Seth
Netherlands
Eindhoven
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I have played something wrong since the beginning. I don't think it matters that much, since the game still plays very good the way I do it, but I think I have made my games a bit more difficult than I had too. So here goes:

I have:

1) Professor X Psionic Astral Form
2) Storm Gathering Stormclouds
3) Ice Man Ice Slide

Now, what I always used to do is play one of these as the first card and ignore the power that's on the card, then play the other two using their powers. So far so good... But what I think I did wrong was assuming I was activating the second card with the first AND the third card with the SECOND. And what I'm thinking now is: do I really need to do that or is the first card enough to activate all other cards (of the same color) that follow...? It would certainly make life a little easier since I'm now always looking all over the place to find cards I haven't "used" already to activate a power on a card that comes after it.

Again. My way works, but it makes the game a bit more difficult. Could someone clarify if I've been doing it wrong? Can you or can't you "use" the color of a card more than once to activate cards that follow?

Cheers,

Seth
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If a card shows that a power icon is necessary to activate its effect, you only have to have played a card with that symbol (color) previously in that turn. So card 1 can activate every other card you play with a matching symbol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carnilius IV
msg tools
mb
Furthermore, it is not optional, so you MUST do the activated power if possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Drury
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
The only stupid question... is the one you don't ask!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
carnilius wrote:
Furthermore, it is not optional, so you MUST do the activated power if possible.

I would say it depends on the wording. If a power says "You may discard any card from your hand"... the "may" means you have permission to, but do not have to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Breuch
Germany
Kettig
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
blipadouzi wrote:
carnilius wrote:

I would say it depends on the wording. If a power says "You may discard any card from your hand"... the "may" means you have permission to, but do not have to.

By choosing to discard or not to discard, you are resolving the activated effect.
It is not optional, you have to choose.
Ignoring the effect by neither discarding nor not discarding you are breaking the game with an illigal game state... and also reality.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.