Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Professional creative visual communication: www.universalhead.com
badge
Game summaries and reference sheets: www.headlesshollow.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I hate collectible games. I hate they way WotC and companies like them are like pushers selling their drug to gamers, the way people end up spending a fortune for one little plastic figure that cost 0.2c to make, the pre-meditated way the company has it all worked out, and especially the fact that you don't even know what you're getting when you spend your hard-earned cash.

But, dammit, this game looks good. So, how can I get away with getting myself a good set that I can play with my usual gaming friend (no tournaments, no collecting, no hanging out in game stores to trade with sweaty little twelve year olds) as cheaply as possible?

On ebay, a set of common and uncommon figures for one 'aspect' (16 figs) is going for $12. If I got all the commons and uncommons for all 4 aspects, and a starter set, would that be enough?

I really don't want to be another victim of the evil marketing plan, I just want enough figures to be able to play good games of Dreamblade. Please help with your suggestions! Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer Garbanzo
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ask yourself:

Could I do Heroin just a couple of times and walk away?

Because that's what you're looking at. So bad for you, but soooo gooood. It all depends on how strong you are.

You may want to consider constructing a quit plan before you get involved. You know, a couple of favorite games and a couple of favorite opponents to lock yourself in a room with for a couple of weeks while you get clean. I don't recommend cold turkey. I've been there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer Garbanzo
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to be up front and honest:

One of my friends is a collector who currently feeds my Dreamblade habit. I have a 'band set aside in his collection. I've played a bunch of times without spending any money.

If the Heroin analogy is entirely consistent, he's going to tell me I can't use his minis anymore around the end of the month.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Brown
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Your enjoyment will be based around how happy you are with the warbands you build.

If you are aiming to play competitively you will have problems.

If you are looking to just play casually with one or two friends with similar supply then a couple of sets of commons and uncommons will be perfect with the occasional rare that you decide to buy on the singles market.

The game changes based upon what abilities the minis have so don't be afraid of investing in some of the rares, but obviously don't go silly buying the really expensive ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a 2 Starters and 4 boosters. This is enough for 2 players to enjoy the game. Will you be able to min/max your team? Probably not, but you're both on equal footing, so it does not matter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Kowalczyk
United States
Somonauk
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel the same way you do. I HATE collectable games, I spend enough money on games where I know what I getcry But I too was lured by this unique game. I did purchase a starter kit for the map and dice, 3 boosters and a couple of rares from ebay. Even with this I can see my games becoming stale after a while. I need to add a set of commons and preferrably also uncommons for this to be a longer term deal with options that won't grow stale. Or I can just buy a bunch more boosters, plus a bunch of the new boosters that are coming out soon, maybe another starter set......................... zombie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason -
United States
Unspecified
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is basically what I asked in my "All or None?" thread and I was encouraged by the responses. I've looked at the stats for the common and uncommon figs and there seems to be plenty enough variety among them. I've bought two starters (for an abundance of dice and two sets of rules) and have bought on eBay a full set of uncommons and all of the uncommons I didn't have from the starters. When those arrive I should have a good sized pile from which two people can construct warbands. I'm toying with two ways to handle warband construction: 1) each player is randomly assigned two of the four aspects and they each go about building their warband from the figs for those two aspects, or 2) a draft where all figs are fairgame (for the draft, I'd probably do it 1 fig, 2 figs, 2 figs, 2 figs, etc. which I think would make the draft fairer and would allow players to grab two figs with a perceived synergy without worry of being stymied). I was hoping to give it a whirl this weekend, but I'm not sure if the uncommons will arrive in time.

I'll probably still pick up a couple of boosters of the upcoming second release for the heck of it. Actually, if there is some power creep, future cheap priced commons could act like powerful rares when mixed into the above --that could be good for the casual player approach you're asking about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Little
United States
Eden Prairie
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Karate Chop!
mbmbmbmbmb
I purchased 1 starter and 2 boosters, and unless I am completely blown away by the gameplay, that's probably all I'll invest in. As a side note, from these, I only got 2 duplicates. A nice variety of figures, abilities and options to choose from.

I must say, however, that the rulebook is one of the best I've read, and really gets me jazzed to play the game -- excellent examples, clearly written rules listed in a logical order, and hinting at a nice blend of strategy and planning with a dash of the wild whim of luck.

