♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
At the end, Thranduil tells Legolas (I still don't understand why he was included, but nevertheless...) to keep his eye on a ranger named Strider. If the events of The Hobbit took place sixty years before those of The Lord of the Rings, and Strider looked to be in his late-30s/early 40s in those movies, how did Thranduil know about him? I haven't seen a lot of nerdrage about this particular point, and I wondered if there were some legitimacy regarding that point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe because Aragorn has some specific kingly blood, he lives longer.

Or something along that ilk.

-DK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Bird
United States
Canton
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's right - Aragorn was actually closer to 80 or 90 at the time of the War of the Ring. He is directly descended from the Kings of Numenor - the first of whom was Elros, Elrond's twin brother.

I don't believe there is any mention in any of the books of Aragorn/Strider having any contact with the Mirkwood elves, though he did travel extensively so it seems likely he'd have passed through at some point.

As a side note, Aragorn lived to be over 200.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mutton javelin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sauronsauronsauronsauronsauronsauronsauron

+1 to all the info above, spot on

and

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Misa Knight
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, remember, he tells Eowyn his age in one of the LotR movies - I think it's The Two Towers - and she's shocked because he doesn't look old at all. (I've only watched the extended edition, so I'm not sure if that's in the shorter versions or not.)

This has to do with being part of the ancient race of kings. They lived much longer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Key Locks
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Since no one has answered the question yet, I will now do so:

He lives longer.

Whew, good thing I was here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
午餐先生
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
He's 87 by the time of the Two Towers. Because he lives longer.

Oh... been answered?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Molnar
United States
Ridgewood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Verkisto wrote:
At the end, Thranduil tells Legolas (I still don't understand why he was included, but nevertheless...) to keep his eye on a ranger named Strider. If the events of The Hobbit took place sixty years before those of The Lord of the Rings, and Strider looked to be in his late-30s/early 40s in those movies, how did Thranduil know about him? I haven't seen a lot of nerdrage about this particular point, and I wondered if there were some legitimacy regarding that point.

Despite the fact that this question has been answered, it was still a remarkably dumb moment in the movie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.