Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
57 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Chit Chat

Subject: I actually needed to explain to my wife last night that "I don't care" means just that. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: FUN! [+] [View All]
Mike Norris
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
...and J-Pop too!!!!
badge
Raina rocks!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Last night, my wife was throwing out ideas for dinner. She recommended Taco bell. I was so hungry that when she asked if that is fine or if I wanted something else, I told her "I don't care".

Now you all know what came next: "Fine, where do you want to go, then?"

I thought we were going to Taco Bell. So I had to explain that when a guy says "I don't care" it means that they don't care...its fine. It doesn't mean "I don't want to go there so pick another place".

How messed up is that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb

About the 2:15 mark.

-DK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
demondude777 wrote:
Last night, my wife was throwing out ideas for dinner. She recommended Taco bell. I was so hungry that when she asked if that is fine or if I wanted something else, I told her "I don't care".

I thought we were going to Taco Bell. So I had to explain that when a guy says "I don't care" it means that they don't care...its fine. It doesn't mean "I don't want to go there so pick another place".

How messed up is that?

Are you new to this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm on your wife's side here. I hate the "I don't care" answer. Why didn't you just say "Sure that sounds fine"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Central Coast
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"I don't care" LITERALLY means you have no opinion either way about the suggestion, but telling a spouse you don't care about a suggestion they made implies that you also don't care about their opinion which led to the suggestion. (And, at the extreme: "I don't care... about you," but I think that leap of logic only starts to happen at the tail end of relationships...)

However, this is something I've only recently figured out after twenty-plus years. I always end up apologizing for these sorts of things, (I'm the one whose communication skills deteriorate the worst when I'm hungry), and once we've both eaten the problem usually fades away...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
demondude777 wrote:

"To a real Mexican restaurant." ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
demondude777 wrote:

How messed up is that?

I don't care.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Norris
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
...and J-Pop too!!!!
badge
Raina rocks!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
Are you new to this?

Haha, no, not really. I have been down this path many times, but she always explains what she means to me....so I figured I would do it back this time. I wanted to see if she would understand from my POV. She didn't

wmshub wrote:
I'm on your wife's side here. I hate the "I don't care" answer. Why didn't you just say "Sure that sounds fine"?

Honestly, I don't really like Taco Bell, for this main reason:

matthean wrote:
"To a real Mexican restaurant." ninja

But the I don't care was because I knew she wanted it and I was hungry enough that I didn't care what food it was...just that it was food.

But it is ironic that, my wife...being mexican, would rather have Taco Bell over authentic anytime.

To the others that posted...thank you! It is so crazy how different men and women are.....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If it falls on me and pins me underneath it, does that still count as seizing the day?
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I think that all right-thinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary, decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am.
mbmbmbmbmb
wmshub wrote:

A better answer would have been "It doesn't matter to me." That gets your point across that you have no opinion either way, and it lets your wife know in language she will understand that you have no preference either way.

The best answer would be: "I'll happily eat wherever you want to go, dear."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
Check out Stately Play for news and reviews of games worth thinking about.
mbmb
demondude777 wrote:

How messed up is that?

I think there are guys who would choose "I don't care" intentionally to send the message that there's a reason they would normally object, but it isn't terribly salient at the moment. Their partners might reasonably fear that the salience of those objections would increase after the first few bites, and she would then suffer resentment for having made the suggestion in the first place.

This all gets even worse when you think about the fact that, when we're distracted or not thinking clearly about answering a question, "I don't care" is a common way to make the question go away. So, even if you meant exactly what you said on this occasion, there's a lot of ambiguity because of the way those words tend to be used at other times. That ambiguity puts her in kind of a crappy position: choosing without really having gotten from you the information she needs to choose wisely. As has already been pointed out, there are several other ways of conveying your position which don't sound like you're just not giving the matter any attention, so it seems sort of inconsiderate to choose the words you did, even if they were literally true.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
...but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind,
badge
...and reaching forth unto those things which are before,...
mbmbmb
lfisher wrote:

I wish I had GG to tip this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Kruczek
United Kingdom
Colchester
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This might be a UK thing but to me "I don't care" carries really negative overtones. It implies that no matter what the decision is, I won't be happy, or even interested.

