Popular Tags: [View All]
Houserule Jay
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules state you must move the top car on the card first, then the next one down and so on until you move the bottom car on the card last.

Wouldn't it add more strategy to move them in any order you like? Has anyone tried yet?

Also, are you allowed to move a car into a position where it can be blocked and not finish its full movement?

The rules seem to say that a car has to move its full movement if it is able which isn't to say you can't hinder it, ergo it is not clear in this sense.

Has anyone tried to spice this up a bit with some variants? I was hoping for a little more strategy and I might try to create a variant.

Thanks in advance for any replies. J

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, I disagree. Choosing the order you would choose to move the cars in would result in the removal of the tough choices. You would move your cars first, then use the others to block out as many of the other players cars as you could.

point 2, yes, you can move cars to create blocks for others. You cannot move a car into a blocked position if another unblocked position exists.

There may be more strategy than you first may see. And the aucton is very important as well. Great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stven Carlberg
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
While moving the cars in any order might hypothetically "add more strategy," it would certainly add way too much time to the decision-making, and anyway there is strategy there already in abundance merely in choosing which card to play.

If there's any way for a car to get all its movement points, *once it is time for that car to move,* it has to get them all. Sometimes you can achieve a very pretty block by moving the top car or two into a side-by-side position just in front of a later car on the card. More often, you will simply create blocked positions which you can hope the player following you will take advantage of by getting rid of a good card for a common opponent.

We have tried some variants (particularly in an attempt to let more than four players into the game), but we keep coming back to the game as written because it is just so darned good. The published variations on the system -- Top Race, Detroit/Cleveland Grand Prix, etc., with magical cards, choke points instead of the big curves with the passing lane -- also disappointed us since we so thoroughly enjoy the more subtle challenges of the straightforward racing in Daytona 500.

Stick with it -- a very tasty range of strategy will emerge as your familiarity grows.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ramon Zarate
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mb
I do think theres WAY more strategy playing the cars in the order of the card... and I played choosing my own order for many many years.

You CAN move cars to blocked positions as long as those positions are within maximum movement allowance on the card.

I've been able to prevent oponents stealing an almost sure first place by taking all this consideration into account... great game indeed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A gem of a game and one still easily obtainable at a reasonable cost.

Quote:
Wouldn't it add more strategy to move them in any order you like?

I think this would defeat the designrt's intent which was to move the faster cars first. If you can move the slow cars first you would just end up choking the track. One of the main ideas of the game is that even a car in last place can come out ahead by playing a fast card. Choosing play order would just add more randomness not more strategy.

Quote:
Also, are you allowed to move a car into a position where it can be blocked and not finish its full movement?

Yes, you can move a car in a legal fashion to a point where it can move no further.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Sarnia
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jayjohnbeach wrote:

Robrob wrote:
Yes, you can move a car in a legal fashion to a point where it can move no further.

Legal is the key there. If there is a way to move a car its full amount, it has to move to its full amount. Just to be clear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After playing just once, I had a hard time deciding what a car was worth - we all did. As a result, the auctions were uninteresting - all the cars went for $30k or less, and noone really cared to have the same car as another player that bad.

The gameplay was pretty cool though, I liked it. If you're looking for something more strategic, maybe try this:

Play the cars in order, but allow the cars owner to move the car.

This would result in less silly/athematic "I'll drive the blue car up behind the red car, but rather than draft, I'll go caddy corner to it" types of plays, and would allow for more drafting, which is a cool mechanic.

- Seth

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.