Popular Tags: recommendations [+] wargames [+] WWII [+] [View All]
Ron Dokter
Netherlands
Rotterdam
ZH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello everybody,

A couple of years ago (I think about 15 years now)I bought Axis & Allies. For me this is a great game, but now I want something else.

So I searched the internet for some wargames and I found this nice website.

And there is the problem, I think there are a billion wargames out there surprise

I love to play games, mostly family stuff, but my favorites are wargames.

So my question is: Which wargame (WWII) is best to start with?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matteo Badinelli
Italy
Lonato
Brescia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You should narrow a bit the range, there is a ton of WW2 wargames.

If you are looking for a family game probably the best choice is Memoir 44.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MS-06 Zaku II
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Or the coming one Tide of Iron

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikael Ölmestig
Sweden
Halmstad
Halland
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Or if you want a multiplayer, World in war: combined arms.

Do you want something meatier, maybe Europe engulfed or Eastfront II (those are two-player games).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gotthard Heinrici (prev. Graf Strachwitz)
Germany
Düsseldorf
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So you like A&A, you like wargames, you like WW II, you like to step up from A&A.

With this assumption I can recommend the following (WWII) games:

Blocks:
-Rommel in the Dessert
-EastFront II

Hex & Counter:
-Bitter woods
-The Russian Campaign

Area & Counter
-Breakout Normandy
-Monty's Gamble

Hex & Miniature
-Tide of Iron looks promissing

Other wargames that might suit you:
-Hammer of the Scots
-Command & Colors: Ancients
-Wilderniss War

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Dokter
Netherlands
Rotterdam
ZH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the quick reply guys!!!!

Okay, I'll try to narrow it down a bit:

I doesn't need to be a family game, I play these wargames with a friend mostly.

I understand the rules quickly, most of the time anyway, so complexity is no problem. But maybe this is not the "way" to start to become a expert player

I like the European theater a lot: The Bulge, Normandy, Overlord, Russian Campaign ....

Maybe this can help, otherwise ask me what kind of information you need.

Thnxs

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfgang Kunz
Germany
Netphen
flag msg tools
badge
I'm German. That's what we do...
mbmbmbmbmb
DutchViper wrote:
Thanks for the quick reply guys!!!!

I like the European theater a lot: The Bulge, Normandy, Overlord, Russian Campaign ....

Then I would agree with above. Go for L2 Design "Deluxe Bitter Woods" - the Bulge. Great looking game, 12 pages of rules, some optional rules and setups. And you can get it for nearly half the normal price from Delayed Reaction Games in Germany. They are sometimes a bit slow - therefore the name? but the deal is good.

If you like it you can continue thru the games L2 made or look at the GMT / MMP / whatever webside to find out about other great games. CDG (Card Driven Games) maybe?

One thing I should note by ordering wargames from Germany: If the game contains Nazi symbols (SS-runes, Swastika) they will be blackened!!! - as it happens with my copy from DRG. But nothing that a good customer service from a US-company can't fix if it is important for you.

The Alphawolf

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Dokter
Netherlands
Rotterdam
ZH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thnks Wolfgang.

Russia Besieged and The Russian Campaign 4th Ed. are also from L2. But what is the main difference. Are they different in complexity or is the game play different?

I'm tninking of "Deluxe Bitter Woods - The Bulge" and "Breakout: Normandy".

After that: "Europe Engulfed", "DAK2", "A World at War" (sometime next year)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Düsseldorf
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Diiference between TRC and BW is that TRC is Strategic (whole Eastern front), and BW is operational (only a smaller part of the Western Front). Due to the scope, the latter is a bit more accesible. The first broader in scope and has excellent replayability.

If you like Western Front, I would go with deluxe Bitter Woods to see if you like Hex & Counter.

Europe Engulfed is also a good suggestion but make sure you have the space and time so you can leave it a couple of days.

Don't get over excited: I would forget about DAK 2 for the moment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I would second Memoir '44 - and not because of the "family" theme. It is a quick two player tactical game. Set-up is realtively easy (compared to Axis & Allies for sure!) and games can be played in an hour. You can also expand the game and pick up Eastern Front to get some Russian campaigns.

To me, this seems like the natural gateway game from A&A into heavier stuff. Great board, plastic minis in approximately the same scale. As a long time A&A fan, I passed by Mem 44 for a long time. I thought it looked too simple and couldn't compete against A&A. I was wrong. I picked up the game because I was looking at its Civil War counterpart, Battle Cry that is now out of production. I was sorry I had passed it up for a year or two. Memoir quickly became one of my favorite games. Since I got it, I haven't touched an A&A game since.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Dokter
Netherlands
Rotterdam
ZH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So the one is on a larger scale (Strategic) than the other (Operational), or are there just more units involved and a larger map?

I think I'll start with Delux Bitter Woods.

But where can I find this game, which store (Holland, Belgium, Germany)?

Or ordering via internet? Who has ordered these games via internet and what is his experience with it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer Garbanzo
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since you're Dutch, you may want to consider one of the Battle of Arnhem/Operation Market Garden themed games. I can't say that I've played any of them, but many of them come recommended on the site:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/4416

I love A Bridge Too Far (both the book and the movie), and my Oma is from Arnhem, but I don't have enough friends who are into wargames enough to justify buying one. If you get one, let me know and I'll look you up next time I'm in The Netherlands .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren M
Canada
Fort Vermilion
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mb
There is a good search tool here on BGG where you can narrow down to just the games you are looking for:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/search.php3?title=&designerid=&...

