Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

This one in particular makes me smile and feel happy just looking at it.
It gives me hope just by looking at it.

Very low fatality rates too ( about 1 to 3 per year crime related deaths)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_British_police_officers...

More U.S. police died in Georgia alone (tho the rate was much higher in Montana and South Dakota).

Houston loses about as many cops as UK and definitely at a higher rate. I think, I shall make a donation again next week. That is a lot of cops families.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom McPhee
Scotland
Glasgow/ Elgin/ Ullapool (Garve)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Our police here have an extremely strong good record on race relations. There has never been a single incident!

Sarcasm aside- those pictures are nice. I frequently meet the police in my job as a criminal mastermind (well,ok, as a psychiatrist who does emergency mental health act assessments), and find them generally speaking to be quite decent folk. There have been exceptions mind you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
If you take out a dozen cities and states with long histories of liberal governance, and high crime/drug use the US is suddenly one of the safest places on earth.

Most Republican state in the US is, according to a ranking I just read, Alabama. I'm sure we could argue over the most Republican, but I don't think it's a hotbed of liberal governance.

Homicide rate per 100,000 in Alabama? 7.2. In the UK (since that's in the subject line, but there are plenty of similar cases, often a bit better)? 1.0.

So, no, wrong again.

(There isn't a single US state that reaches 1.0. Iowa makes it down to 1.4.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tommcphee wrote:
I frequently meet the police in my job as a criminal mastermind (well,ok, as a psychiatrist who does emergency mental health act assessments), and find them generally speaking to be quite decent folk.

100% of all the board game playing policemen I know (OK, both of them) are exactly that.

(I might possibly know more without knowing it. I don't immediately ask people what they do when I meet them in situations such as playing games, not do I volunteer what I do. It comes out when you get to know them better. Rough rule of thumb, all sorts of jobs, though "something in IT" is over-represented.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The issue is one of reciprocated attitude.

If you treat police like the enemy that is how they will behave.

Most cops I know are not bad men (though some of the ones my dad knew were), but (in the UK) they do not like being called (for example) pigs, it winds them up. They do not like being spat at or insulted, not do they like being shot at or threatened.

I have told this story before, and I will tell it again. I have seen what happens when one person treats a constable with respect and courtesy (you are treated with the same) and (in the same confrontation) someone else who decided to act like a twat, and ended up with cunstable.

You get the police you deserve.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:

Most cops I know are not bad men (though some of the ones my dad knew were), but (in the UK) they do not like being called (for example) pigs, it winds them up. They do not like being spat at or insulted, not do they like being shot at or threatened.

I have told this story before, and I will tell it again. I have seen what happens when one person treats a constable with respect and courtesy (you are treated with the same) and (in the same confrontation) someone else who decided to act like a twat, and ended up with cunstable.

It cuts both ways. The police get the citizens they deserve too.

Not too fond of Alabama officers after one was incredibly over the top and rude and aggressive to my friend who was pulled over for doing 10mph over the speed limit (I was a passenger). I was pulled over for doing a 45 in a 35 back in the late 80s and the police officer was very sarcastic and rude. OTH, I was pulled over early 80s for a bad registration and the officer was polite and professional. I felt no animosity towards him personally because he behaved so professionally (and I got the ticket too).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

Not too fond of Alabama officers after one was incredibly over the top and rude and aggressive to my friend who was pulled over for doing 10mph over the speed limit (I was a passenger).
True, but I think it is worth remembering that the idea on "tough on crime" and "zero tolerance" has been around for a while now.

Ultimately if you want "tough on crime" you do not get to pick what crime they are tough on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
maxo-texas wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

Not too fond of Alabama officers after one was incredibly over the top and rude and aggressive to my friend who was pulled over for doing 10mph over the speed limit (I was a passenger).
True, but I think it is worth remembering that the idea on "tough on crime" and "zero tolerance" has been around for a while now.

Ultimately if you want "tough on crime" you do not get to pick what crime they are tough on.

That's why I'm trending towards moving swat teams to the FBI and targeting the police for positive/neutral engagement with the public with less military stylings. Every interaction with the public is a relationship building opportunity for the police.

Because some bad elements are rude to the police, it doesn't give police cause to behave rudely to the entire public. (they are human- I understand-- but they should get more dale carnegie training, regular training, or something to help them dump the negative emotions). And I think they need to move away from the lying is okay position. For example, video recordings of interviews should be retained and provided to the defense).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italian Seismologist
United Kingdom
norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
[The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was not convincing people he didn't exist, but convincing them that he was God.
mbmbmbmbmb
galad2003 wrote:
Meanwhile...in the UK no one gives a fuck. Go drink some tea and eat some crumpets.

I shall, well, crumpets anyway I'm not a tea fan.

Do you yanks have crumpets? They rock.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
maxo-texas wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

That's why I'm trending towards moving swat teams to the FBI and targeting the police for positive/neutral engagement with the public with less military stylings. Every interaction with the public is a relationship building opportunity for the police.

Because some bad elements are rude to the police, it doesn't give police cause to behave rudely to the entire public. (they are human- I understand-- but they should get more dale carnegie training, regular training, or something to help them dump the negative emotions). And I think they need to move away from the lying is okay position. For example, video recordings of interviews should be retained and provided to the defense).
I do not think that your police are rude to the whole public. I think there is an issue with (even) good police officers putting up with (and even tolerating) bad officers. I also think (from what I have seen on RSP) that US police do seem to either have very bad training, or very bad procedures (and yes it is both). I cannot help but wonder if this is due to the fact that (at least in part) much of your law enforcement is just another branch of teh democratic process.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laurence Savage
United Kingdom
Whitwell
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
galad2003 wrote:
Meanwhile...in the UK no one gives a fuck. Go drink some tea and eat some crumpets.

