Popular Tags: [View All]
Sheldon Smith
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blue Moon City is VERY fun to play! A wonderful mix of many "mini-mechanics" seamlessly flowing together. Below are some of the agonizing decisions one is often faced with:

1) Using a card for its special power vs. its normal point value.

2) Discarding a card you don't immediately need in order to increase your chance of getting an even better card on the draw.

3) The Obelisk chart works well as it makes it harder & harder to place as time goes by.

4) Going for majority of dragon scales, but not too quickly - or else nobody helps you since players would rather use their dragon cards for their normal strength instead of their special ability.

5) Getting in on a player's 2-cube lead to guarantee SOME results vs. the negative cost of giving that player their set of goods too easily & early (since it would cause them to produce before their next turn).

The 3D structure design artwork is downright stunning (the cards look pretty slick too)! The cards themselves have a nice logical understanding to them, so learning what the cards do is surprisingly simple - especially given how many mechanisms are all at play here.

The game is designed to be a race, and so it's possible that not everyone will get the same # of turns. I do not see this as a flaw, but a quality feature to the game - as going first does have a balanced disadvantage of starting completely off on your own without the ability to "leech" off of others.

The flipping tiles and movement system rings slightly familiar to Louis XIV, but ultimately I feel this is a superior game. For one, it's not as "fiddley" (great job as usual, Knizia). But more importantly, at the end you don't feel cheated by the "luck of the draw" determining who the winner is. It also plays in just under an hour too! There is quite a LOT of game here for the time it plays in. What a delight this turned out to be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rod Fage
Canada
Kanata
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good review. I felt much the same way. I have only played once and I am looking forward to a smoother game in the future.

ROD>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas S
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent review. I concur with your findings

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kane Klenko
United States
Ridgeway
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You speak truth.

Blue Moon City has become my absolute favorite game, for the reasons you just stated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rogers
United States
San Ramon
California
flag msg tools
Ditto.

This game has very quickly risen to the top of my favorite games list. Its definitely one I expect to be playing regularly for the foreseeable future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Pulles
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
But more importantly, at the end you don't feel cheated by the "luck of the draw" determining who the winner is.

I totally disagree with this comment... in every game I have played so far, the winner and one other person ended up fighting over one last city area... the first person to draw the right colour card gained more crystals and won. It came down to a card drawing contest. Fun? I don't think so. I had more fun playing Masons... and it has the same card drawing problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.