nothing to see here, move along
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
habanero wrote:
I just recieved the base game if Robinson Crusoe for christmas yesterday. I read through the rules and tried the 1st scenario solo. It's way fun. I won, but for some reason it seemed too easy. Maybe I better go over the rules to double check I was playing correctly.

It's certainly possible to win, but if you win Castaways a lot without any clear strategy - it's likely you missed something. Some people who thought the game was too easy have found rules they have overlooked.

Mostly it's a game that beats you, as Castaways did to me earlier today - and then the King Kong scenario, twice cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
mbmbmbmbmb
Castaways is not the easiest of scenarios, and if you win too often, you are quite possibly either exceptionally lucky (unlikely) or, as Nick has placed it, probably have overlooked a rule.

That said, you COULD be THAT good, too, and get it in the first go. But then, if you "get it" every time, that is not genius (anymore), as the game is constructed with so much unplannable variation that winning every game of the first scenario is highly unlikely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Alonzo
United States
Eagle Mountain
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a two player game today and clarified some more rules. We almost died and felt defeated multiple times, but we pulled off the win in the 11th month.

Played again in the 4 player mode. That was more difficult and the game dynamics were all over the place. Morale went from +2 to -2 in a single turn. We always had people go hungry for the first six months. Felt solid on the rules this game, and we ended up winning in the 12th month.

I think I will take the time to enjoy the base game and play the different scenarios prior to obtaining the Beagle expansion. I am confident that I will want more from this game with the extra content in the expansion. The ship really takes the theme beyond the base game, which I think is really cool. This game is really fun and can't wait to play again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Cleary
United States
Bellingham
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Beagle adds tokens for the basket and sack, along with 14 new event cards. I would say get it and add those things alone into your base set and just keep having fun with the base set.

I also recommend the following official and fan scenarios which can be found here and printed: Hunters, Tracing Doctor Livingstone, Dinosaur Island, King Kong Island, and The Naturalist (if you want a taste of what the Beagle was originally).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.