Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean McCormick
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While I failed in my attempt to keep a steady equilibrium in my collection and send something out whenever I buy a new game, I still parted with several games this year, either as parts of trades or as outright sales. Here they are in no particular order, with a few comments to boot:

Fire in the Lake. My first dip into COIN. I've played several 4 player games PBEM, and while it's possible that the game is hurt by that format (I've found that to be the case with multiplayer games far more than 2 player ones), I haven't been blown away. I do appreciate the bite-sized nature of the moves, but I feel very much along for the ride rather than able to pursue any long term strategy (which may be my failing as a player). I also keep tripping up on the rules, which is frustrating considering the small page count. I would still be happy to play a game if offered, as it isn't a major investment of time per turn, but I don't need a hard copy.

The Caucasus Campaign. I've just really moved away from standard hex and counter operational designs in recent years. This one played fine, but my two attempts at PBEM games did nothing to convince me that the Germans have any chance to hit the victory conditions.

Conflict of Heroes: Storms of Steel! – Kursk 1943. I'm all in on the Band of Brothers system, which has made keeping alternate systems around fairly low priority. I do love the aesthetics of the CoH games, but the gameplay is just superior in the Worthington line.

Unconditional Surrender! World War 2 in Europe. I preordered this one based on the intriguing nature of the mechanics and the attractive aesthetic. The problem is that I simply don't have time for a game with this large a footprint or this long a playing time. That said, I feel like it's a bit of a special game, and I am considering reacquiring, if only to play single map scenarios.

Unhappy King Charles!. I have CDG fatigue these days. If I'm going to play one, it needs to be fast and engaging, which generally means Washington's War. I like the use of alt-history cards in UKC (a big issue I have generally with the genre), but the overall game feels too slow and clumsy for me at this point, and I have zero interest in the topic.

Thunderbolt Apache Leader. I'm not generally into air warfare and while there are many fans of the Leader system, it just didn't speak to me. I do like WW3 settings, but that wasn't enough to convince me to hang onto this when there was such a brisk trade market for it.

Polis: Fight for the Hegemony. I like this game quite a bit, but I was able to parlay it into acquiring a copy of Napoleon's Triumph, which is one of my grail games, so ultimately Polis had to go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
vins baudet
Spain
Valencia/Castiello de Jaca
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
@Sean , Polis 2 edition is in stock with little changes in siege rules, and events cards, but...it is not a wargame.

For me, no wargame has left the house this year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Fox
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
Fear cannot be banished, but it can be calm and without panic; it can be mitigated by reason and evaluation.
badge
A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals, and you know it.
mbmbmbmbmb
A major problem I have is the inflow of games outnumbers the outflow of games. It's starting to become a space issue.

I did manage to part with a few games this year though ...

Victory in the Pacific and Wooden Ships & Iron Men in the wargame math trade. I never liked Victory in the Pacific. It always felt like a game with a WWII Pacific theme pasted onto it. I kept it for many years assuming one day I'd "get" it. The day never arrived.

I used WS&IM as a sweetener, mostly because if I was going to play a naval game, I'd always rather play Flying Colors. I like WS&IM, but the reality was I was probably never going to play it again.

Panzer Grenadier: The East Front and Heroes of the Soviet Union: The Defense of Mother Russia 1942-43. I purchased both games at the same time and just didn't enjoy the system. I felt many of the scenarios ended in a big melee in the objective hex, and that melee resolution took multiple turns to resolve, with other units patiently waiting for casualties to clear enough space for them to join the melee. Since these were an older version, I feared I was going to have to toss them to get rid of them. Luckily, a fellow 'geek took them off my hands in exchange for a game he was lukewarm about Stalin's War.

