Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there any reason this couldn't have been worded as "adjacent tile" ??

Is there a case where "within 1 tile" wouldn't be an adjacent tile?

Other questions:

1) When dealing with range, no LOS rules apply, do they? One can't attack through walls, but so long as the player has non-wall LOS to a tile, you can hit anything on it (even if a square to square straight line edge goes through a wall)? Logic says "no," but I can't source a rule in the rulebook that would prevent this.

2) This will be a hard one to explain... let me see if I can

OOO
OOPO
OX

O = tile.
X = where the wizard ended his hero phase.
P = where the monsters were (and another hero).

The space below P hadn't been filled with a tile yet, it would be added after the wizard's hero phase. I ruled the wizard couldn't hit the P space until their next round, since lack of a tile prevented LOS. Again, I was making up LOS rules, but it seemed we couldn't rule out a wall being added to the space under P.

Was this correct, or can you shoot through absent tiles?

3) Encounter cards. Two questions here:

a) Are events resolved after or before monsters? The rules specify that traps are added to the queue, but we weren't sure about events.

b) As our very first encounter (first round for the first player) we drew Ashardalon. That can happen?!

I assume so, but I always assumed she would be a part of a specific scenario.

4) Poison: Do you roll to remove poison on the turn you acquire it (effectively never taking damage), or can you only roll after it has gone into effect once?

I don't see why not,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevin Beattie
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The tile you're counting from isn't adjacent to itself, but it is still within 1 (0 ≤ 1).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lord Soth
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you look at the sequence of play card Events are resolved before the villain and the monsters activate unless it is a trap card that you refer to.

There are 4 adventure encounter cards (ashardalon arrives, ashardalon breathes, ceremony progresses and the vast gate flares) that are not shuffled into the encounter deck unless the adventure specifies.

If you look at the poison condition token you take 1 damage at the start of your hero phase. At the end of your hero phase is when you roll to end the poison condition. The only way that you do not take poison damage is if another character is able to remove that condition from you before the start of your next turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Russell
United States
Bend
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that "within 1 tile" is worded as such and not simply as adjacent tile to refer to both the tile the hero/monster is on and an adjacent tile. In the example below, if the hero/monster is on X, then X and Z and X and Y are "within 1 tile." Q is not "within 1 tile," even if X, Y, Z, and Q form a single large chamber.

X Y
Z Q

1) Logic says that Tile X is adjacent to Tile Q, and yet they are not "within 1 tile" in this game. That being said, if these were squares, they would be adjacent. As far as LOS is concerned, there really is not a lot of logic here, at least as I understand it. I believe that you are correct here though. You can't "shoot" through walls; otherwise, just be sure that you are within the correct number of tiles for your specified attack.

2) I'm not sure that I fully understand your example here, but I think what you are saying is that the Monster is around a corner and the Wizard wants to perform a "within 2 tiles" attack like Arc Lightning (not 100% sure if I got the name correct there). I understand what you are saying about LOS, but since there are no LOS rules, I would say that this mighty wizard who can also send an eye out to explore for him would surely be powerful enough to bend his lightning around a corner. But if you prefer in your home to play with LOS house rules, nothing stops you from doing so. As established above, the rules for this game are not always the most logical.

3. Encounters:

a. In Step 1 of your Villain phase, draw an Encounter card (if you did not explore or if you encountered a black triangle) and then resolve the event. In Step 2, activate the Villain, if any. In Step 3, activate Monsters and Traps in the order that you received them (Rules, pg. 7).

b. No, you should not encounter Ashardalon this early on (as far as I know), and yes, she is a part of later adventures. The rulebook instructs you to remove four cards from the Encounter deck, two of which deal with Ashardalon (see Rules, pg. 4). I suspect that you may have forgotten to pull out these cards and that this is how you encountered Ashardalon. Another way that you might encounter her is through the Chamber deck, if an adventure instructs you to draw from it.

4. I agree with the comments above. Both the damage and the roll to get rid of the condition will not happen until your next turn at the beginning of your Hero Phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.