I'm hoping that 1 starter/2 boosters will be sufficient to get the full flavor of the game. One of the players I game with has far more figures, I believe, but considering the mechanics of the game, and the variable "summoning" potential available via Spawn Point die rolls, I can't imagine fielding a team of all rares being that much more dominating than a good mix afforded by even a small sample size of figs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hector Lopez
United States
El Paso
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think playing the game with a small set of figures will give you a good sense whether you like the game or not. Then you can decide whether you want to invest more or not. I'll warn you that the temptation will be there to get more figures, because if you like this game you will find yourself thinking, "Man that was fun--now I wonder if I had this figure or that one if I could pull this different strategy off?" Granted this game does not really require you to play rares in order to make the game fun. Try playing the Star Wars game without Han Solo, Boba Fett or Darth Maul and you know what I mean.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stephen broadbent
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Jason I did the same thing bought one starter and one booster but I unfortunately feel into a deep passionate love with the game and I have bought much more. I really think you will love the game so get ready to spend some moola. But what does it matter in the end anyways you can't take it with you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Choi
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I would recommend playing in a sealed pack tourney.

Why? Because it's really the most fun way to acquire the figures. To just open them and lay them out on the table is just not as fun as opening and immediately fielding them in a battle situation.

This also gives you a feel for what your pieces can immediately do.

But it sounds like you may be quite resistant to this idea. If so, I'd go for just 2 starters. That gives you enough for 2 people to play, a spare map and loads of extra dice which is something you need for this game.

Buying lots on ebay is ok too, but you'll still need the dice from somewhere.

Hope that helps...have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Universal Head
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, thanks for the flood of responses folks. I see some of the usual suspects are into this game.

I must admit though, I'm still very undecided. I won't be playing competitively or in tourneys, in fact most of my game playing is done with one long-time friend, and I've got a pretty big collection of games, so we'll only be playing this occasionally, not devoting our lives and wallet to it. That's why I just want enough for the occasional good game.

Also if bought in the shops it's pretty pricey here - the starter set is as much as a Kosmos 2 player game. Due to postage costs it's only worth getting unpacked single sets on ebay.

The 2 starters and 4 boosters suggestion sounds more my speed (even that adds up to over the cost of a big box FFG game). Actually I see that ynnen is happy with 1 starter and 2 boosters - even better ...

There's several mentions of getting 2 or more sets of commons/uncommons - why would I need to do that? Wouldn't it be enough to have one entire set of commons and uncommons. Why multiples?

Stupid this collectible business - why can't they just release a damn game with a few expansions?! Don't answer that - of course it's all about the money!

Thanks for the advice all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell Hicken
United States
La Verne
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is a popup.
mbmbmbmbmb
UniversalHead wrote:

There's several mentions of getting 2 or more sets of commons/uncommons - why would I need to do that? Wouldn't it be enough to have one entire set of commons and uncommons. Why multiples?

You can use duplicates in your armies, just like duplicates in Magic. Some figures will work better together, since they affect only other pieces with a specific attribute.

(I'm still on the fence with one starter and one booster - it's really hard to justify the cost of this game, IMHO.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R S
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no problems with collectible games. I like them and play frequently. I have complete sets of all D&D, Star Wars, Axis & Allies, Dreamblade, and Mage Knight minis.

That being said, this game is REAL easy to put a team together. You can have up to 3 of a single mini in your squad btw. My non-collectible oriented buddies love this game as well. Most use my figs but they have started getting their own.

Try it with a friend who already owns some if you prefer...I'm sure you will love it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DON'T DO IT!!

There are SO many great games out there that you know you want to play just as bad. Why pay over a hundred bucks getting this one up and running, when that same cash could buy you like 7-8 smokin' games?!?

Pull up now, before it's too late. Otherwise, the pusher wins again...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Daneman
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, the boards and all the characters (in paper form) are available on the publisher website. So you can just print and play with all the released characters. Sure you don't get the pretty miniatures, but if all you want to do is play the game then this could be sufficient.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Smit
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mb
You can also play on Vassal.

Dreamblade is a great game but if youre looking for something to play on a budget then youre looking in the wrong place. Even if you only want to get a starter and a couple of boosters youll be paying as much as two or three other games and you wont have enough to get into constructing in any serious way. Dreamblade really is very expensive even compared to other collectables, something like magic the gathering is going to cost you about 1/3 as much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Werth
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
There's no real getting around having to purchase a starter box - so that's $20. Common figures go for as little as .25 cents on the secondary market - you can outfit two warbands for $8. Will your tactical options suffer? Not that much.