Fields of Fire. A solitaire game I absolutely love. I sent it to my uncle (who is the guy that got me into wargames when I was 12 when he introduced me to ASL during a family trip to my grandma's house. I left with copies of USAC Auto Racing and Civilization that he gave me). He recently underwent a surgery that has left him unable to work. I know he sold his wargame collection years ago during a bad year to help pay for repairs to his rig (he was an independent truck driver). I figured he could use the distraction while he recovered from surgery, so I sent this to him.

There is the added benefit that I now have a reason to buy the second edition.

Games I'm still looking to trade (in case anyone swings by this thread and thinks they'd like a copy) ...

A Distant Plain. I'm over invested in the COIN series, so I'm willing to trade the copy I enjoy the least.

Empire of the Sun (latest version, includes 3Ci variant counters and mounted map). I'm planning on buying the reprint, so there really isn't a reason for me to keep this version. The best WWII Pacific strategic game around.

2 copies of World War II: Barbarossa to Berlin, the 2002 version. Mistakes were made.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Fox
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
Fear cannot be banished, but it can be calm and without panic; it can be mitigated by reason and evaluation.
badge
A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals, and you know it.
mbmbmbmbmb
seanmac wrote:
Thunderbolt Apache Leader. I'm not generally into air warfare and while there are many fans of the Leader system, it just didn't speak to me. I do like WW3 settings, but that wasn't enough to convince me to hang onto this when there was such a brisk trade market for it.

Oddly, I didn't like Phantom Leader but I really enjoyed Thunderbolt Leader. It's a fun game that doesn't take too long to play. I felt I had a lot more meaningful decisions to make in Thunderbolt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United Kingdom
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Because you can have too much.

Traded or sold these wargames:

These went in chain threads:

And while I'm at it, these non-wargames were released back into their natural habitat:

I think that is all.
I hope that in 2015 I can remove approximately 45 items from my 'owned' list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mb
I buy what I am likely to play. If I haven't played in 10 years, it's time to sell it. Fortunately, in the last 15 years, the choices have gotten much better, so I'd rather play something new. I also strive for balance in my small collection.

Patton's Best. Toward the end of AH, I could still find games like this one fairly priced at hobby stores. I figured it was solitaire, made by AH, and maybe like B-17: Queen of the Skies. Yet, every time I opened the box, I just could not get past the complexity and confusing layout. I think this was my second attempt at a sale, and I ended up practically giving it away. Why did I offer free shipping, even to California?

Tigers in the Mist. Another game that, at the time, was right in my price range. I played it once with a friend's copy. I was willing to play it more, but this was kind of ahead of its time, in that area movement games didn't seem to grab the wargame crowd back then as much for all battles. Maybe the focus on the early part of the battle made it a less competitive game. Anyway, this feed me to get Bitter Woods: Designer Edition. I tend to have one game on a given topic, and that is now my one Bulge game. Alas, maybe that, too, will sit on my shelf for 10 years.

Napoleon at Bay: Defend the Gates of Paris, 1814. About 10 years ago, I got into the Napoleonic battles. I bought a few games on the period. I thought operational-scale games would be perfect. Alas, I never met any operational wargamers, and I wasn't into VASSAL back then. Napoleonic gamers were even harder to find. Strangely for me, I never even played this solitaire.