Should I also eat a lime, hang up a portrait of HM and avoid the dentist?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Les Marshall
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
Yawn.

If you take out a dozen cities and states with long histories of liberal governance, and high crime/drug use the US is suddenly one of the safest places on earth.

We have a democrat problem. (Except for the major anomaly that is Alaska)

Sure...Cause the UK has no liberal governance....and never has.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rulesjd wrote:
Cause the UK has no liberal governance....and never has.

Given the multiple possible meanings of the word, it's hard to argue with this without establishing what you mean by the word, although it's definitely not true for at least some of those definitions. Most obviously that the Liberal party was one of the two major parties up to just under a century ago, and it's last hurrah as the main party in power before the first world war laid the foundations for many social policies nowadays regarded as liberal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
Rulesjd wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:
Yawn.

We have a democrat problem. (Except for the major anomaly that is Alaska)

Sure...Cause the UK has no liberal governance....and never has.

Also has no democrats.

I see you've decided to be wrong again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laurence Savage
United Kingdom
Whitwell
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:

Take out the democrat oasis of Birmingham and 2 or 3 surrounding slums and what are you left with? That's right. Koldfoot was correct.

Next.

I'm not a regular on RSP but I can't help noticing that a lot of your arguments seem to involve removing all parts of reality which do not agree with you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harmonica
Netherlands
Tilburg
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
Keep your lovin' brother happy!
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot was not the only nutter from Alaska.

Edit: it might be true, but I have said nothing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laurence Savage
United Kingdom
Whitwell
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:

Alabama is not a violent place, as you portray. Birmingham is a violent place.

I don't think I said any such thing.

You got me interested though so I had a quick skim of the easily available stats and although Birmingham is one of several particularly violent areas it's not looking like removing it suddenly makes things all rosy for AL. Could you link the stats you're using to come to this conclusion (and name the two suburbs you want removing) so I can take a proper look?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ahbugger wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:

Take out the democrat oasis of Birmingham and 2 or 3 surrounding slums and what are you left with? That's right. Koldfoot was correct.

Next.

I'm not a regular on RSP but I can't help noticing that a lot of your arguments seem to involve removing all parts of reality which do not agree with you.

Particularly as he's going to have to find an excuse for every one of the fifty states, all of which are worse than the UK and other comparable countries. (And I didn't even raise that the UK isn't the end of the curve, that would be Singapore, which probably is the safest place going. Has its own drawbacks, but that wasn't the issue raised, which was the ridiculous claim that the US is the safest place going. Yes, of course it's basically safe in the US. Its just that other places - most of the developed world in fact - are safer.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ahbugger wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:

You got me interested though so I had a quick skim of the easily available stats and although Birmingham is one of several particularly violent areas it's not looking like removing it suddenly makes things all rosy for AL. Could you link the stats you're using to come to this conclusion (and name the two suburbs you want removing) so I can take a proper look?

I find that in 2013 Birmingham had 69 homicides in a population of 212,000. Alabama had 347 homicides in a population of 4.83 million. That leaves Alabama minus Birmingham with 278 homicides in a population of 4.62 million, or a rate of 6.0 per 100,000.

Given a comparison with places like the UK at 1.0, no, that's Alabama violent even if you exclude Birmingham. (That's even still above the US average.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laurence Savage
United Kingdom
Whitwell
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dearlove wrote:

Particularly as he's going to have to find an excuse for every one of the fifty states, all of which are worse than the UK and other comparable countries.

I think I starting to get a handle on the debate so allow me to propose the following excuse:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
ahbugger wrote:
Dearlove wrote:

Particularly as he's going to have to find an excuse for every one of the fifty states, all of which are worse than the UK and other comparable countries.

I think I starting to get a handle on the debate so allow me to propose the following excuse:

With a hardo like that, he's got to be blaming the Narn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laurence Savage
United Kingdom
Whitwell
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dearlove wrote:

I find that in 2013 Birmingham had 69 homicides in a population of 212,000. Alabama had 347 homicides in a population of 4.83 million. That leaves Alabama minus Birmingham with 278 homicides in a population of 4.62 million, or a rate of 6.0 per 100,000.

Given a comparison with places like the UK at 1.0, no, that's Alabama violent even if you exclude Birmingham. (That's even still above the US average.)

The homicide rate is certainly staggeringly high but from what I was seeing if you track violent crime in general Birmingham isn't even top of the list for AL. Removing it makes even less difference to the overall violent crime rates. It's still a high crime state in what is (as you point out) already a relatively high crime country.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ahbugger wrote:
Dearlove wrote:

My god, you mean....Obama was not even born on Earth?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laurence Savage
United Kingdom
Whitwell
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
ahbugger wrote:
Dearlove wrote:

My god, you mean....Obama was not even born on Earth?

I don't know.

Therefore yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
Dearlove wrote:
ahbugger wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:

Got you, too, didn't it?

A couple weeks ago me and most of the rest of RSP would have taken the bait.

I asked a question in another thread about the Staten Island police killing of the guy selling cigarettes. It was determined that "homicide" does not mean "murder" nor even that a "crime" took place.

I did not know that. I do not fault you for not knowing that. "Homicide" apparently does not mean what we think it means. "Homicide" simply means that a person died and that death was caused by another person. A doctor commits homicide if a patient dies in surgery and it was known beforehand that there was a high risk of death associated with the procedure. No crime was committed, but a homicide occurred.

Find some new statistics.
No, I think what was pointed out is what the medical profession calls homicide is not the same as what the police or courts call homicide.

But lets run with this definition, it still means that more people are killed by other people in teh USA than in the UK. Thus it is either more violent, or your much vaunted doctors are more incompetent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.