Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In most scenarios where an entire river is Fordable, as this one, Ford tiles are usually treated as clear (in effect, as bridges). This would appear not to be the case here, as such is not stated. One wonders then, why the two Ford tiles are there, rather than just two more river tiles. One possibility is that its simply an available terrain tile mix issue.

But it would make sense to use them also, if they were meant to be clear, but the designer just doesn't want it to be too easy for the French to get points for occupying a bridge by making four bridges available; so enter two Ford tiles instead. If treated as clear, the two Fords could act as easy terrain for crossing, but not as Temporary Victory Banners for the French if they occupy them, as the two actual bridges do.

The historical text is no help, as it mentions "all three bridges." In fact, there are only two, as there are also in the next Halle scenario. (The three historical bridges may have been cut down to two for game balance purposes, which would be fine, it just doesn't give us a hint about how to answer the question).

So, are the Fords meant to be treated the same as all of the Fordable River hexes as written, or differently (as clear crossings)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Minot
North Dakota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On CCNapoleonics.net, it says "The entire river system of the Saale is fordable. The shallow fords do not stop movement."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aha, thanks Tex! The first sentence had been mentioned here, but I did not see the second. Makes sense--although I don't think it would have affected my plays so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.