I think I sold some other stuff, like some Illuminati cards and other non-wargame games. Those are the main ones I remember.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Henshaw
United States
East Bridgewater
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wargames leaving in 2014:
Advanced Squad Leader: Starter Kit #1 - sold via Wargame Marketplace on Facebook. - I am just not going to ever get around to this, so off they go.
Men of Iron Played it and it just didn't grab me. Sold on BGG Marketplace. I might try the newer one on the ECW.
Breakthrough: Cambrai traded for In Country: Vietnam 1965-75 This area control game did not grab me like others have. Shame really, I wanted to love it so.
Memoir '44: Air Pack- Sold on BGG Marketplace for a tidy sum. Was never going to play it, so I let it go to someone very excited about using it.
The Great War in Europe: Deluxe Edition- I bought this from a gamer down on his luck. I really did not want it and was eventually able to sell it to someone who wanted it on BGG Marketplace.
Malvern Hill I ended up with two of these and someone from the BGG Marketplace helped me fix that.
Sun of York I received this in a Math Trade and it never hit the table. I ended up selling it cheap to make shelf space.
Samurai Battles Bought on ebay cheap & Math Traded for Kemet
World in War: Combined Arms 1939-1945- Bought in a convention charity auction & traded in a Yankee Swap at our Dec. wargame meeting.
Other conflict type games let go:
Space Hulk (third edition)-sold at convention, my 2nd copy
Stronghold- sold at game convention- Enjoyed my 1 play, but did not see me ever getting it to the table again.
Heroscape Master Set: Swarm of the Marro- getting out of Heroscape except for original base units.
I am reshaping my wargame collection and I'm concentrating more on game series I enjoy and I'm starting to cull game that I don't see getting to the table in the next few years. I have plenty to play and don't need the current 'reserve' of games I currently own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph
United States
Ewing
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Christmas Card Exchange: 2009 - 2014
badge
I play at EPGS on the 1st and 3rd Saturday of the month and if you live in Eastern PA, Western NJ or Northern DE ... you should too!
mbmbmbmbmb
How can I sell a game? I'm not a game store.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing. Because.

But I only acquired 5-6 games this year, so that was OK.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I sold or traded not a single game this year.

I used to trade games with my buddies back in the day (70's, 80's), so we all seemed to possess each other's AH classics at one time or another. However, of late, I tend to collect games as much (more?) than play them, and I am less inclined to trade or sell a game. I think since I joined BGG I've probably sold or traded maybe three games (Flight Leader, Tokyo Express, Conquest of the Empire) and these were trades I did four or five years ago.

I don't anticipate trading or selling any games in the foreseeable future either - I'm a collector and I freely admit it (and, indeed, revel in it!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Keckley
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Fields of Despair - GMT P500.
mbmbmbmbmb
I traded this copy of
for this copy of
I knew it wasn't equal value. However, it was to a friend who REALLY wanted Titan and I just wanted something I might actually play.

Not Exactly Trades but...
I like to think of my collection of games as the local game library and often loan out games to local gamers. So out of my collection went...

Napoleon's Triumph
Twilight Struggle
PanzerBlitz
Combat Commander: Europe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
I spent 100 Geek Gold and all I got was this lousy overtext message!
mbmbmbmbmb
What wargames did I sell or trade away?

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahaha... And an LOL just to be sure laugh

Good one! For that matter, I probably acquired those that most folks sold shake

Wargames I acquired in 2014
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mochara c
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Ho ho, where to begin?
Everything is negotiable, so my collection seems to be in constant flux.
Roughly estimated, I probably traded or sold 25+ game in 2014.
Gave away four, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Les Marshall
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1805: Sea of Glory-Played the full campaign once. Outcome determined by a single search die roll after over 12 hours of grueling play. Felt the decisions took a back seat to weather/events/search die rolls.

GWAS II-Tactical resolution feels like chrome without interesting decisions.

Successors, 2nd Edition- Got the new edition. Happy to have a little more space.

Whistling Death-Highly detailed lengthy tactical combat system just isn't likely to see much table time.

Warhammer Fantasy Battles-Sold three armies this year ending my involvement with this marketing monstrosity. Good riddance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evil Bob
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I sold my copy of;

after giving it 10 plays for my 10x10. By the end of it, I came to the conclusion that this just wasn't my kind of game.

My son and I acquired this game and played it a few times. In the end he just wasn't interested and it was simply taking up space on the shelf. I found a good home for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martyn Smith
England
Bourne
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
"We don't see things as they are, but as we are." Anais Nin
mbmbmbmbmb
moujamou wrote:
Because you can have too much.

