Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Russell Lee
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We have played this game about a half dozen times, and we have *never* won.

We are now at the point where we can beat the level one and level two enemies consistently and decisively.

However, when the level three enemy comes out (no matter who), we have never lasted more than two rounds. As someone else said, it's like drawing a card that says "you lose".

I have seen many reviews saying this game is fun (it is) and hard (it is).

But has anyone ever actually won a full game of all three levels? I know the author doesn't want any strategies given away, but I would love to read a session report of how anyone ever beat a level three enemy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Pirard
Belgium
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Didn't win yet. Only had 2 games and cleared level one.

But I hope to accomplish a win next year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Martin
United States
Lacey
WA
flag msg tools
Check out my Hollenguard book series on Amazon!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope. 0 for 4 so far. If I see the Tentacle Monster again, I believe I'll have a good shot at it, knowing what I know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Schneider
Germany
Stockstadt
flag msg tools
badge
No, never managed that yet.
Damn Zombies! And ... basically most of the other monsters, too. We survive the first two fights usually, if not encountering zombies, but never managed to beat the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vasilis
Greece
Heraklion Crete
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We have managed to win this game one and only one time, no zombies in sight of course. It is tough but enjoyable. Those zombies though... not so much. I'm guessing they should do something about those damn zombies, either say that they are somehow balanced and let us try to find why everyone keeps losing to them or fix them in the upcoming expansion, because right now drawing Zombies as an encounter is almost an automatic game over.

We managed to beat the Zombies one time but we removed the relevant AI cards each time a Hero died which gave us a breather during the combat rounds, which as of today was officially clarified as a mistake on our part. So back to square one with the zombies. zombie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Aceto
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After my first play, I decided to remove the zombies from the deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shortt
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We beat the Zombies by only drawing 2 AI cards instead of 3 and just scraped out a win with only one of us alive. Than died on the second encounter. The Zombies are overpowered I feel. You have to have the right characters in play, I am not impressed with this game and feel that it should of been playtested more.

It was an expensive lesson for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian M.
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope. Consistently able to get to stage 3 but honestly I'd rather lose. If I was able to solve the puzzle already I'd be disappointed. I'm an adult, I like games that don't hand hold. I am getting better with each attempt and (I think) that says a lot about how one can strategize and plan for mitigating the luck factor of the dice. This game is a breath of fresh air, nothing quite like it. Very excited for the expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Carr
United States
Ruckersville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
0 for 6, and 3 of 6 are losses in the first encounter...

Best part is that all those losses I can chalk up to 'tactical error' or optimization error. The better I know the game, the better it plays.

Zombies for 2 player is completely doable... the ever spawning dice stealing zombies at 3p+ get to be too much. the dice stealing can 'lock you into a loss/spiral of defeat with no return a bit too easily. I think they can be tweaked (minor) to arrive at a better balance, but they are not too far off of balance in my opinion. A nice challenge.

But that is why I like the game, it is an incredible challenge. Enjoying it far more the LoTR LCG. which also can be a crazy challenge/luck of the draw to succeed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vasilis
Greece
Heraklion Crete
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wlfgmr3 wrote:
Nope. Consistently able to get to stage 3 but honestly I'd rather lose. If I was able to solve the puzzle already I'd be disappointed. I'm an adult, I like games that don't hand hold. I am getting better with each attempt and (I think) that says a lot about how one can strategize and plan for mitigating the luck factor of the dice. This game is a breath of fresh air, nothing quite like it. Very excited for the expansion.

I agree. The challenge is very welcome. My only gripe is with the disparity in power level of the zombies compared to other Level 1 encounters.
I have absolutely no problem to lose to the big boss and try to win against impossible odds, that's a real boss fight, but losing to a mere Level 1 encounter which just throws at you one overpowered effect after the other without seeing any way to win is not enjoyable, it is frustrating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King Maple
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, players have won this game. There's even a thread for victories at: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1263960/which-encounters-ha...

As for zombies, they are not hard at all. Anyone saying so must be trying the same strategy over and over again. Assault on Doomrock is a game where you need to adjust your tactics based on encounter.

My group has never lost against the zombies, in fact we prefer zombies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King Maple
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bowmangr wrote:
Wlfgmr3 wrote:

I agree. The challenge is very welcome. My only gripe is with the disparity in power level of the zombies compared to other Level 1 encounters.
I have absolutely no problem to lose to the big boss and try to win against impossible odds, that's a real boss fight, but losing to a mere Level 1 encounter which just throws at you one overpowered effect after the other without seeing any way to win is not enjoyable, it is frustrating.

Untrue, statistics show that zombies are the most defeated level 1 encounter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vasilis
Greece
Heraklion Crete
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Slashdoctor wrote:
Yes, players have won this game. There's even a thread for victories at: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1263960/which-encounters-ha...

As for zombies, they are not hard at all. Anyone saying so must be trying the same strategy over and over again. Assault on Doomrock is a game where you need to adjust your tactics based on encounter.

My group has never lost against the zombies, in fact we prefer zombies.

Interesting stats. The Beasts of Doom is the only encounter in the whole game that we have NEVER lost, like ever. So you see, I find it hard to believe that it is actually tougher than zombies...
It is hopeful nonetheless that there are people out there who find zombies easy though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Pirard
Belgium
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, to answer the question. I did, today.

I always take my characters and traits randomly.
I had the Ridiculously armored Warrior and an Erratic Paladin.

I was lucky enough to level both of my characters before the first encounter. The warrior got the "ghostly strike" and the paladin got the "holy shield aura".
Then the zombies came, but I survived.

Then I got the "Giant Axe of Impossible Slaughter" for my warrior and the "Magic Carpet" and the "Rogue's Armor of Doom" for my paladin.
Also leveled again to get Bloodlust for the warrior and Crippling poison for the paladin.

The Wraith of Doom was defeated.

We got the "Whoosh" ability and the "Lay on hands" at the mercenary camp for 8 silver.(Cheaper than leveling at this point).

The Tentacle monster was the "Big Chief".
It was defeated by ripping of enough tentacles.

The paladin died and the warrior survived with one life point remaining.

To be honest, the dice rolls were in my favor. Only 7 dice in the whole game were not used, not able to put on the right card.
And of course, the right equipment with the right character.

Now you guys know it can be done, and I will try to do it again.

So far my little "review".

Cheers
Jo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jari Ahonen
Finland
Hyvinkää
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played 7 times and the encounter distribution has been something like this:

Encounter 1:
Beasts / Tomatoes / Zombies : 3 / 2 / 2

Encounter 2:
Goblin Shaman / Reapers / Wraiths: 2 / 4 / 1

Encounter 3:
Dragon / Tentacle Monster / Hyrocrax: 0 / 4 / 1

These were mostly with 2 players. One session was with 3 players (Beasts-Wraiths-Hyrocrax). There have been a few close ones with one hero left with just a few HPs, but the only encounter that actually beat us was the goblin shaman's party, and it did really obliterate us both times. Having looked at the Dragon's AI cards, I have a feeling that one would have a high probability of stomping us too, at least on paper.

The game is definitely challenging, but we haven't found any reason to tone down the difficulty, unless we want to have a relaxing game - in which case we usually play something else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Aceto
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Forget my comment about the zombies above. I was mistakenly activating all 12 of them in a 2-player game. Should be just 6.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.