Professor of Pain
United States
St. Joseph
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
On at least two fronts, Public Perception Is Just Wrong About Key Obama Issues. According to a new Bloomberg Politics Poll, "By 73 percent to 21 percent, the public says the federal budget deficit has gotten bigger during the Obama presidency." While in point of fact it has actually shrunk by 2/3 during Obama's presidency reign of terror. Also, "By 53 percent to 29 percent, Americans believe that Obama has sent fewer undocumented immigrants home than were deported a decade earlier." While the Obama administration caliphate has actually increased deportations by 31% compared to a decade earlier.

So, who's to blame for the misinformed public? Obama - not informing the public adequately? The media - sucking at their ostensible job of informing the public? The opposition - willfully lying and misinforming the public? The public - not paying attention?

For the record, I think both of these are bad policies.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The Obama administration is supremely bad at messaging whereas the GOP, when it doesn't involve women, are extremely good.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

In lay terms I'm of the mind that absolute values, not ratios, are very important. That yacht can be 90% off. I still can't afford the $250,000 price tag nor to maintain it even if it were free.

With all this talk about unsustainability, I don't understand how an ever increasing debt does not bother these same people.
.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
isaacc wrote:

In lay terms I'm of the mind that absolute values, not ratios, are very important. That yacht can be 90% off. I still can't afford the $250,000 price tag nor to maintain it even if it were free.

if that $250k was only 0.01% of your income, then you probably could...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald
United States
New Alexandria
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It's Obama's fault. Duh.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
Check out Stately Play for news and reviews of games worth thinking about.
Avatar
mbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
That statistic, that O cut the deficit is still one of the funniest stats ever tossed around as if it means anything.

The deficit was 100 billion here, 300 billion there and then Bush and the Dems pushed through their trillion dollar bail out packages.

Since then the deficit has returned to mere half trillions of dollars.

He doubled the deficit, but if you only look at a couple bad years, which most people agree was a huge scam, the deficit has shrunk.

Please ignore the fact that the DEBT is going up at a record pace no matter how you slice it.


Surely you'd agree that it would be way worse if the deficit had actually continued to rise, though, right? That's what people think happened.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric "Shippy McShipperson" Mowrer
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Ami. Geek.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
People are notoriously poor at differentiating between "deficit spending" and "total debt". Mostly because politicians like to brag about cutting deficit spending as if that is super helpful when the total debt load is in the trillions of dollars. "Hey guys, look at me! I'm growing our out of control debt slower than it was growing before! Yay!"

That cutting of deficit spending this time happened under threat of shutting down the government, something the Republicans took a shellacking for at the polls. I'm sure it we will go back to normal out of control bloat soon.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
Check out Stately Play for news and reviews of games worth thinking about.
Avatar
mbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
rinelk wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:
That statistic, that O cut the deficit is still one of the funniest stats ever tossed around as if it means anything.

The deficit was 100 billion here, 300 billion there and then Bush and the Dems pushed through their trillion dollar bail out packages.

Since then the deficit has returned to mere half trillions of dollars.

He doubled the deficit, but if you only look at a couple bad years, which most people agree was a huge scam, the deficit has shrunk.

Please ignore the fact that the DEBT is going up at a record pace no matter how you slice it.


Surely you'd agree that it would be way worse if the deficit had actually continued to rise, though, right? That's what people think happened.


That IS what is happening. The deficit was horribly high. It went up 10x that amount for a few years due to 1x obscene bailouts.

The deficit, after those one time pork spending figures are out of the calculations, has doubled.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not cheering for repubs. However, the OP is a lie.


But the deficit is smaller now than it was last year, and smaller last year than the year before that. From http://www.usgovernmentspending.com/federal_deficit_chart.ht..., these are the Obama budgets:

FY 2014: $483 bln
FY 2013: $680 bln
FY 2012: $1,087 bln
FY 2011: $1,300 bln
FY 2010: $1,294 bln

Would it be worse if FY 2012 were higher than FY 2011, and 2013 higher than 2012, and so on?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
North Central Louisiana / No Longer A Resident of the Shreveport/Bossier City Area
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb


jmilum wrote:
The Obama administration is supremely bad at messaging whereas the GOP, when it doesn't involve women, are extremely good.
\
Just because both the Republican Party and the various billionaire-funded Tea Party organizations and Super Pacs have for the short run have been "good" at outright lying, making up bullshit, and scapegoating Obama doesn't mean that they're gonna be able to keep up the charade. After all, they're not exactly good at hiding their true colors.





 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.