Traded or sold these wargames:

These went in chain threads:

And while I'm at it, these non-wargames were released back into their natural habitat:

I think that is all.
I hope that in 2015 I can remove approximately 45 items from my 'owned' list.

Sigh. I wish I'd liaised with you so that I could've had a shout on a couple of these games!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United Kingdom
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
thechangingman wrote:

Sigh. I wish I'd liaised with you so that I could've had a shout on a couple of these games!!

There's always 2015..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Dickerson
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice topic idea....

I only returned to the hobby this year after a 30+-year hiatus. Upon unpacking those slightly musty boxes, I immediately recognized that I had some titles I would never play again, either because of time or lack of interest. And I had a list of games to either re-acquire, or to get to update my collection.

PanzerBlitz: I still remembered watching a beat-up old copy of this, in classic bookcase-sleeve style, languishing away in some basement corner of a department store until I could save up enough cash to finally buy it. But it just wasn't for me: I don't remember even playing it much, and other armor systems seemed to date it pretty badly. So, out it went.

UpScope! Not that bad a submarine game, but seemingly limited by its scenarios. And then, long ago, there was the one unsolved rules argument that couldn't be solved between me and a "rules lawyer" friend; after that set-to, we couldn't bring ourselves to play it again.

TaskForce: Also not that bad a game... but it couldn't recover from having a flight of bombed up MiG-21s getting through the entire screen and sinking a Nimitz-class carrier.

Patrol!: An old high school buddy would beat me like a timbale in this every time we played. Don't think I ever managed to set up a successful Opportunity Fire plot. And once, when I had a tank at my disposal, I threw all my foot soldiers onto the back of it to ride into battle.... my friend added a rifle grenade to the mix. *Sigh* Too many bad memories...

Battle for Cassino: an exercise in utter frustration. Impassable terrain, and more of the counter set is used for marking rubble than combat forces. Ewwww.

Dreadnought: A somewhat enjoyable game back in the day... but since WWII didn't feature that much naval combat involving battlewagon fleets, it was more of a what-if, and pretty much a die-roller at that.

Descent on Crete: a follow-up to Highway to the Reich, this one just fell into the category of "When the hell do you *ever* see yourself playing this??" Actually, HWTTR fits in that category, but I just... can't... seem... to ... pull the trigger on that one.

Thirty Years War Quad: this one I played to death in the late '70s!!! Great fun. But now, in this century, I'm collecting the Musket & Pike series of games, making this beer & pretzel title expendable. This was the hardest of the lot to box up and ship out...

Raid! Another sub-par S&T title, and one of the first I got when I subscribed. Just didn't like anything about this one.

And, just going to the post office today...

The Creature That Ate Sheboygan: a joke novelty game that I can't remember *why* I bought it. Must have watched too much Ultra Man as a young boy...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Every Man a (K-State) Wildcat!
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll restrict this to wargames:

Unhappy King Charles! - I don't talk about why I traded it away. I just wanted to move it. It's the highest rated game (9) I ever parted with, though, and highly recommend it to others.

Lock 'n Load: Band of Heroes, Lock 'n Load: Forgotten Heroes – Vietnam, Squad Leader,
Ranger, & Advanced Tobruk System Basic Game 1a: Screaming Eagles: Like Sean, these were all victims of the Band of Brothers phenomenon. No need to keep these when BoB does the squad level cleaner, more realistic, and with less rules. Others don't feel the same way, and it's good that there are so many different systems for so many different folks.

Boots on the Ground: Worthington Games is my favorite publisher and in my book, they rarely offer up a stinker, but this was one of them. The concept was interesting. The possibilities (solitaire through 3 players) was intriguing, but the game system was so simplified, the action bordered on the absurd.

Bastogne: Screaming Eagles under Siege: I have plenty of Bulge games and I decided I really wasn't up for taking on a new system (SCS).