Some of the best WWII games often mentioned are:

Europe Engulfed - heavy 12+ hour games

EastFront - block game

Rommel In The Desert - block game

Breakout: Normandy

Advanced Squad Leader (ASL) Starter Kit #1 and #2 - lighter intro versions to the VERY heavy full ASL system.

World War II: Barbarossa to Berlin

I'd read some reviews of the games you are interested in and read the comments on some geeklists such as the following:

Chris' Introductory Wargame List
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/1196

Wargames: Less is More
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/9486

Celebrating Wargames (a look at what the three Main Genres - Blocks, CDGs and Hex and Counters - can offer)
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/13739

Most of the games listed are quite a step up from A&A so some reserach to find out just the level of complexity you want to get would be prudent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Dokter
Netherlands
Rotterdam
ZH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thnks Brian.

I loved A&A, still do, but as I mentioned it's time for something else. You're right about setting up A&A, it's almost a game in itself

1. Deluxe Bitter Woods
2. Memoir '44

This will get me of the streets for a couple of days, uhh weeks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Dokter
Netherlands
Rotterdam
ZH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thnks Spencer,

Yes, I want to play those games to, that's for certain.

I'm living in Rotterdam and there are still buildings with bullit holes from WWII. That give me sometime's a strange feeling. I've been in Arnhem some years ago, just to see the bridge.

I'll get one (not this year) and you're always welcome to visit. Then we play some games!!

Give my regards to your Oma.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Düsseldorf
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

For ordering deluxe bitter woods, go directly to the L2 site.

Beter: go to Essen, Germany end of Oktober for the biggest game exhibition in the world. There you will find all what your gamers heart would have ever wanted and I am sure you can pick up a copy of deluxe bitter woods and muany more games!

If you order on the L2 site, you can order the expansion for deluxe bitter woods(some extra counters and scenario's) and they will ship it for free.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Dokter
Netherlands
Rotterdam
ZH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thnks Harro,

I think I'll go to Essen, then I can take the game with me

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Bohrer
United States
Hereford
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I do envy you that you can just drive to where it happened.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jérôme
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Harae wrote:

go to Essen, Germany end of Oktober for the biggest game exhibition in the world. There you will find all what your gamers heart would have ever wanted and I am sure you can pick up a copy of deluxe bitter woods and muany more games!

Considering to go (one-hour-drive hehehe), but you think plenty wargames will be offered in Essen?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Dokter
Netherlands
Rotterdam
ZH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll let you all know when I played my first game of Bitter Woods. I'll make a review

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Nesbitt
Canada
Ajax
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Europe Engulfed is great. And it is not "heavy" either. Rather a somewhat-simple game on a large scale (not unlike A&A in that regard).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Heaton
United States
Springfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the problems that non-US wargamers have that most of the board wargames are produced in the States. The following geeklists contain games that avoid this problem (mostly) by being available over the Internet. Search Geeklists for: "Free Wargames" and "The Canonical List of Free Print-and-Play Games". These lists will lead you to many good games (and a lot of crap). Amongst the good games is Target Arnhem - Across 6 Bridges.

One of the best campaign games for the Pacific front is Victory in the Pacific, the old Avalon Hill game. While out of print, you should be able to find it on ebay or in the BGG Marketplace. The game is very simple, but does a decent job of capturing the strategic elements of the war.

Memoir '44 is a battle game, in that you are fighting a battle, and not even a large one. For example, The Battle of the Bulge would have to be divided up into many smaller battles to be fought in this system. The level of abstraction is about the same as Axis and Allies Miniatures, and that is why the game is considered by many to not be a wargame at all. It is fun to play, but I'm not sure how much you learn about the decisions that the commanders made on the battlefield.

If you enjoy tactical games, you might try Sergeants! on the Eastern Front, a man-to-man tactical combat game with the Germans and the Russians. There is also Sergeants! in the Sand, which brings in the British and Italians; Sergeants! Expansion, which brings in the Americans and the French plus vehicles; and Sergeants! Scenarios Book 1, which adds a bunch of scenarios and some more maps. You can also download more scenarios and maps from their website, www.lostbattalion.com.

There are many miniature games about WWII, and lots of them come from England which would be easier for you to get. Flames of War and Crossfire are just two of the popular ones. There is also Assault Gun, a free set of miniature rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Connor
United Kingdom
Brentwood
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Going back to the Dutch theme you could try Fallschirmjaeger.

Its part of The Gamers SCS series which is relatively simple, even better you can give the Germans a bloody nose in 1940 which doesn't happen very often. On the downside it is out of print so it might be a little hard to track down a copy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Dokter
Netherlands
Rotterdam
ZH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thnks Phill,

That's the problem with these games, how do you get a copy! When not living in the States.

I'm going to Essen, so I think I can buy some games overthere.

For now i think I'll go for:

Deluxe Bitter Woods for the more realistic game
Memoir'44 for the quick play (If I'm correct)

Are there any people out there who want to play!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hancock
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Consider OCS: Dak2, Korea, or Tunisia.

Memoir is a good choice, but its actually less heavy than A&A.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.