Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Shockley
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

I just bought a copy of this game on eBay. I think it's a first edition; it has a color drawing of a battle on the front, a cover price of 3.95, and it says "microgame 8" across the bottom. The blurb on the back says "fast and deadly".

I was wondering if there were any significant changes I might need to make - whether to the rules or the counters. I know that sometimes first editions have bugs that get tweaked in later editions.

Thanks! Can't wait to try out GEV.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope. Play and enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know what your counters are like, but the earliest Steve Jackson version had them printed, double sided, on just plain card you had to cut up. I'd suggest copying instead, and making your own with thicker card! There are also some sets of alternative art counters on BGG, either under GEV or Ogre.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GEV was one of my first wargames ever and I've owned several editions over the years from the SJ Games black plastic box edition and the combined OGRE/GEV edition up to the most recent OGRE DE printing.

Don't think there were any substantial rules changes (!) over the years.

In Shockwave and I believe the Ogre Reinforcement Pack, new rules and units were added for: new OGRE types, buildings and fortifications (with hit points plus Laser Towers to shoot down Cruise Missiles), new units (Light GEVs, GEV-PCs, Super Heavy Tanks, Cruise Missiles and mobile Launchers), and nuke rules for OGRE self-destruct and Cruise Missiles going BOOM.

The original Metagaming edition of GEV had essentially a black & white map, but the SJ Games editions upgraded to colour maps. To expand the game, you could purchase the Ogre Reinforcement Pack pack which adds all the old SJ Games counter sheets and maps from OGRE, GEV and Shockwave. If you're quick, there's a copy on BGG Marketplace still available for a reasonable price (get moving, and good hunting!).

Also, the latest rules for OGRE/GEV are available as a pdf download from SJ Games, you'll definitely want a copy.

http://www.sjgames.com/ogre/kickstarter/ogre_rulebook.pdf

A BGG user created this excellent overview of the OGRE/GEV games which is well worth a download/read here:

Ogre: Microgame to Maxigame

GEV is an old design, but still a solid wargame and very teachable imo. Haven't played in years, and still need to assemble my OGRE: DE edition counters (one year later...). Should probably prep my copy for play in 2015.

MM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wulf Corbett wrote:
I don't know what your counters are like, but the earliest Steve Jackson version had them printed, double sided, on just plain card you had to cut up. I'd suggest copying instead, and making your own with thicker card! There are also some sets of alternative art counters on BGG, either under GEV or Ogre.

They are also very tiny. I'd enlarge them and the map sheet as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Robrob wrote:
They are also very tiny. I'd enlarge them and the map sheet as well.
I remember them being standard 1/2" wargame counter sized, but maybe not. I did also copy & enlarge a few of the GEV mapsheets & print a set of bigger counters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

The very first editions of Ogre had a "bug" of sort, but not a lot of those were printed. G.E.V. is bug free, play and you'll be playing the same game as the folks who got the Designer's Edition last year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Saxton
United States
Affton (St. Louis)
Missouri
flag msg tools
After all, gas can is my middle name. Eh, not really.
mbmbmbmbmb
If it is the actual Microgame #8, then the counters are single sided, blue and white -- and while they haven't changed the rules a lot, there were tweaks. Newer counters are two sided, with the reverse being when you 'disable' a unit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don`t forget that the OGRE pocket edition was released this year for just $2.95... a cheap way to obtain some extra counters for GEV.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Shockley
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't received the game yet, so I'm not sure what the counters are like.

It's the Metagaming edition - which I'm assuming (hoping) means I *won't* have to cut the counters out myself?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Shockley
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
monstrooper wrote:
Don`t forget that the OGRE pocket edition was released this year for just $2.95... a cheap way to obtain some extra counters for GEV.

That's on the way as well - should have it tomorrow :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Saxton
United States
Affton (St. Louis)
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Magnus Maximus wrote:

It's the Metagaming edition - which I'm assuming (hoping) means I *won't* have to cut the counters out myself?