Gettysburg: Badges of Courage: This had the best command system of any of Columbia's games, including Eastfront, which is saying something in my book. However, it had very fiddly rules for hexside limits for firing and assaulting. I think it was a design-for-effect thing, and I grew weary of fighting with it. Gettysburg 150 (Worthington) was my simple Gettysburg game of choice, so this became dead weight with trade value.

Gettysburg (125th Anniversary edition): Good game, but Gettysburg 150 was better. No need to keep them both around.

Mosby's Raiders: Good design, but after one game, I was pretty much through with it.

City of Confusion: The Battle for Hue, Tet 1968: Too much shooting and not much hitting. Assaults were too luck driven. Not what I was hoping for, but it did have a lot of good ideas.

Drive on Washington: The Battle of Monocacy Junction, July 9, 1864: Not ready to take on a new system (GBACW).

Car Wars and supplements & expansions: I bought it all without playing it when I was 14. It wasn't the ground based Star Fleet Battles game I was hoping it would be.

Federation & Empire: I played the monster back in 1988. Never played it since. Never gonna play it. If I want that level of strategy in that universe, I'll play Federation Space.

Babylon 5 Wars: It looked like Star Fleet Battles in the B5 world. I love B5 but never got around to playing it. Then I realized: I'm kind of done with SFB. I haven't played it in 10 years.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Sutton
Australia
Moruya
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I traded a few and sold a few. Can't remember all of them but here are some

I collected all but one of the Campaigns of Napoleon System: 1x Series because I had become obsessed by playing it.

When I finally sat down I was a bit underwhelmed and found it too fiddly (I know I should have just got one to dip my toe in but, well...you know. I just got the whole series...)

So, out went Napoleon at Bay: The Campaign in France, 1814, The Sun of Austerlitz and a couple of others.

I traded Air Assault On Crete/Invasion of Malta: 1942 after one play. Just did not think it would ever get played again.

I bought Nations at War: White Star Rising because I got the idea it would be a newer, better version of Panzer Leader. It wasn't so it went as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Moles
United States
Idaho Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The War: Europe 1939-1945 - I wanted to like this one, and for the most part I did. But the rule book was easy to read, but not great for reference. I felt as if I spent more time looking up and re-reading blocks of text trying to find a rule than actually playing. Playing Unconditional Surrender! World War 2 in Europe and am much happier for similar play time and scale

The Legend Begins - Seemed like a great game, but I came to the realization that WW2 operational with emphasis on supply and logistics is just not my thing

Blocks in the West and Yom Kippur- Just fell flat for me, I can't point to anything specific, other than I set them up, played a few turns solo, and had no desire to continue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fook Ken Oath
Australia
ACT
flag msg tools
I was just checking my marketplace when I ran by this thread. It was an interesting process to go through and catalogue all the games I got rid of this year. I'd forgotten most of them.

Over the past few years I've tried to cull my collection (down from several hundred or so). This is partly due to family, but mostly due to work commitments. After my initial indoctrination into wargaming/boardgaming around 2006/07, I went nuts and, like many completely over indulged without any tact or purpose. It was a pretty slippery slope...

As much as I enjoy the idea of wargaming, it is an activity that I fear is probably more suited to a retired gentleman's lifestyle. I just couldn't continue to justify to myself why I should hold on to these games. There was never any time to set up some of these behemoths, let alone find any one willing to sit down for hours upon hours to play them. I can't stand VASSAL and computers in general, so I'm not going to enjoy them that way. Then there was the sheer brainwork required to firstly understand the rules, then to teach them to someone (who is often only half interested!!)…it's just not going to happen considering the tempo of my life at the moment. I realistically have another 20 years of work before I can even contemplate retirement, and I'm not going to lug these boxes of cardboard around every time my bosses decide I should move. So out they go..

To be honest I kind of got sick of the sight of all these unplayed games in my garage, even though I knew that some of them were 'classics'.

