Subject: 8 bit glory! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bill Stripp
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
I picked up a copy of Pixel Glory at Gen Con and just recetly had the order fulfilled. Since then my family has managed to get in a few games and I feel I can give a pretty good review of the game.

Components: (7/10)
==================
It's a card game, and the cards are decent enough. There are tokens for health which are nice, but basic. I'd love to see a few spares. The art on the cards is great if you ever loved 8 bit video games. There are plenty of monsters, but the spells are exactly the amount you need if you are playing a 4 player game. The biggest complaint I would have is that the text for abilities is small and my 60+ year old father who likes games could not read the text easily enough to play.

Gameplay: (7/10)
================
There are two phases to the game a draft where each player has 1-9 and can use each number once to bid for the right to choose spells to build your deck first. There is a bit of a balancing mechanism where you have to take a more basic attacks for the better spells, thus bulking up your deck and decreasing the likelyhood of getting something good on your turn.

The second phase of the game is casting your spells on the monsters in the center. There are three out always and there are 14 for each game that can come up. When one is defeated, another takes it's place immediately. The trick is not when you can kill something, but trying to make sure you don't set someone else up to kill something.

In the end, the gameplay is fun, and not terribly challenging. There are enough decisions that affect the fate of the game where you feel that you have some control of the outcome. However, much of the gameplay is dictated by the draw and combination of cards you receive.

Replayability: (7/10)
=====================
The permutations are pretty much endless, given that you have an auction mechanic that's randomized, and random monsters which change from game to game. However, the spells do tend to have some similar effects and the large number of basic abilities does make it hard to plan for any sort of combination play. So while no game plays the same, many games feel similar.

Value: (8/10)
=============
The game is reasonably priced and the components seem to be a good value for your dollar.

Overall: (7/10)
===============
Pixel Glory is a nice game that is fun and quick to play. It is easy to teach and has some nostalgic elements to it. For the money, you should get some good play out of it and it's quick enough to play as a filler between other games. I like the theme and the auction element to deck building is enjoyable.

There is not enough depth in the strategy to make me want to play it repeatedly over and over, but it's fun enough that I've pulled it out several times already and make a really nice compliment to an evening of gaming. I do not regret the money I've spent on it at all and see myself playing it sporadically over the years.

Should you buy it? Well if you like drafts and nostalgic light card games, yes. It's worth it, fun, and can be easily played and transported.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.