Keep in mind, due to crappy design, you can't play competitively at the moment without 3 scarab warcharms, and each one of those costs $35+. So don't worry about competitive play. Like Magic, it tends to just ruin the game experience anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Smit
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mb
From what ive seen there are some competitive lists out there that dont even use valour at all, and those that do rarely use three warcharms. The warcharm is undoubtably very good but im not sure that i see the merit in using 3 of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Shanahan
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Quote:
From what ive seen there are some competitive lists out there that dont even use valour at all, and those that do rarely use three warcharms. The warcharm is undoubtably very good but im not sure that i see the merit in using 3 of it.

There is no doubt that having a couple of warcharms is necessary if you are playing the current dominant metagame warband,Chessmaster.That's not to say though that you cannot be competitive without it.After all, the first expansion is due out in a few weeks and that will change the landscape, I'm sure (or the dreamscape...)

The point is, Dreamblade is a terrific game,but if you are on a budget, it's not for you.Despite what is said, the best models are mostly rares,of which you get one per booster.Can you play with all commons and a few uncommons?Sure you can,and that will be okay for a while,but then,it won't...You'll want the great looking Dragon, or the neat location,or you'll think ,hey, this band I made with my commons and uncommons is a great concept,but wouldn't it be better with a warcharm,or an Eater of Hope ,or whatever?So then,guess what,you're quitting the game and selling the now completely worthless commons on eBay,or,you guessed it, you're buying more figs.

The other thing is,you'll get tired of just playing your friend,maybe he'll get bored with it,or worse yet, he'll like it and buy his own figs and start kicking your butt whenever you play.So then you tramp to the store to get more figs,so you can be competitive against his brand spanking new Dreadmorph Ogre,while there, you play in a nice little 6 man Edge tourney, everybody's nice, they all have neat concepts using various models,some of which you've never even seen, maybe you win a promotional fig,and there you are,hooked, with a $30 a week Dreamblade habit...

The bottom line...Is Dreamblade an excellent game?Yes,but...it's expensive and new sets will be released every three months for at least the next year and a half.Can you just buy the commons and play with your buddy?Sure,but the fun will wear off.Tread lightly here,I figured one starter and two boosters back in early september,two boosters has become seven and I can't wait for the expansion...

All that said,I just get a kick out of the guys who scream "don't do it, CMGs and CCGs are evil,you can get three games for what you will spend on DB or Magic".This kind of stuff comes from guys who have 300 game collections,where half of what they have has never been punched.All of this is a habit,CCGs,CMGs, Board games,Video games,Tabletop minis games like 40K, you name it,just choose your drug of preference and enjoy...

Ew1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Universal Head
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is starting to remind me of that old cartoon where he had a little angel on one shoulder saying "don't do it" and a little devil on the other saying "do it!"

To be totally specific, if I bought a starter set, a set of Fear commons and uncommons and a set of Madness commons and uncommons, do I have enough there to have an occasional enjoyable game?

I'm not on a serious budget or anything, but I don't want to spend the money and have an unplayable game, and I don't want to have an $x-a-week habit. I'm saving that for Battlelore ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander B.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
I have spent $1,000s on collectible games, I got a case of Dream blade and it really isn't that good.

It is ok, and if you can keep it strictly casual (in other words non-competitive play just for fun) and don't mind STILL spending a few $100 on figures, then it can be ok.

I was disapponited in the painting quality of the miniatures, and feel that there is too much luck in it for the most part. But, to each is/her own

I'd be glad to spend a ton of money on a game that was worth a ton of money, but poorly painted minis in game that is fairly imbalanced and has too much luck? No thanks. I'll keep mine for casual play though, so no need to bother writing "can I have your stuff?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Smit
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mb
I agree that both the sculpts and paint jobs of the minis is really poor. Theyre also so big that even a reasonable amount of them becomes a pain in the ass to store.
It would have been heaps cooler (and cheaper, and less profitable) in card format!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac McKinlay
United States
Portland
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Yes, it is sort of a card game.
And something feels wrong about it.
The sad thing is - it's a good abstract design. The game would have had a future if there were clear finite sets with simple selection set up rules. But the collectability is a quick sand in which the design will be lost. No one will remember it in six years. (Well, of course gamers at BBG will remember; but they won't care.)
Also, most of the minis are just gross and unappealing. The theme is sort of sick.
And those big square bases make them unusable in other games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Universal Head
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, this is all starting to put me right off the idea I must admit.

See Wizards of the Coast? If you'd just released a game I would have bought it by now!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.