The following games were sold via ebay or BGG marketplace this year (sorry to all the regular posters here...there are a lot of images but I couldn't figure out how to place the images side by side). Many of them I played once or twice solitaire or on rare occasions face to face. Some games - such as Squad Leader, or the Triumph & Glory games - were difficult to part with at the time…but once they were out the door…they were forgotten. I have absolutely no regrets about any of the games I've sold off over the years. In fact, I was probably more anxious with my life full of unplayed objects sitting on my shelves taunting me...

Also sold off Battlestar Galactica, HeroQuest (plus expansions), Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective, Nexus Ops (1st ed), Speed Circuit, Acquire (3M), Fuedal(3M)…and a bunch of others not worth mentioning.

Hate to say it, but I did have to throw out a few boxes of incomplete wargames & other shelf toads. Why would anyone want a beaten up box half full of Kasserine Pass?

It sure was a hassle to box and ship these games off, and I'd recommend selling at conventions if you want to offload games quickly & easily (I did two major sell-offs in 2010/11 at conventions and it was tops!).

I still have a bunch of games up for sale on the marketplace, which I check daily.

What have I kept? My Command & Colours Ancients collection, War at Sea, my Advanced Tobruk collection, B-17 Queen of the Skies, Conflict of Heroes collection…my flames of war & Bolt action miniatures…nothing is that important however, and I'll probably try to offload more in 2015 before we move again.

Edit: Moved piccys. Thanks for the tip DaveM. cheers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David M
United States
Huron
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KenOath wrote:
...snip... (sorry to all the regular posters here...there are a lot of images but I couldn't figure out how to place the images side by side).

I wondered about that too, but it's easy once you know the trick. All you have to do is put the word "inline" right after the geek image number when you fill in the geek image link box.

You can also manually enter the word in the brackets once you've posted. When done, it should look like this (I removed the first bracket so the text would show):

ImageID=12345inline]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt & Laurel
United Kingdom
Harrogate
flag msg tools
mb
I sold quite a few non-wargames this year, but the only wargame to go was:

I thought Navajo Wars was a really good idea and the graphic design was excellent. However, as a game it left myself and my wife cold. I don't really know why, but after two plays we both had no desire to play again.

Generally I keep any game that I've enjoyed playing and would want to play again (even if it takes a few years to get it back on the table). I've been pretty lucky with my wargame purchases/trades and have only parted with 15 games and expansions in the last 6 years. Very few of the games I've sold or traded have been awful; just ones that didn't have enough going for them to justify them taking up valuable shelf space.

A handful of wargames are on my review list for 2015 (i.e. I may sell them). They include:

Crown of Roses - This game had a lot of potential, but takes far too much time to play and (at least to me) doesn't really have the feel of the political manoeuvring of the period.

Combat Commander: Europe - I don't have a great love of tactical level or WWII games, so Combat Commander was always going to have a hill to climb. My wife quite liked the game, but I found it to be slow and unengaging. However, I recently read an article in a miniatures wargaming magazine that I think may allow me to give it a new lease of life. We'll see.

No Retreat! The Russian Front - It's actually a good game, but despite trying I can't seem to generate any great enthusiasm for playing WWII Eastern Front games. Which leads me to my final candidate:

Stalin's War - I haven't yet played it, despite owning it for four and a half years. Whenever I go to pick an unplayed wargame off the shelf, I can never bring myself to try this one. I think it may be partly down to the bad press that the game received in some quarters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fredrik Norr Dax
Sweden
Norsborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Well, it's listed as a wargame here, so I guess it counts:
Battlemist

For the very simple reason that I did not find it very fun to play. It had some interesting concepts, but the pieces just did not fit together (that is the different parts of the rules, not the board pieces which did fit together well enough). The game had several different parts, but there was very little interaction between them (heroes could go out on quests, which would get you closer to victory, you could build armies that in turn would fight the other players and as a result, you might also get closer to victory this way, but heroes & armies were pretty much two separate games sharing the same victory condition & gameboard, and neither of those were all that fun on their own).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.