Allen Vailliencourt
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a thought/idea.

Have games UPC#'s and/or ISBN numbers listed with their entries.

For example on the back of Ticket to Ride are these #'s -->

UPC Barcode: 824968717912
ISBN: 0-9752773-2-4
ISBN Barcode: 9780975277324

If you query the UPC code via a site like the UPC Database you get this result --> http://www.upcdatabase.com/itemnotfound.asp?upc=082496871791... (says it's not in the DB but the code belongs to Days of Wonder).

If you query the ISBN Barcode in the same DB you get a message saying it's an ISBN code.

Thing is if you google the 1st barcode you get 0 results. If you google the 2nd barcode you get a couple of listings on the web from a few information sites and e-stores.

Here's how it can help BGG I'm thinking...

1. Incorporating the barcode makes it easier to lookup games by that code, either via scanner or by coding it in (for junkies like me ).
2. Increased traffic to BGG. By having barcode/ISBN info listed with the games it will drive traffic to BGG due to the fact that there isn't a lot of info on the web currently tying the code back to the game.

I know some games won't have the info handy, but might be a good way to help get some things standardized as well as making the 'geek a better place.

Thoughts?

~Allen

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've got an 808 and a 303 and a record collection like the ABC
mbmbmbmbmb
Would these vary from country to country and edition to edition, though?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Vailliencourt
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sbszine wrote:
Would these vary from country to country and edition to edition, though?

Hmm, good thought. You could be right in that regards. Someone with a German copy of TTR can probably look and see if they are different (for example).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.