Faray
United States
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all!
I'm hoping we are missing something here, because if not this one seems unbeatable without getting extremely lucky.

First none of the decks have any henchmen in them so in order to close the non-villain decks you must go through every card.

Second since the villains are always undefeated unless the others are in the deck, you can't close those locations by finding them. In addition you will always lose blessings from the timer, and if you find them early you could lose 6 blessings! (Though you should only really lose 2-3) These get added to the deck which is another card to explore.

You need all 3 villains in a deck, so if two are in a deck and you find one in there, you may end up having him move to another deck. The worst part is you don't know WHERE the villain ended up so you don't know if they were in there. The best you know is 1 is left, but you can't tell if the one hoped into there.
The villain can stay in the deck you are currently in. If they keep staying in there not only is it draining your blessings, but it’s adding cards to other decks you will want to clear, and not helping you at all.

I like a challenge and I don’t mind the game being harder than the previous one, but I see no real control in this scenario and it just feels like you need to get lucky. You can’t control where the villain goes. Even if you close locations, your location will always be open, so best case there is a 50/50 shot you get one where you need to go. If it goes to the wrong place, and you find one in the deck you’re trying to work out… well you get the picture.

Are we missing something? Is there any tips you can offer? Did anyone beat this scenario and have suggestions? Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Broggi
United States
Southwick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the FAQ on the Paizo website, they corrected it.

"Resolution: On the scenario Bizarre Love Triangle, replace the During this Scenario text with the following:

If a villain cannot escape to an open location, shuffle the villain into a random location, opening it.

To win the scenario, defeat any villain while the other two villains are in the same location deck."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ahearne
United States
Ayer
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Notice the FAQ resolution says nothing about the villain being undefeated. You DO defeat the villain if you pass the check to defeat, you just don't win unless the other two villains are in the same deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Williams
United Kingdom
St Just
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played this 'by the card' and did found it impossible - I was so relieved when I checked Paizo's site and saw the wording change.

This the second scenario of this Skull and Shackles that has a seemingly impossible scenario based on the scenario wording (the other one being the one where your hand size seemed like it had to increase to the point of killing you (I now can't rememeber the details, but it was something like it went up by the number of defeated banes, potentially requiring you to draw your whole deck))

These seem like worse wording errors than any I encountered in Rise of the Runelords.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Both are also examples of them trying to do more unique things, so I am sure that is part of it too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Williams
United Kingdom
St Just
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
269Hawkmoon wrote:
Both are also examples of them trying to do more unique things, so I am sure that is part of it too.

Very true, most of the scenarios were much more straightforward to explain for Rise of the Runelords.

I'm reluctant to read up about scenarios before we do them, but I'm beginning to feel like I'll have to start checking the FAQ before I play each and every scenario, as it's much more frustrating to play a scenario and fail due to a wording issue than it is to play and fail due to bad play/luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.