Subject: Move declarations to after mobilization? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andy Day

League City
Texas
msg tools
mb
A thought: the game might be smoother and more intuitive if attack declarations were made after maneuvering. Scouting and Bombing would have to be mildly revised, but otherwise it seems like things would function smoothly. Seems to me that it'd make the process of declaring attacks and executing said attacks more intuitive since it would flow more directly from what you do on the board.

What do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Hanson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've talked about this on these forums before I think. I agree it would be more intuitive, and it doesn't seem like it would have any negative impact on the game mechanics as designed. I don't understand why the game doesn't work that way now to be honest.

Of course you would not be playing the rules as written, but so long as you and your opponent(s) are ok with it I say go for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Milster
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmb
I expect this would have a severe effect upon the play balance. Second, you are the 5 star commander of all of your countries forces. This is a strategy game, not a tactical game. You do not tell your armies to go somewhere and once you get there you'll let them know if you want them to attack or not. In the military, you need to have a plan, even if you just want them to hold position. This actually will promote better game play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Hanson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think it would have any effect on game balance at all. You would still have all the same movement and attack restrictions either way. Declaring attacks before maneuver movement does require more planning and works rules-wise better with the bomber and helicopter abilities but I think declaring after maneuver movement is far more intuitive and easier to visualize since you can look at the current board situation rather than trying to imagine a projected future one.

It's a minor issue either way and I don't see why players can't choose which way suits them better. It's not like this game has a competitive scene or something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.