Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean Davis
United States
Craig
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, here's the disclaimer: I haven't lit any of my miniatures, as of present. However, as big as it is, and with that translucent green lining, this thing is just begging for some lights.

I've studied the model, and watched Teri's video in which she pried the cube open. With that information, plus modelling experience, I'm confident in my ability to open the cube up and put it back together again.

What I'm looking at is lighting methods, and there I'm out of my depth. I don't think a single light will do the trick, a la the tea lights that have effectively lit a few Tac Cubes and Spheres around the net. What I'm thinking is a small strand of battery operated, LED Christmas lights. I have some laying around that I've never used anyway, so why not apply them to something more fun than lighting up a tree for a month?

For those who have experience, are there any hazards in question I should consider? Are the bulbs likely to get too hot and cause damage to the model?

From a mechanical standpoint, my thought is to kinda put the light strand in as a bit of a ball, presenting randomly placed light sources throughout the ship. I'll cut a small hole in the face of the cube where I'll mount the battery pack and power switch so it can be turned on from outside of the cube.

I'd also appreciate any suggestions regarding reattachment of the cube's face after installing the lights, in order to permit access to the battery pack. I'm thinking of using the existing posts along the corners, doing a little drilling, and run a screw into each corner to keep the face nice and snug, while not having to reglue it, but maybe there's a better way? Naturally, I think all of this work will be on the bottom face.

Thoughts and suggestions are welcome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Lin
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Keeping in mind that I don't yet have Cube 112 myself;

All lighting sources will produce some sort of heat; LED lights are advantageous in that they produce much less heat than their equivalently sized alternatives. That said, I would not ever want to have any sort of lighting in there that will be on for prolonged periods of time sitting against the plastic, no matter what the light was.

Second, your lighting options are greatly expanded for the oversized cube just because it's so much bigger than anything else. That, however, also creates the problem that you are probably not going to find a single lighting solution that is going to give you good even lighting throughout without being either too dim or too bright. On the plus side, you probably do not need to worry about lighting so you don't need to worry about omnidirectional lighting and try a cluster of strategically placed LEDs, and your christmas lights could probably get away with providing the lighting you need. If you're going that route, I would probably build some sort of system to mount the lights to along the interior just because getting them too close the edges might might cause the light to come through too brightly through the green interior plastic.

As for how to reattach the cube panel; I was contemplating using some sort of magnetic attachment so that the panel is held in strongly enough as to not move from casual touch but easy enough to pull apart with some force so that I could easily pull it open or shut it. The only concern is how well that would close the seam and how much light bleed through there would be; this would be something I wouldn't be able to assess without having it physically in my hands.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Davis
United States
Craig
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the input.

I really have no intention of leaving the lights on for extended periods, but that's an important consideration in general, especially as the oversized cube is as much a display piece as a gaming miniature.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually picked up some LED strips from Walmart. They are basically a piece of adhesive tape with the wiring and a LED every 1/2 inch or so along it. You cut it to the length that you need, and strip a little bit of the wires at the ends to attach a switch and batteries. I made 4 strips about 5" long each, attached them at the corners. I used a small battery pack that holds 4 AA batteries and Velcro taped that in the center. Then I cut a small hole in the bottom of the cube to attach a small push button on/off switch. I will get some pics and possibly a video for it up after the new year. Have to much going on right now to get to it unfortunately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James McCarney
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmb
I've lit my tact cube already and currently working on sphere that is more problematic. do too size constraints.

I tried first a tea light, then a pulsing tea light that i rewired to produce extra lumins but was not satisfied.

I was able to find cheap 3 buck led flashlights with green LED's at Winners here in Canada. its a single LED Diode (green) using 3 small standard laser pointer batteries, even turns off itself after an hour.
this i have sticky tacked in the middle upright for nice even glow.

theres plenty of LED options online as well

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/120-Battery-Operated-Balloon-...

comes in many colors.

I recomend following through, a lit cube with some light dry brushing on plates and ink painted into the recessed black sections makes the model go from a plastic cube to a terrifying ship for an oppoenent to have to destroy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MICHAEL MA
msg tools
Sutekh418 wrote:
Okay, here's the disclaimer: I haven't lit any of my miniatures, as of present. However, as big as it is, and with that translucent green lining, this thing is just begging for some lights.

I've studied the model, and watched Teri's video in which she pried the cube open. With that information, plus modelling experience, I'm confident in my ability to open the cube up and put it back together again.

W...

I'm sorry could you provide a link to the video where Teri pries it open?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.