Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Marano
United States
Nutley
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just wanted to confirm that I'm treating an opponent's hybrid cards properly when it comes to scoring a cat or turtle I might have in my pond at the end of the round. In the case of a turtle, I assume one waits until after ribbons have been awarded - i.e. until after the opponent has selected the colors of the hybrid cards in his river for purposes of determining who has the most koi in each color. But in the case of the cat, there are times when an opponent's hybrid cards in his house don't necessarily have to be assigned to any color, because they don't factor into the scoring of HIS points. In such cases, I've been playing it that that the opponent still must select a color, and that he obviously will pick the color that minimizes scoring for his opponent's cat.

Is this the correct interpretation of the rules?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Solis
United States
Durham
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
That is generally correct, but there are rules in the larger Rulebook for how to resolve hybrids at end of the game in a particular order. See the sidebar titled "A Note on Hybrids" at the bottom for a brief explanation:

The start player assigns a color to his earliest hybrid koi, then the player to his left does the same, and so on, each player assigning color to one koi at a time. Typically this isn't a common occurrence, so this process doesn't last long, but there ya go.

If I was smart, I would've designed the game so hybrids count as *both* colors and resolved any ambiguity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Marano
United States
Nutley
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks.
Though I think the way you've currently got the rules set up makes the most sense. Great game, by the way!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the score sheet seems to have Ribbons awarded last. (but, it may just be a reminder about the final score?, not round-by-round?)

Since the predators are quite powerful, we assumed the targeted player could assign colors to minimize damage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gobi wrote:

If I was smart, I would've designed the game so hybrids count as *both* colors and resolved any ambiguity.

we might try a game where the hybrids work to both marry/chain suits together AND score both colors for predators and Ribbons. Might be tricky though - especially in the House and Pond scoring.

should make for a mad scramble for them out of the Lake! (on reflection, they would be much less likely to be discarded to the River with that rule change - maybe)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.