If I want to say that all of the options are agreeable, I'd say "I don't mind" - i.e. whatever is decided, I won't object.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Souter
United Kingdom
Gravesend
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
matt_k wrote:
This might be a UK thing but to me "I don't care" carries really negative overtones. It implies that no matter what the decision is, I won't be happy, or even interested.

If I want to say that all of the options are agreeable, I'd say "I don't mind" - i.e. whatever is decided, I won't object.

Exactly what I would have said, "I don't mind" is a passive response whereas "I don't care" nearly always comes off as negative.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Never make the mistake of believing that when she says "I don't care," that she doesn't care.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al Ross
United States
Charlotte
NC
flag msg tools
badge
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
demondude777 wrote:

How messed up is that?

I don't care.

Fine!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Norris
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
...and J-Pop too!!!!
badge
Raina rocks!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
matt_k wrote:
This might be a UK thing but to me "I don't care" carries really negative overtones.

It does here too, but it also depends on how it is said, to whom, and the context. Example:

Guy 1: Hey John, do you mind if I eat the last cookie in the box?
Guy 2: Nah, I don't care.

That is a pretty standard reaction that doesn't really carry any negative overtones....but the listener would be expected to intuitively understand that.

That is what caused my issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I will not rest until Biblios is in the Top 100. - Steve Oksienik
United States
Howell
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Well I been watchin' while you been coughin, I've been drinking life while you've been nauseous, and so I drink to health while you kill yourself and I got just one thing that I can offer... Go on and save yourself and take it out on me
mbmbmbmbmb
Girls are stupid. 'Nuff said. Sorry ladies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Pensacola
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stormseeker75 wrote:

I think it's more that they operate on a whole separate wavelength. They think all the time, about a million things at once, and have all these complicated rules and undercurrents.

Guys? We're much simpler.

So communication: girls assume we're doing some sort of convoluted logic stream, when really we're just saying we don't care if we eat tacos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry
United States
Gold Canyon
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather . . . not screaming and yelling like the passengers on his bus
mbmbmbmbmb
stormseeker75 wrote:
You forgot "icky", too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
demondude777 wrote:
But the I don't care was because I knew she wanted it and I was hungry enough that I didn't care what food it was...just that it was food.

Then you need to say "That's fine" because you knew she wanted to go there, and you had no better alternative.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
...but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind,
badge
...and reaching forth unto those things which are before,...
mbmbmb
tickmanfan wrote:
I wish I had GG to tip this!

Well then! Thank you, Debbie!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Society of Watchers
United States
Killbuck
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
Yeah. Some know-it-all with no experience in life is waiting to pounce, but here I go.

Worked in environments dominated by women for years. Had to give it up because of this very thing.

When you talk to a woman, she doesn't hear what you say. She hears everything you've ever said before with particular emphasis on things you never remember saying. She then reads more into your body language than you ever intended to say. She then takes all of that and completely disregards it and hears what she wants to hear.

Just say, "Yes."

Not only that, but they'll make up something about how your "voice sounds" and ascribe feelings to it that you don't actually have. They won't acknowledge they're interpreting things through their own filter of how THEY feel that you didn't know yet that they were having.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah,

I don't care drives my wife insane.

So, we started; one person picks three restaurants they want to go to and the other PICKS one of them to go to. (Of course that was before we had to figure three different kids in the mix)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Norris
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
...and J-Pop too!!!!
badge
Raina rocks!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Guantanamo wrote:
Yeah,

I don't care drives my wife insane.

So, we started; one person picks three restaurants they want to go to and the other PICKS one of them to go to. (Of course that was before we had to figure three different kids in the mix)

I've tried that with my wife. All I get is, "No, I don't want to watch any of those three."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.