If it is an actual Metagaming game, yes, the counters will have to be cut out, unless the prior owner cut them out. The original Metagaming games were totally uncut, then they went to just one direction cut.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Shockley
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mack_me_Bucko wrote:
Magnus Maximus wrote:

If it is an actual Metagaming game, yes, the counters will have to be cut out, unless the prior owner cut them out. The original Metagaming games were totally uncut, then they went to just one direction cut.

Ah, I see. Well I'm pretty sure they're uncut, as the game is described as "new old stock".

Any tips? Never had to do it before - I'm guessing an X-acto blade is called for?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Saxton
United States
Affton (St. Louis)
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scissors can work, but they have to be really sharp, tight, and precise -- I prefer an X-acto with #11 blade, and a good straight-edge helps too. If you are a hobbyist and have a "chopper" that works as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Saxton
United States
Affton (St. Louis)
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I found the listing you bought on eBay -- yes, it looks original. Just for a lark, when you get it, does it have four or three train counters? As issued it should have four (that's a true 1st Edition), but mine has three, and I have always surmised it was a second print run counter sheet, in a first edition bag (not a box).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Shockley
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll let you know how many train counters it has when I get it.

Thank you for the tips on cutting the counters. I sure don't want to mess them up, as the game was a little pricey! :/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Saxton
United States
Affton (St. Louis)
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pricey, perhaps, but I still have my originals from 1978 -- and they are still playable, so it's a long term investment that'll pay off.

From what I can tell, that 1st Edition cover art originally had a counter sheet that was 100% uncut, then very quickly switched to strip cut. The 2nd Edition should definitely have die-cut counters. Maybe you'll get lucky and yours will be the strip cut design?

It's a pain to cut up all those sheets, I recently bought my son GEV, Shockwave, and Reinforcements ... my hands were sore by the time I was done cutting them all up.

While the new Pocket Edition Ogre counters are die-cut, they are also thicker than the old counters, and that might look odd -- plus, the unique thing about this edition of GEV is that it was blue and white artwork, not black and white counters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I was one of the folks holding my breath for this when it came out after a few delays. It was one of the first and my memory, for what it's worth all these years later, is that it was blue and white, printed one side, and cut vertically - we had to cut it horizontally.

Hobby knife of some kind and a steel straight edge would be the best way to cut it, but scissors worked for me then and could work for you now.

Adding Pocket Ogre is a great idea - it's a great game on its own and it will increase what you can do with G.E.V.

Remember that $3.95 in 1979 is the same as $12.85 today.

Welcome to the world of Ogre, there's a lot of fun in front of you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Shockley
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
andreww wrote:

I was one of the folks holding my breath for this when it came out after a few delays. It was one of the first and my memory, for what it's worth all these years later, is that it was blue and white, printed one side, and cut vertically - we had to cut it horizontally.

Hobby knife of some kind and a steel straight edge would be the best way to cut it, but scissors worked for me then and could work for you now.

Adding Pocket Ogre is a great idea - it's a great game on its own and it will increase what you can do with G.E.V.

Remember that $3.95 in 1979 is the same as $12.85 today.

Welcome to the world of Ogre, there's a lot of fun in front of you.

Thanks! I think I'll really like Ogre, as I dig light wargames. Plus, the sci-fi theme looks neat.

Regarding monetary inflation...sadly, I paid a little more than 12.85! But if I enjoy it as much as I think I will, it'll be worth it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've sold off many, many wargames over the years, but still held onto my OGRE/GEV games.

Part of it is definitely due to nostalgia, but I also remember the games as being quite fun to play, fast playing with simple rules, and also very thematic. For a simple wargame, tactics and strategy are definitely applicable.

The level of carnage (destroyed units, rampaging OGRES, large nukes going BOOM) just added to the entertainment value of the game.

Hope you enjoy your purchase. I plan to play/introduce this game to my nephews once they are old enough.

MM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Shockley
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Got my copy of GEV today - in mint condition, completely unpunched (or should I say "uncut".)

To answer the earlier query from my fellow geek: my counter sheet has four trains.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Saxton
United States
Affton (St. Louis)
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the info, four trains then means you have a true first edition G.E.V. set -- and really, while expensive, it's money well spent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Shockley
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice to know.

It's funny to think this game has been sitting untouched for 35 years, and now in 2015, it's finally been punched and played. Better late than never.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.